PDA

View Full Version : Bora buying advice please

deserthawk
25-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Hello folks, I'm thinking of buying a Bora as my Audi A4 1.8 is getting a bit long in the tooth and don't really need such a big car but still prefer a four door saloon.
It would have to be an SE spec as I've got used to the options on the Audi like air con, elec mirrors etc.. but still don't know whether to go for 1.8, 2.0, or 1.9TDi.
Would I get something decent for around £3000 ?
Any opinions or advice from Bora owners would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 08:20 AM
search and ye shall find

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6050

(about a golf, but golf/bora are more or less the same car ;))

and this one about a bora

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5068&highlight=buying+a+bora

:beerchug:

bora23
26-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Hello folks, I'm thinking of buying a Bora as my Audi A4 1.8 is getting a bit long in the tooth and don't really need such a big car but still prefer a four door saloon.
It would have to be an SE spec as I've got used to the options on the Audi like air con, elec mirrors etc.. but still don't know whether to go for 1.8, 2.0, or 1.9TDi.
Would I get something decent for around £3000 ?
Any opinions or advice from Bora owners would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi,
I have the 170 PS (125kw) V5 Model, there were two V5's one being the older 150PS model and the newer being the 170PS, if its speed you want then the 170PS is plenty, however expect worse fuel economy than a Diesel (obviously). My V5 170 Highline averages 35mpg which is not bad for a 2.3 engine. There are so many extras on Bora's that it is sometimes hard to find two Boras the same, look for items such as Climate Control (the VW Climatronic is superb) and in dash 6 cd autochanger, little things like this are nice to have and are out there. They do have a 2.8 V6 4 MOTION but expect worse fuel economy and only a breif increase in power, however you do get 4WD.

Bora 1.6 (FROM £1999)
The Bora 1.6 is sluggish but will cope with 2 passengers, add any more and your in danger of limiting it's performance.

Bora 2.0 (FROM £2300)
The 2.0 petrol is a good car, fuel economy is good and performance is excellent.

Bora 2.3 V5 150
Nice car, very nippy but fuel economy is the same as the 170 Bhp so why not have the extra 20bhp?. Avoid ex hire cars.

Bora 2.3 V5 Highline 170
Im Biased, i have one of these so i will say they are excellent! superb all rounder, great performance reasonable fuel economy and comfortable to drive.

Bora 2.8 V6 4 MOTION
WHAT A BEAST RARRRRR! absolutely crackers to drive, pulls like a train. Can be loud though and servicing aint cheap. expect 25mpg.

Bora Diesels (FROM £2500)
The 1.9 TDI 90 and 110 is getting on a bit now and will leave you disappointed, however the TDI 115,130 and the superb 150 TDI will leave you satisfied, so much torque you could pull an elephant.

Extras
Look for these items when buying,
* CLIMATRONIC CLIMATE CONTROL
* 6 CD AUTOCHANGER
* LEATHER SEATS (RECARO OR VW)
* HEATED SEATS
* CRUISE CONTROL
* VW ALARM
* TRACKER (ESP V5 AND V6 4MOTION)
* FULL VW SERVICE HISTORY

Cam Belts
Can't Stress this enough, make sure it's changed in the Log Book and look for a sticker actually in the engine bay. You can pay upwards of £300 for a cambelt change so make sure that its either been done (and check with the garage too where they say they had it done) or ask them to reduce the asking price by £300 so you get it done.

The V5 models have chains and they do not need cam belt changes.

For about 3k you can get yourself a nice 51 Plate 2.0, it will be average miles and there are a load of nice colours to choose from. Whatever you decide to go for good luck and remember to HPI check any vehicle you think about buying.

Regards
Bora23.
Lincs PC

unitzero
26-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I have an 8k budget, I'm hoping that i can get an 04' with under 40'000 miles for this money?

I'm replacing my 06 Seat ibiza sport (1.4 petrol) as its too small and has a tendancy to be very thirsty as i have to use the high revs to get anywhere "briskly".

Is it 60'000 miles that the cambelt needs to be changed?

v5paul
26-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi,
I have the 170 PS (125kw) V5 Model, there were two V5's one being the older 150PS model and the newer being the 170PS, if its speed you want then the 170PS is plenty, however expect worse fuel economy than a Diesel (obviously). My V5 170 Highline averages 35mpg which is not bad for a 2.3 engine. There are so many extras on Bora's that it is sometimes hard to find two Boras the same, look for items such as Climate Control (the VW Climatronic is superb) and in dash 6 cd autochanger, little things like this are nice to have and are out there. They do have a 2.8 V6 4 MOTION but expect worse fuel economy and only a breif increase in power, however you do get 4WD.

Bora 1.6 (FROM £1999)
The Bora 1.6 is sluggish but will cope with 2 passengers, add any more and your in danger of limiting it's performance.

Bora 2.0 (FROM £2300)
The 2.0 petrol is a good car, fuel economy is good and performance is excellent.

Bora 2.3 V5 150
Nice car, very nippy but fuel economy is the same as the 170 Bhp so why not have the extra 20bhp?. Avoid ex hire cars.

Bora 2.3 V5 Highline 170
Im Biased, i have one of these so i will say they are excellent! superb all rounder, great performance reasonable fuel economy and comfortable to drive.

Bora 2.8 V6 4 MOTION
WHAT A BEAST RARRRRR! absolutely crackers to drive, pulls like a train. Can be loud though and servicing aint cheap. expect 25mpg.

Bora Diesels (FROM £2500)
The 1.9 TDI 90 and 110 is getting on a bit now and will leave you disappointed, however the TDI 115,130 and the superb 150 TDI will leave you satisfied, so much torque you could pull an elephant.

Extras
Look for these items when buying,
* CLIMATRONIC CLIMATE CONTROL
* 6 CD AUTOCHANGER
* LEATHER SEATS (RECARO OR VW)
* HEATED SEATS
* CRUISE CONTROL
* VW ALARM
* TRACKER (ESP V5 AND V6 4MOTION)
* FULL VW SERVICE HISTORY

Cam Belts
Can't Stress this enough, make sure it's changed in the Log Book and look for a sticker actually in the engine bay. You can pay upwards of £300 for a cambelt change so make sure that its either been done (and check with the garage too where they say they had it done) or ask them to reduce the asking price by £300 so you get it done.

The V5 models have chains and they do not need cam belt changes.

For about 3k you can get yourself a nice 51 Plate 2.0, it will be average miles and there are a load of nice colours to choose from. Whatever you decide to go for good luck and remember to HPI check any vehicle you think about buying.

Regards
Bora23.
Lincs PC

Great informed answer.
I would have to say that the 150 PS V5 is a little dissapointing from a performance perspective,acceleration isn't that great. It's good for long distance motorway driving and I normally get around 33 mpg. I've had mine 5 years and put 120k miles on it without any big problems,just regular oil changes and servicing.

Some bits I have had done in 120k miles:

Rear caliper seized.
Battery fuse box fault.
Squeaking suspension.
Front wheel bearing.
New discs all round.

Most of these things you would expect in that time and the build is generally very good. Engine and gearbox still feel like new.

I notice there is no mention of the 1.8t version?

deserthawk
26-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies and links.
bora23 - great info, if your V5 170ps averages 35mpg I might just consider one of those. It's about the same as I'm getting from the A4.
I'll start looking soon!

bora23
28-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Great informed answer.
I would have to say that the 150 PS V5 is a little dissapointing from a performance perspective,acceleration isn't that great. It's good for long distance motorway driving and I normally get around 33 mpg. I've had mine 5 years and put 120k miles on it without any big problems,just regular oil changes and servicing.

Some bits I have had done in 120k miles:

Rear caliper seized.
Battery fuse box fault.
Squeaking suspension.
Front wheel bearing.
New discs all round.

Most of these things you would expect in that time and the build is generally very good. Engine and gearbox still feel like new.

I notice there is no mention of the 1.8t version?

V5Paul, your so Right. How could i forget the 1.8T? Great car, i had a 1.8T golf for 6 months as a demo when i worked for VW and they are superb, a little thirsty but drives like an animal. Quite rare to find though in the Bora..

oska
31-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Just joined up as I'm interested in getting a Bora as a family car. Currently have a Clio 182 which I've had since new 3 years ago. I still want good performance as the Clio is pretty rapid but also being made of tin foil I wouldn't want to transport kids in it.

Is the V6 4Motion expensive to run? Obviously quite thirsty but someone mentioned servicing costs are high, is this true and has anyone had any experience with them?

Cheers

bora23
31-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I have the one down from it , the v5 but it is the 170 BHP version with the 2324cc engine. It is not expensive at all to run, the MPG i get varies between 25-35mpg and on long hauls it gets to 40mpg.

As luck would have it i am also selling mine!

V6 4 Motions are expensive to run and the performance is better than the V5 but only marginally.

Insurance is higher too for the V6.

Bora23.

oska
31-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Cheers for the reply. I'd consider a V5 but I'm not quite ready yet if you are selling yours. The highlines are pretty rare aren't they? I was also attracted by 4WD on the V6 but I expect that adds to running, tires etc.