PDA

View Full Version : Black Smoke

MAC
26-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Just a quick question:

I was following the wife in her '06 2.0 TDI Sport 140, and noticed that at every gearchange / acceleration, there seemed to be a puff of black smoke from the exhaust. The car has only done 18k, and has just had it's first service. Oil consumption has only been about 1/2 litre in this time.

I've run diesels for a number of years now, (Citroen & Mercedes) and know that they tend cough up smoke when accelerating hard, but not usually at every gear change when driving normally. Also the tail pipes seem to be very sooty.

Has anyone else noticed this on their's or other Passats? Before I take a trip back to the dealer.

Also, does anyone have any thoughs on the use of Millers or Forte diesel additives?

Regards

Mark

BenR
26-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Don't worry about it, a puff of black smoke is normal. My '02 Audi A4 did it so badly that it used to leave a huge trail of smoke, which I reckon is why Audi had the tailpipe exiting well below the rear skirt in turbulent airflow, so as to dilute the smoke a bit.

I'm no expert but I believe the reason why the latest generation of 6 speed VAG Tdis are tuned more like a petrol engine is to reduce this embarrassing puff of black smoke on acceleration. It's product development "on the fly".

audi newboy
17-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi i have the same car and noticed the same as you 05 A3 140 bhp 40k.

Im still thinking what to do or is it normal just had second service.

Can anyhelp us or is it really normal for VAG.

Graham

Baron_Samedi
17-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Pretty normal for any diesel engine.

Can be remedied by an Italian tuneup though :D

(Rev to 4k a few times a week), observing applicable laws and weather conditions!

audi newboy
17-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Ok thanks for reply we do a lot of local driving so will blow it out once a week.Its ok when your netural, just when its under

Thanks
Graham:confused: