PDA

View Full Version : Help with CV Gaiter Change

speeddevil68
24-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi All - I got the parts to replace inner and outer gaiters on my A3. Problem is I went and left my Haynes manual at my house and Im now at folks for XMAS as they have a better garage and spare cars when things go **** up.

Could someone please let me know the torquing procedure for the driveshaft nut (i remember it being torque, rotate 90 degrees, loosen and retorque) but if someone could let me know the exact procedures I would appreciate it. Also can someone let me know the torque for the bolts that secure the inner joint to the transmission?

Many thanks in advance and Merry Xmas everyone.

A4 Lad
24-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi All - I got the parts to replace inner and outer gaiters on my A3. Problem is I went and left my Haynes manual at my house and Im now at folks for XMAS as they have a better garage and spare cars when things go **** up.

Could someone please let me know the torquing procedure for the driveshaft nut (i remember it being torque, rotate 90 degrees, loosen and retorque) but if someone could let me know the exact procedures I would appreciate it. Also can someone let me know the torque for the bolts that secure the inner joint to the transmission?

Many thanks in advance and Merry Xmas everyone.

Tights tight !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk as I cant be ***** turning on my laptop !

NickPicks
31-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Hope it's not too late:
From my Haynes manual:

Hub Nut:
Stage 1 - 200 Nm (148 lbft)
Stage 2 - slacken one full turn (360deg)
Stage 3 - 50 Nm (37 lbft)
Stage 4 - Angle tighten a further 60degrees (2 points on 12 point nut / one flat on hex)

Hub Bolt:
Stage 1 - 240 Nm (177 lbft)
Stage 2 - Angle tighten a further 90degrees
Stage 3 - slacken one half turn (180deg)
Stage 4 - 240 Nm (177 lbft)
Stage 6 - Angle tighten a further 90degrees

(I'm not sure where stage 5 went, but it's not in my Haynes book!)

Use a new nut / bolt

speeddevil68
31-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Thats perfect thanks. Just completed the job. Was surprisingly easy to do as well.