PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 2004, How To Change Vin In The Instrument Cluster

jvivanov
04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Hello and Happy New Year to all brothers,

I have big problem and I am asking for help.
My car is Audi A4 2004 with RB4-CRYPTO dashboard. I messed up the instrument cluster with Vag K+Can Commander v1.4, after that I found that this version does not support my car because the dump file is crypted. Now the VIN stored in the Instrument cluster is different and all other controllers are always full with error messages. Does enyone know how can I fix it? Or can anyone give me advice? The car is second hand and I don't have any deal with the oficial dealers.

Kind regards,
Jordan Ivanov

p.s. my english is not perfect, I hope you can understand me.

jvivanov
15-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi again,
I fixed the VIN with K+Can Commander v1.4 by reading the dumb and manual correct. Now I still have many error messages, but they are different. The most repeated error message is:

01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

I have attached the error log.
Now I think the only way to fix the problems is to upload working instrumen cluster dumb from other Audi A4 B6 with RB4 crypto D36 dashboard and adapt it to the my car. So, please if somone can send me working dumb I will be very thankfull.
If you know other way to fix my problem, please post it.

antony.w
03-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Hi, I have the same problem with my Cluster losing the VIN. Can you please tell me how you used K+ Commander 1.4 to rewrite the VIN.

jvivanov
04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi, I have the same problem with my Cluster losing the VIN. Can you please tell me how you used K+ Commander 1.4 to rewrite the VIN.

On line 00F0 the last 9 are the first 9 letters and numbers of your VIN, it continues on line 0150, starts again and ends in the beginning of line 0160.
Look at the attached prtscr, some letters and numbers are changed with # and <.
I guess you will rocegnize some letters or numbers from your VIN on these lines.

p.s.
regarding my previous post, I disconected the battery, connected the wires for few seconds. Half hour later I connected the battery again and since then I have no error logs.

antony.w
04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Brilliant, thanks very much for that, I will give it a go tomorrow. Do you have a manual for this software please - non came with my software.

What does disconnecting and re-connecting the battery do. I read in the Audi manual that you should re-connect the battery with the ignition turned on, I don't understand this either.

Thanks again.

Crasher
04-02-2011, 10:16 PM
In the workshop manual on the first opening page it warns

“Ensure that the ignition is switched off before the battery is disconnected, otherwise the engine control device can be damaged"

Presumably this also applies to reconnecting the battery as it also states that during the procedure for replacing the battery to

“Switch off ignition and all electrical equipment; then take out ignition key”

antony.w
04-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Yes, I also saw the statement about ensuring the ignition was off before connecting the battery. I need to check the manual again - in detail. What I thought I read does seem a bit surprising.

jvivanov
05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Brilliant, thanks very much for that, I will give it a go tomorrow. Do you have a manual for this software please - non came with my software.

What does disconnecting and re-connecting the battery do. I read in the Audi manual that you should re-connect the battery with the ignition turned on, I don't understand this either.

Thanks again.

I don't have manual for VAG K+CAN Commander and I guess there is no such manual for this version.
And remember, always save the original dumb before making some changes, thats what I learned.
If you want, send me your dumb to take a look at it, and your VIN also.
I suppose disconnecting and re-connecting the battery resets all controllers, thats how I cleared all DTCs, VAG-COM didn't succeed with that in this case. The ignition was off.

antony.w
10-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for sending be your K+ Commander binary file - I have fixed it!! On your file I noticed that the VIN appeared twice in the binary file. I simply downloaded the file from the cluster using Commander 1.4, edited the locations with the correct VIN and re-programmed the Cluster. Hey presto the VIN appears in the Extra field for the cluster in VCDS and after an hour's drive no airbag light. So thanks very much - I am very pleased. It will be interesting to see whether this EEPROM becomes corrupt again.

My next task is to find the immobiliser PIN so I can re-program another key. Do you or anyone know how to decode this info?

Thanks again.

Crasher
11-02-2011, 02:26 PM
I envy you chaps that know how to manipulate software, it is above my head.

kenney
11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I envy you chaps that know how to manipulate software, it is above my head.Jesus do you not have enough on your plate to manipulate without worrying about EEPROM and that kind of **** :D,and at the end of the day i wonder who envys who the most;)

Crasher
11-02-2011, 04:44 PM
I would love to be able to do it; I have the gear but no idea! My colleague Greg would like to do this as well and as he is a lot younger than me plus far more skilled in bits and bytes I image we will get around to it.

jvivanov
11-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for sending be your K+ Commander binary file - I have fixed it!! On your file I noticed that the VIN appeared twice in the binary file. I simply downloaded the file from the cluster using Commander 1.4, edited the locations with the correct VIN and re-programmed the Cluster. Hey presto the VIN appears in the Extra field for the cluster in VCDS and after an hour's drive no airbag light. So thanks very much - I am very pleased. It will be interesting to see whether this EEPROM becomes corrupt again.

My next task is to find the immobiliser PIN so I can re-program another key. Do you or anyone know how to decode this info?

Thanks again.

I guess you tried to change the odometer value.
About the login I can't help you, but I can recomend you VAG DASH or newer version of VAG K+CAN Commander.

a8 tech
11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
use edc15/16calculator for RB4 or original not cloned commander or vagdash

http://www.vagdashcom.de/download/VAG_Login_Decoder_mit_Ton_0.wmv

kenney
11-02-2011, 09:16 PM
use edc16calculator for RB4 or original not coloned commander or magic dash canOops somebody is one up on us EEPROM idiots:D

a8 tech
11-02-2011, 09:20 PM
lol

try this link http://www.vagdashcom.de/

kenney
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
:cool: there is still a chance for the veterans

jvivanov
11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
use edc15/16calculator for RB4 or original not cloned commander or magic dash can

Please, can you attach some of your suggestions.

a8 tech
11-02-2011, 09:57 PM
download the calculator then load your dash file to calculate the login, if that makes sense

http://rapidshare.com/files/447429759/EDC15calc.exe

antony.w
22-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I have seen another reference to connecting the battery with the ignition on. Can't remember where I read it but the reason given was to avoid injury due to inadvertent ignition of the airbag. The thinking behind this is that if something failed in the airbag or controller prior to the battery being re-connected that could cause the bag to ignite as soon as the controller is powered on, if you are under the bonnet reconnecting the battery lead you won't be injured.

If I find the reference to this I shall post it.

antony.w
22-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry - My previous post is in the wrong thread.

Anyway I ran the EDC15/16 calculator and loaded one of my cluster binary files and got the following:-

Mileage - 14261945.67
Immo - UZ6Z0C0157830p
Login - 29287 (but greyed out)
FIN - ‘

Does this look normal and should this tell me the 7 digit PIN I need to program another immobiliser. I feel I am missing something obvious here!

jvivanov
23-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Sorry - My previous post is in the wrong thread.

Anyway I ran the EDC15/16 calculator and loaded one of my cluster binary files and got the following:-

Mileage - 14261945.67
Immo - UZ6Z0C0157830p
Login - 29287 (but greyed out)
FIN - ‘

Does this look normal and should this tell me the 7 digit PIN I need to program another immobiliser. I feel I am missing something obvious here!

These two calculators can't help you for RB4 crypto.
I'm also still searching for solution.
Post it please if you find any.

Mu81n
06-10-2012, 02:11 AM
Good Evening All,

Did you find a solution to your problem? My instrument cluster is working (got another used cluster, as the old cluster had failed), but the only problem is its behaving in KMH/KPH, not Mph for the UK. The rev counter is also behaving as if it's 1.8 T, even though the car is a 1.9 diesel :( I am certain the information in EEPROM Data is corrupt or requires changing to the correct coding so it will work as it should, the dial plates etc are all for a diesel.

Crasher
06-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I fitted a new genuine exchange cluster into an A3 last week and it lasted 3 hours and started ignoring the key :banghead: . Went to order another and there was no more UK stock! :aargh4:

Ricsi168
20-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Hello guys!

Sorry to wake up an old thread,but i have got maybe a similar issue with speedometer.
I would like to download my ecu data with a galletto 1260 tool,but i have to remove fuse 15 witch is for speedometer then i s (https://hu.bab.la/sz%C3%B3t%C3%A1r/angol-magyar/successfully#translationsdetails1)uccessfully copyed.after that i putted back fuse 15 i got lots of errors in vcds.
I figured out all of these errors are from the speedometer "forgott" my VIN number.....When i connect vcds 17 instruments in the extra field i just got my last 4or5 digits of my VIN number and this is the problem!
Anyone got any idea how can i solve this problem? how can i add my VIN number again?
MY car is a 2003 Audi a4 b6 1.9pdtdi quattro with colod dis!
Thanks!

Crasher
21-04-2019, 01:15 PM
I only know how to do this with ODIS, in the example from 2012 it turned out to be because I ordered the wrong panel because ETKA got the chassis change point wrong :aargh4:

Ricsi168
21-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Hello !

Thanks but unfortunatelly i dont have acess to odis vag k+can commander on the way, with this anyone can help me out?

Crasher
21-04-2019, 06:50 PM
I have tried these tinterweb versions of CAN Commander and they are next to useless, just reporting comms errors and I found out why, they are dodgy stolen versions of the original which costs a lot of money and even then is tricky to use. Before I got ODIS I had a chap in a van come around to do these jobs and he had the proper registered version which cost serious money and even then he would fight for hours to get things working such as removing the VIN based component protection problems caused by used parts - all part of a ******** EU mandate that was supposed to protect us!