PDA

View Full Version : golf gt tdi 130 2002 engine miss

madmonk
25-06-2007, 06:04 PM
hi while sitting in car on tick over i can feel the engine miss very slightly but rev pointer doesn't show this, feels like engine is about to cut out , it has done 34000 miles and just had belt done by vw. any ideas ?????

passat170
25-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi,
I had a 2001 Golf TDI 130 which had an occasional rough idle when cold (which wasn't a significant problem).
I bought the car from a VW dealer in Holland and it came with a 2 year manufacturers warranty.
My UK VW dealer on two occasions in the first 2 years of ownership said that they had found no fault.
I paid for the extended 3rd year warranty and when the car went in for a service in its 3rd year I again asked the dealer about the occasional rough idle - they told me that there was a replacement ECU with updated software to cure this and they fitted one for me.
I never noticed any rough idling after this.
But if your problem has only appeared after the timing belt change it is perhaps something to do with this. Now on some diesels I know that the valve timing has to be checked and adjusted if necessary when fitting a new belt - I don't know if this is the case on the TDI 130 but if it is it may be that incorrectly adjusted valve timing is causing your problem.
We need a more knowledgeable bod who knows more about timing belt changes and valve timing on this engine to comment further.
Hope this helps a little for now!
Jonathan

madmonk
25-06-2007, 09:01 PM
cheers for the info jonathan , i've only had car 1 week and the belt was only done as its over 4 year old or so the dealer said,its in dealership tomorrow to sort faulty fuel reading out so i think i'll get them to check it out and i'll mention ECU to them cheers mate.

madmonk
26-06-2007, 09:39 PM
cheers for the info jonathan , i've only had car 1 week and the belt was only done as its over 4 year old or so the dealer said,its in dealership tomorrow to sort faulty fuel reading out so i think i'll get them to check it out and i'll mention ECU to them cheers mate.

dealer has just checked ECU ect and says nothing is showing wrong ! anyone know how i stand with the vw used car warrenty??

passat170
05-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Sorry for delay in responding.
I've had a number of years of bad experiences with my local VW dealer.
My Golf TDI 130 (personally imported from Holland with a 2 year manufacturers warranty) had slight rough idling but the dealer advised "no fault found sir".
Thinking I might sell it in the 3rd year I paid for an extra year's warranty.
And during this insurance backed warranty period (no doubt when VW didn't have to pay for the repair) they said that there was a new ECU with new software to fix this problem and they were happy to fit this on the extended warranty.
Check the warranty, if there is a fault they shoud fix it.
I have no trust in my local dealer.
I have had nothing but devious and dishonest service from them (and I could be here writing all night about many bad experiences).
It is likely you will have to complain to get this fixed so be persistent.
Idling should be smooth!
J

passat170
05-07-2007, 01:39 AM
But please note madmonk that the fault may not be due to the ECU on your car, the valve timing does need to be checked when fitting a new belt, there are other factors which might cause this.
It should idle smoothly though.
Cheers, J.

madmonk
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
cheers j, the dealership acknolaged there was a rough idle but while they fixed my fuel gauge problem[sender] they temporary fixed the rough idle and he said he han't a clue how he done it but now its back and he said he checked everything that could be checked on the car, i think i will give it 1 more full tank then take it back if its still the same.

TDiBoraSam
06-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I have this exact same problem on my Bora TDi 130. The engine will idle OK on initial start-up, but when I've driven it for about half a mile to a mile, and then let it idle again, it shakes and feels like it's misfiring, although the rev counter doesnt move. Once the car is warmed up a bit more the idling problem seems to go away, with only the occassional 'shake' which is less pronounced than when the car is cold.

The dealer keeps telling me the same thing...no faults found etc etc. I'm considering rejecting the car because I've only had it for two weeks, and I can't be bothered arguing with dealers again..I had enough of that with my last car, and from what I've read above if it's timing belt or ECU the dealer won't want to know while it's under warranty.

madmonk
07-07-2007, 06:32 PM
sounds like we have the same problem mate but i have been told if you grief them enough and they have aknolaged there is a fault they have to fix it, sounds strange but when i use climate the miss goes away very strange

TDiBoraSam
07-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Yep, sounds like the same problem. My car was doing it again this morning, accompanied by a kind of grinding/knocking noise. I had a look under the bonnet and traced the noise to somewhere around the timing belt area.
Strange how the problem seems to get less noticable when the engine is warmed up?

madmonk
07-07-2007, 09:08 PM
i 'll let you know the outcome sam when i take it back in, but its nice how they stick a grand on the book price then don't want to know eh.

TDiBoraSam
08-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I discovered this morning that the shaking stops when I turn the Climate Control on. If it is set to 'OFF' or 'ECON' the car will shake, again accompained by a knocking noise. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow...must be something they know about.

madmonk
17-08-2007, 10:10 AM
:Blush:
hi while sitting in car on tick over i can feel the engine miss very slightly but rev pointer doesn't show this, feels like engine is about to cut out , it has done 34000 miles and just had belt done by vw. any ideas ?????
been in touch with dealer and they are replacing flywheel and cluch as the flywheel was worn they said clutch would be shaped to worn flywheel so needed changing aswell all done under warrenty and only 2 visits to dealership so it looks like there are some decent dealerships out there :beerchug:

passat170
19-08-2007, 02:27 PM
eh? Is replacing the worn flywheel / clutch expected to cure rough idling?

The dealers can be helpful in certain circumstances and depending on the severity of the problem.....

An occasional rough idle, when on the original manufacturers warranty, is put down to "no fault found sir"
(similar excuses could not be made for catastrophic or more evident failures)
(ie the customer is fobbed off and VW have saved money by not having to repair on warranty).
However, with an additional year's insurance backed warranty the diagnosis became "there is a new ECU with new software to fix this problem and we can do this for you under your warranty"!
(ie VW doesn't have to pay for the repair as the insurance backed warranty pays).

So the standard of service depends on the severity of the fault and the warranty arrangements in place (ie who is paying for the repair).

Always be wary of this!

It's taken me months and numerous visits to two dealers (after being fobbed off by one dealer and VW UK claiming that my cruise is working ok) before finally getting an answer from VW Germany (via the supplying dealer) that there is a new cruise control stalk to fix my problem (part now on back order). Maybe also there were cost implications on the dealer who I originally took the car to with the cruise fault (this wasn't the supplying dealer) so it was in their interests to fob me off rather than repairing the car (they did after all tell me on one occasion that they had fixed the cruise control and, one minute down the road after collecting the car, I returned to them to tell them the fault was still there!).

My Passat is in the manufacturers warranty period but Trading Standards advises that the manufacturer has no warranty obligations to the consumer whatsoever, it is the supplying dealer who has obligations to the consumer under the Sale of Goods Act.

madmonk
19-08-2007, 02:42 PM
eh? Is replacing the worn flywheel / clutch expected to cure rough idling?

The dealers can be helpful in certain circumstances and depending on the severity of the problem.....

An occasional rough idle, when on the original manufacturers warranty, is put down to "no fault found sir"
(similar excuses could not be made for catastrophic or more evident failures)
(ie the customer is fobbed off and VW have saved money by not having to repair on warranty).
However, with an additional year's insurance backed warranty the diagnosis became "there is a new ECU with new software to fix this problem and we can do this for you under your warranty"!
(ie VW doesn't have to pay for the repair as the insurance backed warranty pays).

So the standard of service depends on the severity of the fault and the warranty arrangements in place (ie who is paying for the repair).

Always be wary of this!

It's taken me months and numerous visits to two dealers (after being fobbed off by one dealer and VW UK claiming that my cruise is working ok) before finally getting an answer from VW Germany (via the supplying dealer) that there is a new cruise control stalk to fix my problem (part now on back order). Maybe also there were cost implications on the dealer who I originally took the car to with the cruise fault (this wasn't the supplying dealer) so it was in their interests to fob me off rather than repairing the car (they did after all tell me on one occasion that they had fixed the cruise control and, one minute down the road after collecting the car, I returned to them to tell them the fault was still there!).

My Passat is in the manufacturers warranty period but Trading Standards advises that the manufacturer has no warranty obligations to the consumer whatsoever, it is the supplying dealer who has obligations to the consumer under the Sale of Goods Act. they had already checked ECU ect on first visit and you were right they said no fault found sir, but on second visit and with me telling them the problem was cured if i depressed the clutch pedal ,they found the fly wheel to be worn when they stripped gearbox out ,they said it was a manufacturers fault and the warrenty covered it, they fitted a new clutch as the old one would of been shaped to the worn flywheel, they said something had dried up and caused the damage, that problem is now cured but on recieving my car back i noticed the the steering wheel to off center they are sorting this on monday