PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad - how to respray your car?

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 02:33 PM
as you may or may not know, my car got keyed not too long after xmas :(

i am planning on giving the golf a respray in around 12/18 months, but in the meantime, i want to try and fix the key mark down my left side, found this on *********, now i dont usually take advice from them, but it seems to be pretty much spot on? what do you guys think?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=171905&categoryId=31276

BROWN_OWL
26-06-2007, 02:38 PM
it is ok for a scratch on a bumper. but the paint will look newer than the rest of the car. how deep are the sratches?? if only a surface scratch then gets some G5 polish and a little bit of elbow grease will be much more effective and cheaper. avoid t-cut as it is silicon based and paint does not like silicon.

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 02:40 PM
it is ok for a scratch on a bumper. but the paint will look newer than the rest of the car. how deep are the sratches?? if only a surface scratch then gets some G5 polish and a little bit of elbow grease will be much more effective and cheaper. avoid t-cut as it is silicon based and paint does not like silicon.

its more than a surface scratch :( it's taken it down to the bare metal in some places (a temporary primer paint was used to protect the metal in these places) id say at its deepest, the scratch is around 2/3mm deep.

BROWN_OWL
26-06-2007, 02:43 PM
nasty!!!! the ppl who did need to be hunted down!!!!!!!! for the "lighter scrathces i suggest the polish technique.thus meaning less to repaint. but the deeper ones get a touch up pen and paint a layer at a time. two layers a day if not very warm outside. but polish each layer to achieve a decent look

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 02:50 PM
nasty!!!! the ppl who did need to be hunted down!!!!!!!! for the "lighter scrathces i suggest the polish technique.thus meaning less to repaint. but the deeper ones get a touch up pen and paint a layer at a time. two layers a day if not very warm outside. but polish each layer to achieve a decent look

:(been there, felt that, had to let it go, skriked like a girl who'd cut her knee when it had just been done, but lifes full of these little challenges :(

i've tried the pen touch up, but the problem is that whilst deep and clearly noticeable, the scratch isnt that 'wide' so, i've managed to fill it as best as i can with the pen, but its overlapped the 'old' paint if you get me? i've just stopped for now until i can figure out a way to rectify it.

is there any way to 'blend' the slight overlap of the 'pen' paint? and to then carry on builiding it up?:o

BROWN_OWL
26-06-2007, 02:53 PM
2000 wet and dry. and then polish with some compound.

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 02:55 PM
2000 wet and dry. and then polish with some compound.

will 2000 be harsh enough for the VAG paint as ive heard it's a really tough paint? also, what sort of compound? any brand name/product in particular to help me out :o

BROWN_OWL
26-06-2007, 02:58 PM
you dont want it to be too harsh. 2000 is good enough with a little bit of effort but watch how much effort u r using! (seen it done) any compound will do, they are all the same. UPOL is a good make but again any will be fine. compound is really just a polish

Col
26-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Here is a little guide I did on the UKMKIV's forum (I'm ct.p on there by the way)...

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/639709.aspx

Although not specific to your problem, the basic principals are explained a there are some piccies of the compounds I use. Farecla G10 is probably best for what you need to do.

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Here is a little guide I did on the UKMKIV's forum (I'm ct.p on there by the way)...

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/639709.aspx

Although not specific to your problem, the basic principals are explained a there are some piccies of the compounds I use. Farecla G10 is probably best for what you need to do.

thank you ;) i will havea look later when i get in from work