PDA

View Full Version : mk3 golf gti8v transmission problem

geester mc gti
25-06-2007, 10:25 PM
brand new to site so big hi to everyone,, now then,every man and his dog have given me advise without looking at my car so not expecting miracles, drove it home from work on fri and went to press the clutch and something went twang and pedal went to the floor, i am a technical novice so instantly thought the cable has snapped,no big worry,but cable is ok,as my mate had hold of the end at the gearbox and it pulled when i moved the pedal,the "arm"at the gearbox end can move freely.so thoughts ran to new clutch,but the car will run if i put it in gear with no clutch pedal moving so been told it wont be the clutch,could it be the clutch operating fork??? or the clutch push rod???any help will be treasured as i dont get a big wage blah blah blah,,many thanks in advance,look forward to some "help":o :aargh4:

geester mc gti
26-06-2007, 10:17 PM
garage came to take my car to sort it out today, have had a few golf owners thinking the problem is related to the clutch control arm or the clutch rod but they have been looked at and are ok, the mechanic said he would need to take the gearbox apart to find the cause of the problem ,,,,will be getting a call from them tomorrow so i am dreading it,,,,:zx11: :1zhelp:

geester mc gti
27-06-2007, 08:01 PM
:zx11: :mad: :aargh4: :aargh4: got a call from the garage that is fixing my car,, shelling out £300 when i go to pick it up, this is to pay for a new clutch and clutch parts,,,will give breakdown of bill when i get it,but still suffering from shock so will keep it short and sweet,,, not a happy chappie at all:aargh4: :aargh4: :zx11:

adamss24
27-06-2007, 09:21 PM
The noise you heard was the pressure plate snapping...do you have a habit of riding the clutch or holding the peddal pressed while you stationary at the traffic lights ? If yes, i suggest you stop doing that !

geester mc gti
28-06-2007, 09:34 PM
cheers buddy, been driving since i was thirteen starting on tractors and harvesters in scotland,,,took and passed my advanced driving course several years ago, and have driven for years as a job for the company i work for in a t350 125 transit van,,,and that has never needed more than a service,,,i understand what you are saying but i dont think in this case it is down to driver error,,,:confused: thanks anyway,