PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Golf so bloody cold ??

dcdick
06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
The last few weeks have been pretty cold in the North East (as well as other parts of the country)
During this time the Golf takes a long, long time to get hot air into the cabin. When it finally arrives the temp is fine (apart from the very strange cold air when the steering wheel is turned, as discussed previously)

Mine takes about 6-7 miles (depending on outside temp) to get any decent amount of hot air in to the cabin, much more time than my previous mk 4 (1.6 petrol match)
Leaving it "ticking over" for a while only helps to clear the windows & doesn't seem to speed the "warm up" time
Demisting is also slow (although not as bad as others have reported)

How do the diesel versions get on with this ?

Going to the dealer for anything other than warranty repairs is not a preferred option thanks:(

The engine/transmission is a big old lump with "only" a 1400cc engine to work everything, is it possibly because "heat" is diverted to things like the cat etc... first somehow before being passed through the heater radiator ?

There really is to many faults that should have been designed out of this car that even a great engine/box & a load of "toys" can't hide, which together with the high price & supply issues must be damaging the "brand"

My next car is unlikely to be a Golf ( unless the mk 7 is a very different/better car)

Cheers

ps................................. feel better now after a bit of a rant :approve:

percymon
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
When i was doing early morning starts last winter i measured how long it took the temperature gauge to reach 90'C of my TDI - answer 7 miles of national speed limit A road, or about 8 minutes. It takes about 5 minutes before any heat comes through at all with sub zero starts, which doesn't help demisting much ! I refuse to use deicer on the outside glass any longer as this seems to increase condensation on the inside, whcih is the last thing you need. I'd expect the petrol to be a little quicker than a diesel.

I have a 1.2 petrol Polo courtesy car at present - this morning it was very heavily misted up inside. It took ages to fully demist - i'd travelled about 10 miles with the air con on full to eventually clear the rear side windows.

The weather in the last 10 days has been very varied - we've had two sever temperature inversions in S.Wales that i know of, which does nothing for cars left outside and subsequent demisting.

Good news - we're due 5" of snow tonight !

Steve_D
06-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I can honestly say that my Golf is the fastest car I've had for getting warm air into the cabin - I'd say the heater is warm enough to be noticeable within a couple of miles/5 mins.

HHGTTG
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
If you car is parked outside then it is a large heat sink and the whole fabric of the car can be very cold. My car takes about 4 miles of driving to reach 90°C and by this time the temp. out the vents in very warm and then becomes hot, subsequently.
Don't some diesels have and auxiliary heater to aid warming up the interior?

marseillais
06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
My 1.6 TDI (105) takes about 5-6 mins of driving from cold before the heat starts entering the cabin in the recent cold weather. Was roughly the same for a 1.6 petrol version I've also driven, though not in the recent sub zero temps.

Keithuk
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
How do the diesel versions get on with this ?

Yes **** diesel engines do take longer to get to normal operating temperature because they are more thermal efficient, more heat does work than being absorbed into the cooling system.

Don't some diesels have and auxiliary heater to aid warming up the interior?
Well I've said this before if you do a search for auxilary heater. If I start driving on a freezing morning I can switch the blower on 100m up the road and it blows aired air, another 100m and warm air. When I get to work 4.5 miles away the temp gauge is only half way up. Now I thought it must be this auxilary heater working but I believe those are only fitted to the Jetta and Touran.

I'm happy with my heater. ;)

DW58
07-01-2011, 12:44 AM
My Golf heats up fine - in fact by the time I get to town 4 miles away it can be too warm, however the de-misting is a different issue altogether, it's crap! My Mother's Mk5 is a different proposition altogether, quick de-misting and average heater.

WeegieBob
07-01-2011, 07:57 AM
You could perhaps try the old trick of placing a partial cover across the grill (clingfilm or something like that) to see if the engine warms up quicker in this weather.

WeegieBob. ;)

Gerryf
07-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm very impressed with how quickly my petrol car heats up in comparison to my previous diesel.

In reality I never get above 30 mph so I race my engine by selecting low gears (3000rpm) and my car is usually up to regular temp after 1 mile....
Yeah....I know it's bad practise but I don't give a stuff about engine wear so long as I'm warm.....I also waste a lot of fuel and have seen my car return less than 20mpg on occasion.

The Green mob might take exception but who cares.....lol.....if they use less than 2 gallons per week I'll accept their moaning.

HHGTTG
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm very impressed with how quickly my petrol car heats up in comparison to my previous diesel.

In reality I never get above 30 mph so I race my engine by selecting low gears (3000rpm) and my car is usually up to regular temp after 1 mile....
Yeah....I know it's bad practise but I don't give a stuff about engine wear so long as I'm warm.....I also waste a lot of fuel and have seen my car return less than 20mpg on occasion.

The Green mob might take exception but who cares.....lol.....if they use less than 2 gallons per week I'll accept their moaning.
3000rpm!! Except for reaching that during mild acceleration I rarely get to those revs in 5th or 6th gear (at least, I don't think I do).
I would never 'scream' my engine like that, in low gears, in order to get my heater working more quickly.

percymon
07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Whilst medium revs on a cold engine isn't exactly good practice, neither is leaving the car idling on the drive to warm up/defrost.

Thomas Backa
07-01-2011, 01:28 PM
You could perhaps try the old trick of placing a partial cover across the grill (clingfilm or something like that) to see if the engine warms up quicker in this weather.

WeegieBob. ;)

That is actually recommended by VW here in Finland and I got the parts from them for free a few weeks ago. Two pieces of shaped soft plastic for the upper and lower grill and some plastic clips to fasten them.

I only have the lower grill covered atm.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5332416029_3e69fa4195.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/backa/5332416029/)

Keithuk
07-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Yes grille covers are ok locally but if you forget about them then it will overheat so you have to stop remove the covers if thats easy then carry on. Then you have to remember to refit them when you back on local journeys again. ;)

Thomas Backa
07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Yes grille covers are ok locally but if you forget about them then it will overheat so you have to stop remove the covers if thats easy then carry on. Then you have to remember to refit them when you back on local journeys again. ;)

Yesterday I drove 500 km with it on, speed was about 88 km/h (mean speed for the entire trip 80 km/h), outside temperature -4C to -7C. The temperature gauge stayed constantly at 90C.

The engine won't overheat when it's cold outside and it takes just a few seconds to remove anyway if the engine starts complaining.

WeegieBob
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Have you had this problem - or is it one you think will happen?

WeegieBob. ;)

WeegieBob
07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5332416029_3e69fa4195.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/backa/5332416029/)

Good job you chose a dark colour Thomas - I'd imagine a white Golf would be a challenge to find after it snowed where you live! :D

WeegieBob. ;)

Keithuk
08-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Have you had this problem - or is it one you think will happen?
No I haven't had a problem with a grille cover I'm just thinking of the implications if I fit one. I've thought about fitting one but from what I've read its not needed or no great advantage. Alright Thomas may not have a problem but it could happen.

DW58
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Good job you chose a dark colour Thomas - I'd imagine a white Golf would be a challenge to find after it snowed where you live! :D

WeegieBob. ;)

I lost mine for a couple of weeks ... ... ... wondered why we had a small snow-covered hill in the back yard ;)

:1zhelp:

Frelon
08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I fitted an engine pre-heater on my old Ford Anglia years ago, and it worked a treat. Plugged it into the mains overnight and the water was kept nice and warm for instant start and heat in the cold mornings.

Did some research online and lo and behold the company is still in business!

Have a look here (http://www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/index.html).

Not too sure I need one now (retired) but if I had to get up early on a cold and frosty morning every day I would certainly think of fitting one to my Golf.

My little touch of luxury now is heated seats. Would not be without them.

WeegieBob
08-01-2011, 01:29 PM
My little touch of luxury now is heated seats. Would not be without them.

Its nice when you retire and these little luxuries make a whole world of difference - this is my first car with them and after about a mile with them on I'm a happy soldier.

What a difference compared to my very first car, a basic 850 cc Mini where even an interior door handle was an extra. Mind you I was young and hardy then, not the old softy I am now! LOL!

Enjoy your retirement. ;)

WeegieBob.

percymon
10-01-2011, 10:42 AM
No I haven't had a problem with a grille cover I'm just thinking of the implications if I fit one. I've thought about fitting one but from what I've read its not needed or no great advantage. Alright Thomas may not have a problem but it could happen.

The problme in the UK is the fluctuating temperature - today it was 6'C driving to the office, by Friday its supposed to be 12'C. Last week it was -5'C, and weeks before -18'C.