PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: how to replace rear wiper?

psynnott
06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
This is a real newbie question, but as I don't want to break the whole rear wiper arm, I'll ask for the right way to do it!

I want to replace the rear wiper blade. How do I unclip the support and blade? The front wipers are really easy as you just push in a clip, but the A3 rear wiper doesn't appear to have a clip and I can't just slide it off.

Any tips would be appreciated!

NickPicks
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
My A3 has a U bend in it just like the front ones. The bend clicks around a lump on the frame clip, and to remove it, you just push it towards the hinge in the arm.

My A6 has a plastic arm, which has a clip which clicks around the pin on the wiper frame. To get it out, you just pull it straight out.

psynnott
06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
My A3 has a U bend in it just like the front ones. The bend clicks around a lump on the frame clip, and to remove it, you just push it towards the hinge in the arm.

My A6 has a plastic arm, which has a clip which clicks around the pin on the wiper frame. To get it out, you just pull it straight out.

Perfect, thanks. Pushing it towards the hinge worked, dunno what I was doing before!

NickPicks
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Perfect, thanks. Pushing it towards the hinge worked, dunno what I was doing before!

You were worrying too much about breaking it. It's always worrying about how much force to apply (you wait until you need to remove the interior mirror!)

jhoran
05-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Is there anyway of fixing the arm if the clips break while removing the old wiper blade?:1zhelp:

psynnott
05-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I can't remember exactly, but arent the clips part of the blade? Since it was your old blade, you don't need it right?

jhoran
05-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I can't remember exactly, but arent the clips part of the blade? Since it was your old blade, you don't need it right?
On the 2008 A6 Avant the blade clicks in to a fitting that's in the rear arm. Two really cheap clips on the fitting hold the wipper blade in place.
Taking the old blade out caused one of these to become broken.

NickPicks
07-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Is there anyway of fixing the arm if the clips break while removing the old wiper blade?:1zhelp:

At the swivel of the arm, there's a cover which hinges up. Under this, there's a nut which holds the arm on. after 10 years of corrosion, it takes a bit of pulling to get it off (I put a big spanner under the arm, a small one on the loosened nut, then used a pair of grips to force them together (I didn't have a small enough hub puller)