PDA

View Full Version : Turbo rebuild instructions wanted.

swalker
21-12-2010, 02:32 PM
As the title says,
I wouldn't think twice about rebuilding an engine so why not a turbo?

a set of instructions would be nice but, any one got some?

its a GT1749V 110bhp 2000 model.

Cheers.

ash_pearce
21-12-2010, 02:51 PM
As the title says,
I wouldn't think twice about rebuilding an engine so why not a turbo?

a set of instructions would be nice but, any one got some?

its a GT1749V 110bhp 2000 model.

Cheers.

In comparison an engine is easy to rebuild compared to a turbo, simply because of one reason... a home DIY mechanic cannot balance a turbo correctly.

Its vital that the impeller is correctly balanced otherwise the turbo will eat itself within a short period of time.

That said i'm sure people have simply replaced their worn parts with a re-build kit and had many happy miles out of it however with such an important part of the engine and the knowledge of damage they cause when they fail i would highly recommend that you leave a rebuild to the professionals.

more info try google 'turbo balancing'

Teflon
21-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I may be able to help a little here.

As Swalker says, rebuilding with new bearing, etc. including balancing is probably best left to the professional outfits. There are quite a few and prices vary a lot, but you can get a service exchange on a quick turn around for reasonable money. Google away.

However, one of the favourite turbo jobs is to clear out the crud from a VVT turbo on a diesel model. which is dropping into limp mode due to turbo overboost. I don't know if your model is petrol or diesel, but assuming you have an oil burner then it is a fairly strightforward job for anyone who would confidently strip an engine.

Precise details vary but the principles are the same. There is a very detailed and clear set of instructions at tdiclub.com under the turbo101 section.

If that isn't enough, PM me and I will send you some more links and photos. I did an Audi 2.5 V6 TDI using the info available on the web.

My key tip is this - be very methodical, take photos and notes during disassembly and wear gloves otherwise you hands wil be black for a month. Oh, and make sure the oil feed isn't gunged up when you re-fit. Good luck!