PDA

View Full Version : Washer jets not working

ross980
27-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Ok, so i pretty sure it's not that the solution is frozen (solution is mixed to winter concentration and it's been above 0 all day and it still doesn't work). I've checked the fuse (F26 from memory) and that's ok. Also, I can't hear the motor/pump going when I try the front or rear washer (which I'd expect to hear even if the solution was frozen solid in the reservoir) - I certainly haven't been constantly trying the washers when it's been -8 so shouldn't have blown the motor (one day it worked, the next day it didn't). Anyone else had problems?
My guess is a loose connection or a blown motor/pump - I assume this is covered under warranty?

SC03OTT
27-12-2010, 07:47 PM
If you can't hear the pump then yeah it does seem more than just a frozen solution problem. And yes, it will be covered under warranty. Just fire down to your dealer and get it boked in.

paul.mgrath
28-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I have just had a headlight switch replaced under warranty so it could quite possibly be an electrical component failure.

jjh
28-12-2010, 06:50 PM
mine stopped working completely whilst out of solution.
Filled it up and it started working again.
Strange but true....

Gerryf
29-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Strange but true....

Thanks for the heads up JJH :), I must top mine up before it stops, I've never topped the screen washer container up in the 4 months I've had the car....it seems to have an endless supply.....lol

Fingers crossed for you Ross :)

ross980
30-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Strange but true....

Ok, slightly embarrassing but they've started working again. I guess what probably happened is that there must have been a blockage in the pipe caused by the solution freezing which has prevented the fluid reaching the pump (the reservoir wasn't frozen and the solution was concentrated for winter use). I'm still surprised that a 60 mile trip on the motorway didn't generate enough heat under the bonnet to defrost things.

slowhand
01-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok, slightly embarrassing but they've started working again. I guess what probably happened is that there must have been a blockage in the pipe caused by the solution freezing which has prevented the fluid reaching the pump (the reservoir wasn't frozen and the solution was concentrated for winter use). I'm still surprised that a 60 mile trip on the motorway didn't generate enough heat under the bonnet to defrost things.

That is because VW in their wisdom put the resevoir in the wheel arch (I know they are not the only ones) so once frozen it won't melt until the weather warms up again. All washer bottles should be under the bonnet, so that even if you mess up and don't put enough antifreeze in it will eventually thaw during the journey, a safety insurance surely.

I remeber years ago in a Orion (washer bottle in wheel arch) every 10 mins I had to get right up close behind the guy in front so that I could use the spray off his back wheels to wipe my windscreen.

Keithuk
01-01-2011, 08:32 PM
True they should be in the engine compartment but have you looked in yours to see where it would fit? In mine there is no room for anything.

Happy New Year guys. ;)

Killer
01-01-2011, 11:58 PM
You say you had washer fluid at winter level concentration. Some of the temperatures at night recently meant using almost neat concentration.

The trouble is that neat concentration might wreck the paintwork. :confused:

It is a dilemma.

Ali-cat
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi, I've had exactly the same experience - solution not frozen, no wirring sound etc but then it started working again once the weather had warmed up a little.

Keithuk
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the forum. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/KStanier/VWwelcome.gif

Hi, I've had exactly the same experience - solution not frozen, no wirring sound etc but then it started working again once the weather had warmed up a little.
Well if yours wasn't frozen what was stopping yours from working?

We have another fellow Potter here so what do you drive, put it in your signature? ;)

slowhand
02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
It is possible that the water in the pump was frozen as there is only a small amount in there, but the resevoir it's self was still liquid as there is quite a large mass of it, that would stop the pump turning, when it thawed hey presto working again.

Strangely exactly the problem facing me when I get back to work, pumps and valves cracked when frozen but sump and pipes ok. But I bet it will cost a few bob to repair, they did not fair well at all.

Ali-cat
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the forum. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/KStanier/VWwelcome.gif

Well if yours wasn't frozen what was stopping yours from working?

We have another fellow Potter here so what do you drive, put it in your signature? ;)

I'm assuming it was frozen somewhere in the pump/motor.
Yay I'm a Stokie! I've only recently bought a VW and I'm new to the forum so will try to make a more interesting signature!:confused:

Keithuk
03-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Yay I'm a Stokie! I've only recently bought a VW and I'm new to the forum so will try to make a more interesting signature!:confused:

Welcome fellow Stokie. I don't see anything in your sig yet? ;)