PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug light not showing, and ECU not accessable.

justinbaker
25-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Hello Folks,

I have had a huge nightmare with a VW Transporter 2.5 Tdi, that died last week. I managed to borrow a snap-on reader, that pointed to the G2 temperature sensor, and would not read the ECU.

I have spend well over 10 hours checking cleaning earth points, trying relay 109 etc.

I had a local VW garage look at the trouble and they didnt know what it is.

It keeps raining on me as soon as I get enthusiastic about attempting further investigation, and I am morally obliged to tell anyone reading this that I am 1. Either thinking about ending it all, or 2. having a huge bonfire on my drive.

There is some rather large wires from the battery that connect into some connections and control unit under the N/Side headlamp support, and as this part seems to supply the glow plugs (according to my multi-meter) should I replace this?

The ECU not reading led me to remove it, open up the casing and have a good sniff. This seemed to smell as it should, and not like you have been proding the fire with a bic pen.

If there is any suggestions on what to check, how to check, then £20 for the winner (seriously). I cant afford to throw money at it with a major dealership.

I am in the process of breaking little clips during my frustration, and rather that get into pulling fuse boards out would light to tread carefully.

Come on £20!!!!

dov
27-06-2007, 07:13 AM
dont know if this is any help . i had a passat tdi with gremlins i took it to a local garage who pluged in there reader wich didnt do much i bit the bullet took it to vw and there reader found 3 faults went back to my local garage who then told me there reader was the same as vws one ye right thats why vw found 3 faults and they didnt .you never know vw took 50 quid for reading worth it . you never know try the boys that know

Freshup
30-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Hi,
I take it there is no power to glowplugs. Check main electrical board. The black plastic panel where the relays plug in, separate carefully, lots of brass contacts. I have had couple of occasions where the contacts behind the glowplug relay are cooked. Clean and squeeze together. Once power to big wires by headlight, put big ampmeter in line, should draw 50amps (glowplugs draw 10amp each) any less, faulty glowplugs 1 = 10 2 = 20 etc Hope this helps

justinbaker
05-07-2007, 08:45 AM
I have got to this stage, pulling everything out and re-seating all the fuses, but I will try and seperate the board later tonight. Its got to be worth a try.

Freshup
07-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Good Luck,

bigredvan
07-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi,
we had the same problem with our van. found to be a dry joint in the 109 relay which is a common problem. confirmed this when i found this german site, (don't worry, it's not naughty pictures):
http://www.t4-wiki.de/wiki/Relais_109
Took me 6 hours !
by the way I resoldered the faulty joints.
If it solves your problem do something worthwile with the reward and I don't mean the pub.