PDA

View Full Version : ABS problems Help/Advice

Dav1d01
26-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi guys,

I posted a while back with my ABS pump problems, abs and traction control kick in and car can't be driven over 10mph - water got into it?
Basically VW want £1042.70+VAT for a new one but I can get my one reconditioned for £100+VAT.
The problem, however, is that I need to post it off. Does anyone one have an electronic copy of a Haynes manual or a step by step guide?
I have also been told I can drive around with no problems once I have removed the part but I won't have ABS - no worries.
When it comes to re-fitting this unit, surely there is more to it then plug and play??
Can anyone recommend a fitter in the Luton and surrounding area?
Am willing to travel for good work.

Many thanks

David

Col
26-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Have not read your other post but.... (or have I ? .... oh I can't remember), anyway, but......

Most ABS problems are wheel sensor related.

What leads you to think the pump needs replacing ?

Have you had it read for faults, do you have the fault codes ?

Simply pulling the fuse for the ABS or pulling out it's multiplug will disable it by the way.

You may only need a £50 wheel sensor and not a pump.

Dav1d01
26-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Cheers BigCol,

I've had the car diagnosed at VW, they said the part no: 1J0698517A needs replacing.
I've also been doing some research and it is a case of removing the ECU next to the ABS pump, I'll then get this reconditioned.
Thanks for confirming the fact that the brakes etc will work, I also researched this and they will but I won't have any ABS or traction, but that's no problem.

I'll keep you all informed, might be worth sticking this in some sort of library cos if you go to a dealer or mechanic they will want £1042.70+VAT for the part and labour.

David

Col
26-06-2007, 05:34 PM
What were the symptoms, how did it fail ?

colmcouni
05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
i have a similar problem with my mk4 r32. just on right hand bends it seems to loose traction like it is on ice.

the first time it ever happened was driving in very wet conditions... i wonder if water got into my abs pump too,

however it onls seems to affect my front left wheel....

worried now..