PDA

View Full Version : struggling up the hills

davethebarge
26-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Hi everyone, Merry Christmas.
I'm a newbie and have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me out with.

I have a 1.9 A4 Avant diesel automatic. xreg.
Firstly, Recently in Devon she struggled up a very steep hill. It felt like she was trying to get up the hill in 3rd gear.

Secondly, when I first drive the car in the mornings she tends to not want to change gear. Pulling away seems o.k. but changing from 3rd to 4th seems sluggish. Having said that, after a couple of miles everything seems to be o.k.

Any ideas anyone ? This is my first Audi and I love it so I am hoping there is nothing major occuring here.

Thanks alot,
Dave.

yaman
27-12-2010, 10:14 AM
You'd be as well getting a diagnostic scan done, preferably vag-com
or vcds, because it could be your engine going into limp-mode or
the box acting-up.

When was the fluid and filter changed in the box?

Regards
Jim

davethebarge
27-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Cheers Jim for getting back to me.
I did get the fluid looked at by Audi of Poole back in October. They ended up putting 6 litres in (after draining it first i assume) They couldn't find anything wrong but had no really steep hills to check it on.
We drove back to Scotland and all seemed o.k. But as I said before, of late she seems to struggle with changing first thing in the morning. She seems to stay in what I think is third until I get on the straight. After that everything seems o.k. again. I wondered if it was just the cold weather affecting things but I'm really not sure.

I have another question which I shall post seperately which you may be able to help with.

Very grateful for your suggestions,

Regards,
Dave.

phil miller
27-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Devon what a lovely err place, the hills round here are awful lol

on reading this my first thought is the oil needs changing in the box, but then reading this has been changed by a dealer i very much doubt they put the wrong oil in, but it does happen, if it was me id do as the OP has suggested and get a full scan done that way it will give a better idea if its a box or engine fault

davethebarge
27-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks Phil,
I will book her in as soon as possible.
I will report back when I find something out, it may be useful to someone else.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me out here.

Dave.