PDA

View Full Version : AFN Engine busted, exchange options?

Arche
31-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi!

I've got an issue with A4 1,TDI AFN engine - a valve broke and the surroundings took a thorough beating. The repairman reported that it looked pretty bad so I'm researching now if it's cheaper to have it repaired or get a new engine. Any suggestions?

The B5 engines should be interchangeable so if I get my hands on AVG/AJM/ATJ it should fit.
But how about B6 ones? As there will be some major engine work anyway I'd love to get a 15kW upgrade from 81 to 96 by installing AWX or AVF engine.
Can anyone enlighten me about the possibilities of the idea? Ho many differences are there? The dimensions should be the same, but what about the CPUs, pumps etc?

Thanks a lot!

adamss24
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Only AHU(wastegated turbo so exhaust downpipe is different), AFN and AVG will drop right in without having to change much on the wiring loom of the engine = plug and play. The PD engine (AWX,AVF and ATJ) will be drop-in but the ECU needs replacing and the engine wiring loom needs swapping as well + the instruments needs the ecu to be adapted too. The easy option is to change like for like, the other options will require a lot more parts to be swapped from the donor car.