PDA

View Full Version : Question Sorry not another CCM wiring question!

KieranM
07-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi,

first my car:

R (late 97) 1.9 TDI estate SE 110bhp, AFN engine code

Symptoms -
Fuel cap release doesn't work - no noise
Both passenger windows don't work (can hear a clicking from the passenger door when button is pressed)
Rear passenger lock is intermittent - tries to rise and lock but doesn't sometimes, sometimes does

Question -
What do the 4 black wires in CCM wiring loom that go into one wire do?
What do the 4 yellow wires in CCM wiring loom that go into one wire do?

And are they related?

There doesn't appear to be any damage to the CCM itself.

Here is a picture of what I'm faced with

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=16680986&l=fbe5c518b3&id=772140626

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=16680986&l=fbe5c518b3&id=772140626

martin1810
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Wires and what they do are on my web site. Do you have rear electric windows as that makes a difference to the wiring.

KieranM
07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
It has electric windows all round. I think I saw your website, and couldn't see a yellow wire, but I'll check again thanks.

KieranM
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I looked and I see that the black wires are to do with rear locks, but I don't see anything to do with windows, or yellow wires

kenney
07-01-2011, 07:34 PM
The yellow wires are the A bus connection between the door control units
The black wires are the B bus connection between the door control units

martin1810
07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry I didn't look properly. Your car is too early for my web details. Given that the yellow and black wires are the bus communication wires. The yellow wires should all connect to each other and terminate at pin 9 on the 23 pin connector at the ccm. The black wires connect to each other and terminate at pin 6 of the 23 pin connector on the ccm. Are all the wires connected. Fuel cap release is not related to yellow or black wires. Look at pin 12 on 23 pin connector, grey/blue wire.

KieranM
07-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah they all seem to be connected but the connection on the yellow wires is pretty corroded as in the picture. Okay, so another though of mine was that a fuse may be an issue, so the next question I have is, are there any fuses that would cause this issue? The Haynes manual fuse diagram is different and I don't have the original manual. So I don't know which ones do what! Also it was raining today so I thought I'd leave it as the last thing I need is more water in my car!

So when checking this with a multimeter what setting should i have on the multimeter? I used the 200m setting today just to see if there was anything, results were fairly random!

martin1810
07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Each door has two power wires going into it from the a or b post. You can find connectors and test for 12v at them. That will tell you if all doors are getting power. You can't use a multimeter on bus wires because the wires carry signals that only an oscilloscope will read. The best thing to do is get a vcds read. This will tell you what the ccm and door modules think is happening. A cheap cable and vcds lite with a laptop will tell you.

kenney
07-01-2011, 09:23 PM
First check fuses 38 and 14

KieranM
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Cool, I'll go for looking at those asap, I can't find a cable for my car so far, but I'll keep looking.

So I found this one

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html

Will it work? My port has 16 pins, so it looks as if it should, and it says b5 passat in the description.

Still raining, so won't check the fuses tonight, and I'll be at work until monday afternoon from tomorrow morning.

kenney
07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I think your problem is a lack of power to the components,either a blown fuse or corroded wiring,check also the red on blue and red on white wiring in the floor wiring harness these connectors are power supply for the door units and the tank filler flap

yaman
07-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I think your problem is a lack of power to the components,either a blown fuse or corroded wiring,check also the red on blue and red on white wiring in the floor wiring harness these connectors are power supply for the door units and the tank filler flap

Quite right, a fuse on the bottom-right of the relay board, and dont forget
the loom that runs from the ccm, to the rear n/s floor.

Regards
Jim

martin1810
08-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Cool, I'll go for looking at those asap, I can't find a cable for my car so far, but I'll keep looking.

So I found this one

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html

Will it work? My port has 16 pins, so it looks as if it should, and it says b5 passat in the description.

Still raining, so won't check the fuses tonight, and I'll be at work until monday afternoon from tomorrow morning.

That will work on your car and should save you a fortune in the long run.

KieranM
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey so I got my cable, I got my VCDS lite. I got it all working no worries, and I ran an auto scan, all i got was a message about my engine immoboliser, and to register VCDS.

Checked all the fuses, none blown at all.

I ran a scan on the convenience system and got quite a lot.....

00849 - S-contact at Ignition/Starter Switch (D) 25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent

01329 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

01334 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

49-00 - Please Register/Activate

01333 - Door Control Module; Rear Left (J388)

49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

01332 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

49-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

01331 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

49-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00930 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Rear Left (F222)

54-10 - Incorrectly Equipped - Intermittent

00929 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

54-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00928 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

54-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)

53-10 - Supply Voltage Too Low - Intermittent

00928 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

27-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00943 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

35-00 - Please Register/Activate

00912 - Window Regulator Switch; Front Left (E40)

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

00913 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

00914 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

01332 - Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387)

53-10 - Supply Voltage Too Low - Intermittent

00933 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

62-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00929 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

00944 - Heated Exterior Mirror; Passenger Side (Z5)

35-00 - -

01333 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

53-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00930 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

27-00 - Please Register/Activate

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there are some relevant issues there, no idea about the starter, it seems to start okay as long as there's power. So I guess there is some resistance somewhere or some problem, as there seems to be lots of issues with the voltage being too low.

What to do now?!

On a brighter note, I replaced my wing mirror that someone had smashed when I was at work, got the exact colour on ebay for £30, winner. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

kenney
11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
The low voltage can come from a corroded contact in the harness,strip the floor wiring harness on the front passenger side just by the A pillar

KieranM
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for that. Having never done that before, where does the loom end? Do I need to do take anything else apart to get to it? I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks again

kenney
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
just lift the carpet and remove the beading from the harness, about 30cm of it along the door sil you do not have to take anything else apart

KieranM
16-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Hey thanks for all the replies, today I found lots of red and white wires that shouold have been connected that weren't, these turned out to be the problems with the windows, I also found lots of red and blue wires which turned out to be the central locking. Having resoldered them, windows and locks work.

However, the boot doesn't open! Damn it having an estate where the boot doesn't open.

I know that the boot leak water into it, so this may be an issue.

I think it's more likely to be issues with the CCM wiring as I found some red and brown wires that weren't attached, I'll see if attaching them will fix it tomorrow, if the rain holds off.

Thanks again for all the help!

KieranM
16-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I also found this page to be very handy in deciphering the codes

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes