PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Query - Manual Gears

simfin
07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Friend of mine is having Cruise Control problems with his (non-Audi ) car, which got us talking. I thought that Cruise should disable the second you touch the Clutch(or brake), but didnt think mine did on the Clutch.

So, I have just been out and tried a few things.

Set it to 50 MPH in 4 th gear.....

* press clutch and engage 5th, cruise stays on which I guess is quite useful as you dont have to go through the resume procedure.

* From 5th, press clutch and change down. Cruise stays engaged, this I think is not so clever as I am theoretically now changing down to slow down.

* Touch brake and it disables.

So, I am thinking... Have Audi been clever in allowing you to change up and the Cruise to stay engaged (altho i disagree with the changing down aspect), OR is my car faulty.

EVERY other car I have had with Cruise would disable it when Pressing the Clutch.

How do others behave? Not sure I woudld get it looked at anyway as I like the fact on a motorway I can change up to 6th etc and the cruise will stay on.

neil s
07-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I've a manual A6 (2007) so it may be different, but the cruise control disengages as soon as you hit either the clutch or brake. Same as in the Golf Mk V I had prior to the A6, and the BMW 320ci I had before that.

Neil.

certacito
07-01-2011, 04:33 PM
On my MY2011 B8 A4 it stays engaged whilst changing gears.

First car I've driven like this and it took me by surprise the first time I used it.

MFGF
07-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I've a manual A6 (2007) so it may be different, but the cruise control disengages as soon as you hit either the clutch or brake. Same as in the Golf Mk V I had prior to the A6, and the BMW 320ci I had before that.

Neil.

On my 2005 A6 (4f) the cruise would disengage when pressing either the clutch pedal or the brake pedal, but in my 2009 (facelift) A6 (4f) the cruise remains engaged when pressing the clutch pedal and disengages when pressing the brake pedal. I think this feature is a recent enhancement.

MF.

Jason.S
07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Does it not disengage after a period of time in top when the clutch is engaged?

Must admit, i would rather it worked with both.

simfin
07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies and clarification. I also think it is a good feature, just a bit surprised that it stays engaged changing down though.

paultheo
07-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I believe it will disengage after holding the clutch in for a few seconds but does allow you to chage gear and not need to resume. I think this is great I was quite surprised as well.

avant_adam
07-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Same car as you and same result - cruise stays active when changing gear. Unusual at first but handy.

Adam

ScottyUK
07-01-2011, 11:36 PM
It surprised me too.

TT - would cancel with clutch
B6 S4 - would cancel with clutch
B8 A4 - oooooohhh **** it's still going !

:D

baylissboy
08-01-2011, 01:26 AM
On my 2005 A6 (4f) the cruise would disengage when pressing either the clutch pedal or the brake pedal, but in my 2009 (facelift) A6 (4f) the cruise remains engaged when pressing the clutch pedal and disengages when pressing the brake pedal. I think this feature is a recent enhancement.

MF.That's correct, it now stays on when you pres the clutch.

Zenerdiode
08-01-2011, 02:05 AM
The clutch pedal has a position sensor - rather than a switch, so now the car knows how far the clutch is depressed. Used for Hill Hold/Electric handbrake release and cruise control.

Clutch down will hold Cruise Control (for changing gear) but clutch up in neutral will release Cruise Control - the engine senses that no torque is being demanded.

rd1
08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
You could also argue that its preventing excessive wear on the gearbox as modern teaching is to not use the gears to slow down but only the brakes.

I took the IAM test a couple of years ago and found it very difficult to get out of my old habit of occasionally slowing by changing gear. Now trying to observe the IAM driving style, I like the cruise/clutch set up on the B8.

ScottyUK
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I can't see IAM every being compatible with Cruise Control ;)

Cavokk
09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Actually there is more to the behaviour of the cruisecontrol on th b8 a4.

Try to set it at ex 60 mph an then later on when you have stoped for the red light - prees resume when you are at slow speed, - then the cc will happily accelerate you up in the gears and you only have to stear and press cluch for changing the gears:D

Cheers

C

Jason.S
09-01-2011, 10:53 PM
But surely the revs rise as you put your foot on the clutch to change gear if its holding the throttle position??

ScottyUK
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Nope - remember the throttle's fly by wire of the computer takes care of it.

Zafi
10-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Its also the first car I have driven where the cruise control applies the brakes to keep the speed constant when going down a hill.

I thought it had amazing engine braking until I saw the brake light reflected in the rear window :D

Jason.S
10-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Its also the first car I have driven where the cruise control applies the brakes to keep the speed constant when going down a hill.

I thought it had amazing engine braking until I saw the brake light reflected in the rear window :D

Doesnt all cruise work that way though?

johnloaderuk
10-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Doesnt all cruise work that way though?

Not at all. I had a 2008 A6 which braked with cruise on to stop speed increasing when going downhill etc, now have a 2010 Passat which doesn't, so it will pick up speed if the hill is steep and/or long enough.

ScottyUK
10-01-2011, 11:06 AM
The braking caught me out the first time it happened. A bit of surprise when the previous two Audi's relied on engine braking.

Zafi -you can see the brake light reflected in your rear window? Is that bleed from the high level brake light? That should be sealed around the edge. :confused:

Zafi
11-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Zafi -you can see the brake light reflected in your rear window? Is that bleed from the high level brake light? That should be sealed around the edge. :confused:

Hmmmnnnnn........ good point. Under normal (manual braking) driving I never see it, I can't remember how I came to see it in the mirror. It might have been as the wiper went past. I will have a play tomorrow :)

PHPsauce
16-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Actually there is more to the behaviour of the cruisecontrol on th b8 a4.

Try to set it at ex 60 mph an then later on when you have stoped for the red light - prees resume when you are at slow speed, - then the cc will happily accelerate you up in the gears and you only have to stear and press cluch for changing the gears:D

Cheers

C
I love this feature. I set the cruise and can drive my 75 mile journey to work with cruise on all the time. I use the button to slow down or speed up and change gear when the car tells me.