PDA

View Full Version : Question Side lights fixed on, windows & locking inoperative

Trickystitch
08-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Car: 2003 Passat Diesel Estate: Before the RAC arrive, has anyone had any experience of the four side lights staying permanently on (effectively disabling the indicators) and no electric windows or central locking? The fuse is intact. Thanks in advance for any advice.

snapdragon
08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
If you mean the indicators are stuck on, it sounds like the usual comfort control module calamity due to water under the passenger side carpet. (Where the CCM is located)

I see you are know so may not have heard of this, but the pollen filter under the windscreen leaks water under the carpet, this is made worse by the plenum chamber drains blocking with leaves etc.. and so the pollen filter becomes the new drain.

Trickystitch
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for that. Should have said indicators rather than side lights. A bit of americana slipped in. I suspect you are right as the car was parked nose down last night in fairly heavy rain (normally nose up a slight gradient). Will get someone with the VW software to run diagnostics. Cheers.

snapdragon
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
You ought to have had a recall letter about it, so going to VW and making them pay may be a possibility. make sure you say the plenum chamber was cleaned every year, as per the service schedule or they wil use it as an excuse.

martin1810
08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I would check the fuses again. Indicators may be failed hazard light relay.

Trickystitch
09-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Unfortunatley it is a flodded passenger carpet as per snapdragon. In fact it is saturated. The rear foot well fills with water if you push down on the carpet. I'll dry it out as best i can but suspect I will have to wait until Summer to get the central locking and windows working again i.e. toast the car in the sun light.

Any other ideas for drying out saturated carpet and insulation backing in the middle of winter without takng the car apart?

burnleywhite
09-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm having probs with my rear passenger door (central locking has jacked on it) drivers side rear it happens intermittently, and the carpet under the front passenger seat isn't p*ss wet through, but defo damp. The electric window (front passenger) doesn't work...it just screams and grinds to show it aint happy at the button being pressed :aargh4:

Mine's a 2003 2.0 SE petrol and has been a brilliant motor, just a couple of things like this that have happened relatively recently.

Have to get it checked out, spoils my enjoyment of driving a pretty nice car overall.