PDA

View Full Version : How do i know its a 170? Please HELP!!

garyroberts
25-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I know this is a very basic question - but i can't find the answer anywhere!

How can i distinguish between the 140 tdi and the 170 tdi from the outside? Is the boot badge different?

My Passat Estate Sport 2.0 dsg is due in the morning! Can't wait.

Thank you.

Flash2
25-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Don't think you can tell just by looking at the body, but there is a sticker in the spare wheel well that will tell you the engine output (103kW = 140BHP / 125kW = 170BHP). There should also be a little silver sticker somewhere around the drivers door aperture that has the engine BHP and fuel type.

Jim.

garyroberts
25-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks Flash2. Now I can check the car when it arrives!

iaint
26-06-2007, 08:25 AM
I may be wrong here but I have seen B6 Passats with a red I in the TDI and as I've only seen it on sport and SEL models, I assumed it to be an indicator of a 170 engine. (The 170 is only available in these trims, SE and S are 140 only)

It's a different looking red I from the B5 ones so it's not that someone has stuck a red I on just to be different, also I've seen one on hire car (with the small green e enterprise sticker on the boot lid) so that wouldn't have been added to fool people.

As with the B5 Passats it's only a matter of time before the red I's appear on other diesels so it's best not to rely on it when buying.

Cheers
Iain

passat170
26-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi,
Please check the cruise control to see if it has the same fault as my 170 TDI has had from new and let me know (you can see my posting in the Passat - B6 Forum).
I hope it doesn't!
Many thanks,
Jonathan

Flash2
26-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I may be wrong here but I have seen B6 Passats with a red I in the TDI and as I've only seen it on sport and SEL models, I assumed it to be an indicator of a 170 engine. (The 170 is only available in these trims, SE and S are 140 only)

Really? I've never seen a red i on any of the B6 Passats I've worked on.
Does yours have one Jonathan?

Jim.

passat170
27-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Yes I can confirm that my SEL 170 TDI has a red I and I believe the Sport 170 TDI is the same.
Jonathan

garyroberts
28-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Well. My cars here and its very very good!

It has a red i (and i confirmed it was the 170 by looking in the spare wheel well - there is a sticker in there detailing the kw value (125 for the 170) as previously stated earlier in the thread.

I have the sport and it does not come with cruise control as standard - and i didn't spec it - so i can't comment on that.

The DSG box is a dream. I've never driven an auto before but this gearbox is incredible - i also have the paddles on the steering wheel - which i am still mastering.

First impressions are very good.

Thank you for your advise.

samblackman
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Another difference between the 140 TDI and 170 TDI is the exhaust. The 140 TDI exhaust curves down at the end (like most diesels).

The 170 DPF has a straight double pipe exhaust.

Sam

reggieD
05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
this is probably a really stupid question. can someone tell me how the different vw badges differentiate. i,e. GT red I and straight silver GTI. is the gt red i the 1.8T 180 brake version? also you get the TDI badges as well. my mate has a T red D I golf and he says it has the same engine as the GT TDI. is that so, surely it would have the GT TDI badge?? if someone could clear that up for me it would be appreciated, it does my head in not knowing seeing all the different cars with the different badges on.

Cheers

Adam

Quatrelle
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't say the exhausts on my 140 curve down. They are two large bore pipes that are straight but point down slightly. They're a cheat actually because VW have just tacked two big pipes onto the smaller pipes that exit the back box. I think it was the earlier 140s that had smaller curved pipes.

Some previous VWs had TD and a red I, so perhaps VW have found a batch on a shelf somewhere.....

iaint
06-07-2007, 07:54 AM
I think (but I may be wrong) that the 140 and 170 both have the same exhausts. The curved pipes are from the 1.9 engine and the badge on the boot just says TDI with no mention of 1.9.

The only way to tell from the outside the diffence betwwen a 140 and a 170 is the red I, and because the I is smaller on the B6 than the I on the B5 then it is quite hard to spot.

The other way to tell of course is if one pulls away from you like you are standing still in your 140, then at the next set of lights you can look for the red I to confirm it, I said knowingly.

Cheers
Iain

Quatrelle
06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I think (but I may be wrong) that the 140 and 170 both have the same exhausts. The curved pipes are from the 1.9 engine and the badge on the boot just says TDI with no mention of 1.9.

Cheers
IainAh, yes, that would explain it - I shall have to start looking....

John

iaint
10-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I think (but I may be wrong)

I was wrong, a 170 has just arrived at work and I've been out to have a look at the differences. The exhaust is straight on the 170 but the pipes seem to be the same diameter as the 140.

It would appear that the differences in the exhausts for the diesel engines are:

1.9TDI, definitely a smaller diameter than the 2.0TDI and a pronounced curve down.

2.0TDI 140, Larger diameter than the 1.9TDI with a slight curve down.

2.0TDI 170, Same diameter as the 140 but straight.

So I'm now sad enough to tell the difference between the 3 diesel Passats, just by looking at the exhaust.

I'll get my coat.
Iain

Quatrelle
10-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I'll get my coat.
Iain
That's all right, you can have my anorak:Blush2:

ditech50
16-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Silver TDI 90 BHP
Silver TD, Red I 100BHP
Silver T, Red DI 115 BHP (Classed as GT TDI in tax book but no GT Badge on boot)
RED TDI 130 BHP (Classed as GT TDI in tax book but no GT Badge on boot)
SILVER GT RED TDI 150 BHP (Classed as GT TDI in tax book AND GT ON BOOT)

But i believe volkswagen had slight variance from this near end of range.

LEE scaff
05-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Hi I Own A Tdi Sel 170 Estate Yes It Does Have A Red I On The Tdi Dadge

sathound
10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi I Own A Tdi Sel 170 Estate Yes It Does Have A Red I On The Tdi Dadge

Yep!, my 170PS 6 speed DPF SEL has 2 STRAIGHT exhausts and only the "I" of 2.0 TDI is in red.

claranet
14-12-2007, 01:12 AM
I was advised by my dealer that the 2.0 L TdI 170 PS signify that it is a 170.
The question came about after discussing whether VW were going to to a W8 version.

I said that I have only ever seen two W8s both Estates.

The dealer says if I want a W8 equivalent I'll have to wait for the R36. Hmmm

can't afford one of those, even if I could, for that sort of money there are plenty of alternatives from BMW etc.

The clue will be in the chassis No.

Regards

claranet

claranet
18-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Another difference between the 140 TDI and 170 TDI is the exhaust. The 140 TDI exhaust curves down at the end (like most diesels).

The 170 DPF has a straight double pipe exhaust.

Sam
Presumably, because the 170 has a DPF fitted as standard the risk of spraying walls etc with black nasties is minimal so the Exhaust pipe(s) can be straight.

claranet

Quatrelle
18-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I was under the impression they'd all (140s etc) got DPFs.

JohnH
18-12-2007, 04:32 PM
OK so I'm in the wrong place here, but the 170 TDi in my A4 Avant is signified by the two separate 'slightly turned down' exhausts (either side), the 2.0TDi badge is exactly the same as the 140 though.

What I wanted to ask was whether you're happy with the fuel economy of the 170 TDi in the Passat because I'm pretty disappointed by my Audi to be honest, refinement and driveability aren't that great either ? :confused:

Quatrelle
18-12-2007, 05:35 PM
The 140, although less powerful, obviously, is generally thought to be a 'better' engine compared to the 170, especially when the 170 is mated to the DSG box.

Mine's a 140, and although I tried the 170 DSG the only reason I didn't buy it was because I didn't feel I could justify the extra cost and because in my neck of the woods I don't have to keep changing gear. V. nice otherwise though.....

domestos
19-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I know this is a very basic question - but i can't find the answer anywhere!

How can i distinguish between the 140 tdi and the 170 tdi from the outside? Is the boot badge different?

My Passat Estate Sport 2.0 dsg is due in the morning! Can't wait.

Thank you.

Doesn't 170 only come in a SEL spec? or is that just my dumb *** again!!!

If it does only come with the SEL spec, then you should be able to tell with the chrome insert in the front grille.

Dook
19-12-2007, 01:51 PM
170 comes in various trim levels, inc Sport, which is the one I have, with DSG. The only difference is the 'i' on the TDi badge. It is red instead of silver, but very hard to see until really close. MPG won't set the world alight, but I am quite happy with approx 40-42 average on my daily commute compared with 28 or so in a remapped petrol Octy vRS!!

DaveNN
19-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Presumably, because the 170 has a DPF fitted as standard the risk of spraying walls etc with black nasties is minimal so the Exhaust pipe(s) can be straight.

claranet

Sorry to butt in .....Whilst I understand what/why/whatever a DPF is, the spec' states that it may not prove to be useful (I paraphrase) in inner cities or the Channel Islands.
Anybody knows why pls?

Thanks & Merry Christmas!!!!

ps....Mine comes on 01/04/08 (170SEL TDi) & I'm really looking forward to getting it!!!:D

Quatrelle
19-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Apparently you need to get the exhaust hot to burn the DPF clean. This entails driving the car on a motorway etc. for at least 15 mins (ideally in 4th?). Pottering about won't clean it and it will block and need cleaning (apparently!).

A very long steep hill...?

DaveNN
19-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Apparently you need to get the exhaust hot to burn the DPF clean. This entails driving the car on a motorway etc. for at least 15 mins (ideally in 4th?). Pottering about won't clean it and it will block and need cleaning (apparently!).

A very long steep hill...?

Great...so to improve the environment it may be better to drive about at higher revs than required & (by default) burn more fuel????
:biglaugh:

Quatrelle
19-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Great...so to improve the environment it may be better to drive about at higher revs than required & (by default) burn more fuel????
:biglaugh:Well yes, but you only have to do it occasionally (apparently)....;)

DaveNN
19-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Well yes, but you only have to do it occasionally (apparently)....;)

I suppose I could blast about in 6th (a lot!!!)....off topic on its way!!!
This might seem a bit sad ..BUT I've never been so 'excited' about getting a new car!!!:Blush2:
I'm lucky enough to replace my cars (Company) every 2 years max & have done so for nigh on 20 yrs. Whilst I've had all manner of brands before (Saab, Rover, Ford, Volvo etc) but never a VW. I am like four year old on Christmas Eve night at the moment. It could well be that the Web has made access to additional info more readily available...or all the 'bells & whistles' that will come with it ...which I wouldn't know about if it wasn't for this forum:beerchug:

ionic
05-05-2008, 07:15 PM
It's prob been said on here but the 170 is only available in Sport & SEL

I've had mine just over 3 months & it's very impressive.

It's smooth & relaxed to drive so you can potter about, & if you need it the power is there.

I like the sound too, it has a snarly howl to it as the revs rise. I'm pleasantly surprised & didn't expect this.

The only complaint so far is that the rides a bit harder than I like, but I was expecting this as it's a sport!