PDA

View Full Version : Question Best White Headlight Bulbs

A4 Lad
24-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi folks and Merry Christmas. I have got a new set of LED projector headlights and do not want to go down the road of HID kits as I have heard sooo many people complaining that the burn the headlights out and they are ebay ones so lets face it, they need all the help that they can get :-) I was wondering what is the best buy from peoples experiance for these bright white headlight replacement bulbs just and do these brighter bulbs heat up more than normal and run the risk of burning the projectors too or is that not the case ? Any help would be great and I hope that Santa is good to you all tomorrow !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as I cant be ***** turning on my laptop !

big jase
26-12-2010, 06:47 PM
i was looking at getting the hid's myself but would be interested to know of any better light bulb's as would also be cheaper .

A4 Lad
26-12-2010, 11:40 PM
i was looking at getting the hid's myself but would be interested to know of any better light bulb's as would also be cheaper .

HID will burnnout your projector. It did on my work mates older a4

big jase
27-12-2010, 01:34 PM
read a few report's that people who fit hids with there projectors have had no problem's, not sure if bez was one i had read ?

Crasher
27-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Just fit Halfords +90’s. If that is not enough, fit relays under the dash to each dipped beam circuit and this will reduce the voltage drop to each bulb by about 30%. HID’s are illegal.

black999
27-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Recently fitted a set of "Ring" XenonMax upgrade bulbs to my A4 B8.
They claim 100% more light on the road !
From my point of view , the improvement was worth the expense:D

Crasher
27-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Yes and they are 100% legal for use in the UK.

black999
27-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Yes and they are 100% legal for use in the UK.

Agreed , still 55w and 100% road legal:D

A4 Lad
27-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Recently fitted a set of "Ring" XenonMax upgrade bulbs to my A4 B8.
They claim 100% more light on the road !
From my point of view , the improvement was worth the expense:D

Yea, I think ill stick to your advice. HID does not interest me at all. I think ill go for the H7 Philips X-treme Vision bulbs from ebay of course as the other sites are a fortune !!!

A4 Lad
27-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Just fit Halfords +90’s. If that is not enough, fit relays under the dash to each dipped beam circuit and this will reduce the voltage drop to each bulb by about 30%. HID’s are illegal.

I dont understand your reply crasher or are you taking the **** lol ?

Crasher
28-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Err no, I think my reply was quite self-explanatory but let me clarify.

Halfords is a car parts shop and their own brand high power bulbs are +90% brighter in their opinion and I have them in my own car, they made enough difference that I was happy.

If I had not been, I could have installed voltage drop relays into the wiring that take power directly from a battery line and send it to each filaments wire individually and this increases the voltage at each bulb. Typically, I see the voltage at the bulb (connected, powered and engine running) rise from 9.5 volts to around 13 volts, engine running. This makes a noticeable difference. To measure the voltage drop accurately, place a multimeter (on voltage setting) between the filament wire at the bulb and the battery terminal, this will show the voltage drop, which is typically around 3 volts.

In the UK, according to the Department Of Transport, HID aftermarket bulb kits are illegal.

A4 Lad
28-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Err no, I think my reply was quite self-explanatory but let me clarify.

Halfords is a car parts shop and their own brand high power bulbs are +90% brighter in their opinion and I have them in my own car, they made enough difference that I was happy.

If I had not been, I could have installed voltage drop relays into the wiring that take power directly from a battery line and send it to each filaments wire individually and this increases the voltage at each bulb. Typically, I see the voltage at the bulb (connected, powered and engine running) rise from 9.5 volts to around 13 volts, engine running. This makes a noticeable difference. To measure the voltage drop accurately, place a multimeter (on voltage setting) between the filament wire at the bulb and the battery terminal, this will show the voltage drop, which is typically around 3 volts.

In the UK, according to the Department Of Transport, HID aftermarket bulb kits are illegal.

Ahh right, get you now. Never heard of people doing this but its a very well thought out idea. I ordered the Philips bulbs as mentioned so ill let yous know how I get on when they arrive. Thanks crasher

black999
30-12-2010, 08:32 PM
In an earlier post I stated that I fitted a set of "Xenon Max" upgrade bulbs from "Ring" to my A4 B8, and I am very happy with them.
Since then there has been a couple of posts that mention the "Philips X-Treme Vision" and others from Halfords.
My question is , are the two alternatives the same performance wise or is one better than the other ?

The Philips ones are considerably more expensive but both claim 55W and 100% more light on the road.

Any opinions or indeed experiences shared would be much appreciated :D

smithb
30-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi, I have just fit Bosch Pure Light dipped beam bulbs and i am very pleased with them.
I previously had 100w bulbs fitted and to be honest these bosch ones are miles better.
The road is lit brighter and the beam pattern is much wider and more affective. £10.99 per bulb from ********* plus they one the which? test. Highly Recomended. Ben

SC03OTT
31-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Osram Nightbreaker+ bulbs are my weapon of choice.

A4 Lad
31-12-2010, 01:10 AM
In an earlier post I stated that I fitted a set of "Xenon Max" upgrade bulbs from "Ring" to my A4 B8, and I am very happy with them.
Since then there has been a couple of posts that mention the "Philips X-Treme Vision" and others from Halfords.
My question is , are the two alternatives the same performance wise or is one better than the other ?

The Philips ones are considerably more expensive but both claim 55W and 100% more light on the road.

Any opinions or indeed experiences shared would be much appreciated :D

Not sure about the difference but I purchased the Philips ones and they should be fitted by next weekend with my new headlights so ill give my opion on them if that counts for anything :)

gblades
31-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I got a couple of sets of the Osram Nightbreaker for christmas.
How easy are they to fit as I have seen some conflicting statements when searching. Can you remove a cover and unclip the bulb or do you have to unscrew the headlamp and slide it forward a bit aswell?

thomas_lad
04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
these bulbs are your best bet here mate, the super whites. they are quite dear but well worth it

http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=44

thomas_lad
04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I got a couple of sets of the Osram Nightbreaker for christmas.
How easy are they to fit as I have seen some conflicting statements when searching. Can you remove a cover and unclip the bulb or do you have to unscrew the headlamp and slide it forward a bit aswell?

just squeeze hand it and pull the bulb out

A4 Lad
04-01-2011, 11:27 PM
If anyone is interested, the Philips X Treme 100 % h7 lights that I bought are of no use at all to me as my new headlights came today and they take an H9 bulb ! My fault, totally stupid !! £25 including delivery to anyone wanting them, if you check the prices out you will see this is a good price and the bulbs are brand new and not even out of their box yet.