PDA

View Full Version : Attention B7 Brake failure problems

gramsey
30-12-2010, 10:33 AM
As with other members on the site I've just suffered braking problems on my B7
(2007 2.0 TDI S-Line Avant 70K miles) in the cold weather.
I put my winter wheels on two weeks ago and checked discs and pads then, both were fine, so can't see them as being contributory to this issue.

Pedal was solid with no effect on speed, similar to no servo effect.If pedal is pumped then the brakes were more effective, but I couldn't have performed a successful emergency stop.

Searching the net has found the attached link which is quite interesting reading.

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=701&page=12

skymaster
30-12-2010, 11:10 AM
If this is the old 'water in plenum chamber' issue then it's quite frankly unbelievable! This fault occured back on the old b5 a4 and passat models... If audi hadn't sorted it out by 2007 someone needs to get fired!

X4HOL
30-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I also have had this problem. I checked the fluid, have recently had new pads and discs and am appalled. Just logged on here because the wife has called me saying she is shaking after the breaks failed and almost ran into someone!

Utterly unbelievable for Audi

OVI82
30-12-2010, 02:14 PM
had this problem a few weeks back.tyres were in good condition,brake pads were ok and so was the brake fluid.took the car to car wash and on my way back home i could hear the water under the bonnet splashing around.got home and opened the bonet and guess what......the water had risen to the top of the batery.basically the hole section at the bottom of the windscreen (i believe it's called ''plenum chamber'')was flooded.i took at least 3-4 liters of water out of there.had a look on the forum(b6 section too) and found out wat was causing this.there are 2 drainage holes(way too small)in that area.one that's under the baterry and one under the servo.you should be able to get to the one under the servo yourself,but the one under the batery it's a bit tricky.mine were full of mud.once unblocked everythings fine again.sonme of the b6 models have a plastic cover that runs across the hole length of the plenum chamber which probably stops some of the s..t getting in that area and blocking your 2 drainage holes.i'm not sure if this will help with your problem but it's something worth checking.

X4HOL
31-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I checked where my server is and there is a little water there (aprox 1/2 cm) I'm now checking if my car had the recall done as I bought it second hand. Will be fuming if it hasn't seen as I have kept up the services with Audi.

skymaster
31-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know the official name or code for the recall? My bonnet will be up shortly to check for water :-/