PDA

View Full Version : VW tool ECU recode 1993 Polo GT (Digifant)

schneil
28-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Hello all My first post on here. I've bought a cable and have been using VWTool to look at various sensor readings on my 1993 VW polo GT. I accidentally clicked onto the "recode module" button instead of the "data blocks" last week and VWtool has changed the number in my polo's software coding. Before: http://img196.imageshack.us/i/vwtool1.jpg/ After : http://img196.imageshack.us/i/vwtool4.jpg/ I've tried putting in the old value, but the software won't change the number back. I've also tried a shareware copy of VCDS and the boxes are blank: http://img827.imageshack.us/i/vagcom.jpg/ So I have the following questions: 1. Does my ECU actually support software coding? It is only digifant afterall! 2. If it does, have I done something bad? Car still runs OK. 3. If it does, would I be able to put the original values back in a registered copy of vagcom? thanks Neil

Crasher
28-12-2010, 03:51 PM
You will need someone with a car like yours and VCDS to help you with this, I have no soft coding data for the 3F ECU.

schneil
28-12-2010, 05:58 PM
So you're saying I should try a registered version of VCDS on another polo GT and see what the coding values are? Would the coding values appear on a shareware version? If I can alter the coding values using VCDS, should I put my old value in (00128)? thanks

Crasher
28-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes but 00128 does not ring any bells for me, 00000 sounds wrong too, I would have expected it to be 00001. I have some 3F data on my server at work from reads on customers cars but I have no idea which reg number it would be under. You would be better to go onto Club Polo’s site and ask someone who has VCDS to look at their soft coding for you.

schneil
29-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi again. Sorry for all the questions. I tried both VWTool and VCDS on two H plate GTs last night. Neither car would talk to the laptop using my lead, however mine an L reg is quite happy to talk to my laptop. Have you had any issues talking to GT to G40 polos? Is there an early/later spec version of the GT's ECU? When I get chance, I'm going to try one of the H-plate ECUs on my car to check its not a wiring problem. thanks again

Crasher
29-12-2010, 02:28 PM
As far as I can remember I have not had a comms issue with a 3F or PY engine, maybe the harness to diagnostic plug link was not plugged in behind the glovebox or someone has pinched the power feed for an alarm, I have seen that a lot.

Here’s one I did a while back, there was no soft coding value.

VCDS
Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
Version: Beta 803.4
www.Ross-Tech.com
Dealer/Shop Name: C & R Enterprises
Workshop Code: 000 00000
Diagnostic Trouble Code Report
Thursday,24,April,2008,16:31:29:61840
VIN: License Plate: H11***
Mileage: Repair Order:
Control Module Part Number: 030 906 022 K
Component and/or Version: DIGIFANT0746
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code:
1 Fault Found:
00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
03-00 - No Signal
Readiness: N/A

schneil
29-12-2010, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Crasher;594671]
Here’s one I did a while back, there was no soft coding value.

Interesting one. I'm guessing you've used a registered version of VCDS, which is displaying a blank value like my unregistered version. Looking at the ECU's number its the same as mine.

So do you think we can conclude:

1. The 3F ECU does support software coding, but the value is not used (as 3F and PY have very primitive ECU's). For this reason Vagcom doesn't display the value as it doesn't do anything. From what I understand about the 3F ECU, all the operating software and maps are on ROMS, you can't flash upgrade the firmware like on newer cars. I'm not sure where the stored value would be as I disconnected the battery for 5 days, so should have wiped its RAM.

2. VWTool does display a value, but as it doesn't do anything I can't change it back from 00000 to 00128. I can't imagine VWTool having an extra feature that VCDS doesn't. (VCDS was designed as a successor to VWTool right?)

So no need to worry about my ECU, it will plod along regardless?
(Which it seems to be doing at the moment).

Crasher
30-12-2010, 12:07 AM
I don’t think the 3F ECU supports soft coding but I cannot explain that first value you experienced but then again I have never used VW Tool except once when I was in the USA back in 2000.