PDA

View Full Version : A3 3.2 Quattro ‘juddering’ when pulling away

Space Cadet
26-06-2007, 10:55 AM
(Have posted identical thread in the maintenance section but no one has answered)

Just picked up a 2005 (2006 model) 10k mile A3 3.2 Quattro S-line, am happy as Larry with it, apart from one potential problem.

Thought I would post a thread before going back to the garage –

When pulling away from standstill, when matching the clutch and throttle there is a slight judder (cant think of a better word for it, kinda grind kinda transmition feel), only slight and to my un-Quattro-trained spider-sense I wondered if it’s the Quattro system juggling the torque.

Also it’s got quite a sizeable engine and I suspect the clutch must be fairly heavy duty, my last big engined car a 350Z kinda had a similar feeling but not as pronounced but then was only 2 (rear) wheeled drive

Any ideas – are they all like that?

I don’t think for one minute the car has been thrashed, it’s in immaculate condition and think it has been cherished (obviously I could be wrong) and 10k miles isn’t a lot for a clutch is it.

Thanks in advance SC.

davelympany
26-06-2007, 08:42 PM
hi

sounds like clutch judder, does it have a towbar, (had a towabar and taken off) ever been used for towing? If so towing anything too heavy can really knacker a clutch

dave

Space Cadet
27-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Dave

No it doesn’t have a tow-bar; I’ll have a look tonight to see if it’s had one although I’m guessing no.

It doesn’t feel like the clutch slipping more of a transmition feel and like mentioned it’s only really slight.

Do you have a ‘Quattro’ ? Could do with somebody how has one confirming either way if may be it’s just a trait.

Thanks again.

Mark

davelympany
27-06-2007, 06:06 PM
could be a 4 wheel drive problem..... havnt got a quatro but we had a new freelander and that juddered quiet bad after around 24k.......IMO they shouldnt judder at all really thats why we got rid of the f`lander that and appaling customer service!

dave

Space Cadet
28-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Well I’ve booked the car in at Audi for first thing Saturday morning to go out with a technician. I took it out last night for a spin just to reaffirm what I was trying to describe and either it had 90% gone away or I’m just going a bit mad and way-over reacting.

Will obviously keep a look out for it over the next few days.

adamss24
28-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Well I’ve booked the car in at Audi for first thing Saturday morning to go out with a technician. I took it out last night for a spin just to reaffirm what I was trying to describe and either it had 90% gone away or I’m just going a bit mad and way-over reacting.

Will obviously keep a look out for it over the next few days.
Does it makes the noise only when you pull away hard from a stand still ? If yes, then its the Haldex clutch(4 wheel drive only) that shifts the power to the rear wheels when there is lack of traction...These cars should not be named quattro, as they are, most of the time, front wheel drive ! Only when the traction control senses wheel spinning, the power is shifted to the rear wheels as well ! Hope this helps.

Space Cadet
28-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks

Assumed if it wasn’t actually a problem with something that it must likely be the Haldex clutch doing its thing. Will take a few more drives in the car before deciding whether I still think there is a problem and if so will take it to the garage for piece of mind.

Space Cadet
02-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, either I was going mad, or the problem has gone away. Think more probably it is just the Haldex thing doing its bit as it only makes a noise when booting it, it doesn’t murmur at all with smooth getaways and I’ve just got used to the car's normal characteristics.