PDA

View Full Version : Hello I hope this turns out to be a bargain

m4rkyboy
11-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Hello,
I have just brought a 98 1.6se (engine cover has 1.6sr, not sure if it is 8v or 16v) which I can only describe as immaculate although I commited the cardinal sin and got it in the dark. It has 105k on the clock and a short MOT/Tax.
It does have its problems though:
Probable Head Gasket failure due to expansion bottle being filled with what looks like mushroom soup, but it is not pressurising and holds its temperature well apart from thermostat being stuck open or possibly removed.
Central locking problems, remote not working and the key turns 360 degrees in the passenger door.
But I thought that it had to be worth the £200 I paid for it.
I feel confident that I can sort the problems and will be able to enjoy the first VW I have owned.
Is there a how to guide for the head gasket? I try to avoid Haynes if possible as with previous cars I have owned I have found that if there is an easy way and a hard way to do something Haynes always seem to show the hard way!
I am hoping that the central locking maybe just a clip come loose and the remote needs re-pairing.
Well thats my rambling over with for now but I will no doubt be back tomorrow when I start examing it in daylight.

NickPicks
11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Welcome.

The mushroom soup could be becaue someone has mixed G12 coolant with blue ethylene glycol - it tends to go brown and sludgy if you do that.

If you swing over to the VW Golf Mk4 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)section of the forum, I expect you'll find plenty of help there.

£200 is only just above scrap value, so I think you've done well there.

If you look on the sticker in the spare wheel well or service book, the engine code there will tell people in the Golf forum which engine you've got (8v / 16v) etc.

Good luck with it.

JimC64
14-01-2011, 01:51 AM
welcome aboard

This is a great place to be with some good peeps n great techs......There's a fair bit of knowledge around and a million posts to read, there's fun to be had too and always a laugh or two:D

Post up some pics of your baby when you can.........See ya around the place no doubt :beerchug: