PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used tandem pump?

nickeym1
10-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Ok fellas just wondering what your thoughts on buying a used tandem pump from a car dismantlers. I have found one and he wants 100euro for it. Its from a 03 a4 awx engine. I asked was there any comeback on it and he said if there was any problems i could bring it back.

nickeym1
10-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry forgot to mention i was quoted 480 euro for the pump hence why im enquiring about buying a used one. Ill be spending over a thousand euro on clutch flywheel and tbelt next month and just cant afford another 480 on top

Columbo
10-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Don't narrow yourself down to the same year and enging code.

Try and get one off a more modern PD tdi. They still fitted them to the 2.0 tdi PD engine.

Later the better as the early ones leak from the front cover. Try and get one without the rubber seals and get the upgraded metal gasket.

I've just bought a 038 145 209 M off of a 2.0 tdi for my 2002 AWX engine.

Will let you know about fitting second hand pumps next week.

nickeym1
10-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Don't narrow yourself down to the same year and enging code.

Try and get one off a more modern PD tdi. They still fitted them to the 2.0 tdi PD engine.

Later the better as the early ones leak from the front cover. Try and get one without the rubber seals and get the upgraded metal gasket.

I've just bought a 038 145 209 M off of a 2.0 tdi for my 2002 AWX engine.

Will let you know about fitting second hand pumps next week.
cheers for the info mate much appreciated. Up to what year could i get then and what year did audi make the pump more reliable? I am very wary about buying a used one but if it was an updated one i would feel better about it. I did change the gasket in the one i have now but the one i took out was metal and the one i got was metal also and it still leaks and gettin worse i think cos when i park up even for 10 or 15 mins on a wet day i can see diesel spillage under the car

Columbo
15-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Fitted the pump, made sure i flushed it out before fitting. Then once fitted i used my suction pump to draw plenty through just incase any nasties were in there.
The one i removed was rubber gaskets and the one i fitted was the metal one use type.
As long as you get the same part number with the highest letter on the end like 'M' you will be OK. The pump i fitted was made by Bosch and seemed alot better made than the 'A' version LUK pump i removed.
To be honest your pump is probably leaking from the pump cover not the metal gasket part.

nickeym1
15-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Fitted the pump, made sure i flushed it out before fitting. Then once fitted i used my suction pump to draw plenty through just incase any nasties were in there.
The one i removed was rubber gaskets and the one i fitted was the metal one use type.
As long as you get the same part number with the highest letter on the end like 'M' you will be OK. The pump i fitted was made by Bosch and seemed alot better made than the 'A' version LUK pump i removed.
To be honest your pump is probably leaking from the pump cover not the metal gasket part.
Thanks for the reply mate glad you got it sorted how long it take you to do the job and how did you get on with the bolt underneath (the awkward one) and what did you use for it cos i changed the gasket but the one that one was there was already a metal one and that bolt was a bitch to get at. Also you said you used a suction pump after installing can you explain how you done it and where you got it cos i did not do anythin like this

bk.bas99
19-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the reply mate glad you got it sorted how long it take you to do the job and how did you get on with the bolt underneath (the awkward one) and what did you use for it cos i changed the gasket but the one that one was there was already a metal one and that bolt was a bitch to get at. Also you said you used a suction pump after installing can you explain how you done it and where you got it cos i did not do anythin like this
Did you use a secondhand pump...did you fit it Ok and how was it. I might have same issue so just wondering if worth buiying one form a scrappy. If it's not too difficult to fit and it's only £60 I will give it a go as a new one is min £250...so that's 4 secondhand ones lol