PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Footprint

bora23
26-06-2007, 09:42 AM
All the talk about MPG recently has made me look at my fuel economy on my bora v5, 300 miles to the tank!

shocking... bob geldof would have me locked up.

Sam
26-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Nice car though ;)

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 10:22 AM
if you feel guilty, ask a Range rover sport driver what he gets to the gallon ;)

Sam
26-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Better still, ask a bus driver - 3 to 4mpg if I remember correctly.

"They" want "us" to be green yet make "us" travel in 20+ year old buses that spew out clouds of ungreen-ness wherever they travel.

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 10:43 AM

"They" want "us" to be green yet make "us" travel in 20+ year old buses that spew out clouds of ungreen-ness wherever they travel.

LOL true, i sometimes wonder how some of our buses are on our roads:(

bora23
26-06-2007, 11:21 AM

somehow i no longer feel so bad...

ghee60
26-06-2007, 11:41 AM
personally think this climent change lark is all non-sense, just a way to be able to tax us more and sell more carbon credits to industry.
After all the ancient mayan civilization died out due to climent change, was probably due to them all driving V8 range rovers around

MalcQV
26-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I do believe there is "climate change", I am not convinced we can do that much about it.....
Is it cause or effect? I have seen arguments for both but cannot decide who is right :o

The Muts Nuts
26-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Climate change is happening, but its been happening since the dawn of time and it will continue long after we go.
I also agree about buses, do they all use red diesel or something? Make them run on bio-diesel and our streets will smell like chips!

V5_170Mk4driver
26-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm pleased its not just me that is still in the realms of 30mpg. You have to drive really gently to get that don't you!!
The best I've seen on my V5 golf is about 36mpg on a long motorway run. Oh for the new 170bhp Tdi!
It makes a fab noise though.

Veedubber
27-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Wasn't the Earth covered in ice at one time? Extending this idea would mean that it's not necessarily our fault that it's all going pants now...

bora23 - 300 miles to the tank but how big is your tank? If it's a 5 litre tank, you're doing okay :Blush:

I typically get 36mpg. I've seen it up to around 40mpg and down to 27mpg though I never really sit in standing traffic. It grates me that my road tax is so high, higher than the spluttering 4x4 I can't get rid of and higher than the truck tax, too.

We could all go out of our way to buy some super economical low emission car and then they'll send another rocket in to space. All good work undone.

Or could it not be related to all that atomic bomb testing? That can't have done the environment much good. No point taxing me over £200 a year for the piffling little difference I make.

frankieboy
27-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Bloody eco-fascists! Carbon footprint my bottom. I get really annoyed by this government concentrating their efforts on penalising motorists rather than on important things like the criminal justice system which really affect our day to day lives... :zx11:

I'll get off the soap box now :D

MalcQV
27-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Wasn't the Earth covered in ice at one time? Extending this idea would mean that it's not necessarily our fault that it's all going pants now...

In the 70's they were predicting an Ice age (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling).

bora23
28-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm pleased its not just me that is still in the realms of 30mpg. You have to drive really gently to get that don't you!!
The best I've seen on my V5 golf is about 36mpg on a long motorway run. Oh for the new 170bhp Tdi!
It makes a fab noise though.

V5_170Mk5driver, if i drive really sensible i can reach 34.5mpg.... however dont know about you but i didn't buy it for its economy! and the engine sounds like a beast when you let rip. Leaves the saxo's and the fiestas at the light wandering what the hell is under the bonnet!.

How do you find your V5 ? only had mine a few months and i loves it.

Eshrules
29-06-2007, 10:33 AM
its the world of tomorrow realised, tell you :D

V5_170Mk4driver
29-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Bora23. No, I didn't buy it for economy either. I'm no boy racer (30 yrs) but even I have fitted the K&N K57i induction kit. I did this to hopefully get better noise/performance/fuel economy. To be honest the only improvement has been the noise. What a lovely rumble at 2500-3500.
As far as how I like the car, it took me a while to learn to drive it really smoothly as the drive by wire throttle is rather sensitive. For some reason my 2003 car is on its 3rd clutch. I got the 3rd one fitted as part of the sale when I bought the car 18 months ago. I hope the other 2 were just due to poor driving.