PDA

View Full Version : A5 sportback 3rd seatbelt in back seat

Garrrywmartin
10-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Is it legally possible to add a 3rd seatbelt to the back seat of my a5 sportback? There is lots of room and a company in london has stated that they can do it but I stay in central Scotland and would prefer to use a local company if possible. Please help!

tlionhart
10-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I guess if it meets EU/UK standards then I don't see why not. Coaches and busses get them retrofitted all the time.

crazyhorse66
18-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I have complianed to Audi UK about the lack of a 3rd seat belt in the back of the A5 Sportback, their response was very poor and negative I am now trying to start a campaign to get them to offer a retrofit service - anyone else interested in joining in?

Bratty
18-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I think that the main problem is the legislation aspect and not the physical hardship of fitting the third seatbelt.

On your registration document section S.1 it will state the "Number of seats, including driver". if you change the configuration then you would have to get the change "Type Approved" which would not be the end of the world but could involve further implication with insurance etc.

If you were just too fit a rear lap strap, using the two existing fixing points I am sure that no subsequent roadside Police stop would even think of questioning wether or not it was OK? but the responsibility would fall directly onto your shoulders (quite literally) if the car was in an accident and the third seat was occupied!

I am not at all surprised by AUDI ´s response, after all they are selling it as described (and once you have bought the car they seem very reluctant to enter into proactive solutions to any problems that you might have).

Dunk

kite
18-03-2011, 08:12 PM
i think the A7 is the same.
i know someones who is so ****** with the "no third seatbelt"
He is going to sell his A5 and will not be replacing it with A7 as expected.

onemanparty
22-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I have complianed to Audi UK about the lack of a 3rd seat belt in the back of the A5 Sportback, their response was very poor and negative I am now trying to start a campaign to get them to offer a retrofit service - anyone else interested in joining in?

Why complain it was launched as an A5 Sportback i.e. 4 seats as with A5 Coupe and Cabriolet. That why there is an Audi A4?

johnntonic
20-06-2011, 02:13 AM
has anyone ever fitted one, i would like to for very occasional use - maybe just a lapbelt - any recommendations on companies?

AndyMic
20-06-2011, 02:42 PM
i think the A7 is the same.
i know someones who is so ****** with the "no third seatbelt"
He is going to sell his A5 and will not be replacing it with A7 as expected.

The current (2012) A7 now sits 3 in the rear.
I believe all cars delivered from September will be 5 seaters unless 4 seats are specified

kite
20-06-2011, 06:19 PM
The current (2012) A7 now sits 3 in the rear.
I believe all cars delivered from September will be 5 seaters unless 4 seats are specified
Thanks I'll let him know, might stop him buying a Passat CC

onemanparty
19-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I eat my words - MY12 (Face lifted) A5 Sportback option of 3 seats in the back do not know the cost

Guest 2
19-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Found the 2012MY brochure on Audi.de and found the bit about the third seatbelt.
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/a5.jpg

Translated that means:
Rear seats, 3-seater
Split rear seat and 1 / 3, 2 / 3 or completely folded;
including third Headrest and 3 seat belt
Note: Use only in conjunction with standard seats and front sports seats
forward order

Seems to be €300 in Germany

Hope this helps

Link to original document - http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/pdf/preisliste_my_2012.Par.0014.File.pdf/970082_pl_a5_rz.pdf

onemanparty
19-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I have been told it will be £250 in the UK

preetkk
27-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Can I get one added to my Audi A5 Sportback S-Line 2010?

mcgary
02-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi
Can anyone answer the above question . Will the rear seats from a new model 3 seat option fit a 2010 model?

thank you

Schoey
12-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Has anyone retrofitted the 3rd belt? Is it possible?

Also, those with the 3rd belt already - is it a 3 point harness or just a lap belt? Photo's would be useful too if possible.... (sorry, asking a bit much there, but.....)

Thanks in advance
Paul

elgaz
16-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Bump for an old thread.

At this stage, has anyone managed to retrofit a 3rd belt to effectively turn their A5 Sportback rear 2-seater into a rear 3-seater?

Dougie2205
22-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Hi, I’m looking to find out if anyone has had a third belt fitted and if it is legal? Also can someone provide a referral in the Herts/beds or London area? Many thanks in advance.
I have a A5 2011 sline (3.2 Petrol) auto

elgaz
23-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Hi, I’m looking to find out if anyone has had a third belt fitted and if it is legal? Also can someone provide a referral in the Herts/beds or London area? Many thanks in advance.
I have a A5 2011 sline (3.2 Petrol) auto

I posted previously about this on behalf of a work colleague. He ended up getting it done, and it was made legal - however he is in the South of Ireland so not sure if the same legality would apply in the UK. He enquired with his insurance company about legality and was told as long as it was signed off by an authorised engineer (aka an engineer's report) and passed the NCT (their version of MOT), it was fine. He got extremely lucky in that shortly after registering the car, they mistakenly filled out the registration book as a 5-seater and not 4, so this made his paperwork a lot easier once the work was done.

The seatbelt mechanism (the belt, retractor and so on) is only one part of the job. To satisfy safety requirements he had to change the rear bench and back seat also (his one only seated 2 in the rear, the middle part of the seat was effectively a flat area). This was also needed to facilitate the fitment of the seatbelt buckle down at the seat level, and also a centre headrest. So there's a bit of cost involved; he was able to source nearly new and unmarked seats from a breaker, then sell his originals.

Sorry I can't help with a referral in your area. I'd suggest your first port of call should be your insurance company to ensure that they will recognise and cover you for this work if you get it done, in the unlikely event you'd have an accident and someone sitting in the middle of the rear would be injured. Assuming they're happy for you to proceed, then I'd check also with DVA as to what they require to recognise this as a legally made amendment. I can't imagine they'd have a major issue if it's done properly, they allow engine swaps and God knows what else.

Dougie2205
23-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I posted previously about this on behalf of a work colleague. He ended up getting it done, and it was made legal - however he is in the South of Ireland so not sure if the same legality would apply in the UK. He enquired with his insurance company about legality and was told as long as it was signed off by an authorised engineer (aka an engineer's report) and passed the NCT (their version of MOT), it was fine. He got extremely lucky in that shortly after registering the car, they mistakenly filled out the registration book as a 5-seater and not 4, so this made his paperwork a lot easier once the work was done.

The seatbelt mechanism (the belt, retractor and so on) is only one part of the job. To satisfy safety requirements he had to change the rear bench and back seat also (his one only seated 2 in the rear, the middle part of the seat was effectively a flat area). This was also needed to facilitate the fitment of the seatbelt buckle down at the seat level, and also a centre headrest. So there's a bit of cost involved; he was able to source nearly new and unmarked seats from a breaker, then sell his originals.

Sorry I can't help with a referral in your area. I'd suggest your first port of call should be your insurance company to ensure that they will recognise and cover you for this work if you get it done, in the unlikely event you'd have an accident and someone sitting in the middle of the rear would be injured. Assuming they're happy for you to proceed, then I'd check also with DVA as to what they require to recognise this as a legally made amendment. I can't imagine they'd have a major issue if it's done properly, they allow engine swaps and God knows what else.

Thanks elgaz - I need to digest and work the best way forward. Cheers

ItsDarragh
02-03-2019, 11:58 AM
Can you PM me and telll me who your mate is and where he had it done in ireland

Iain Drage
27-07-2019, 10:22 PM
I sold mine and bought a Q7.
It was an option that I didnt think of ticking. Had a bench seat and foolishly, I didnt think i needed to ask for an extra seatbelt.
The correct way is whole new rear seat-both pad and back. They should be three point harnesses, even the rear centre belt.

Jonny747!
28-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Mine came with 3point Centre seatbelt factory fitted with sports seats. So should be able to get retro fitted

sol1
20-04-2020, 03:18 PM
I had one of these cars, and I did not realise this was even an option!