PDA

View Full Version : A quietly noisy V5 GOLF (MK4, T-Reg)

Halfsizer
02-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi Everyone, I hope someone may be able to offer me some advice, My car has developed a high pitched, rattly, noisy (but quite quiet) sound which seems to come from behind the front, drivers side (near side?) wheel.

this noise is only noticable to me when the car is at standstill, idling away or when im going slow, say slow enough to reverse into a parking space.

the nosie is a chattery, almost ceramic whistle type of chattering.

its hard to explain, i took it to one VW independent here, who had trouble hearing it, but it dissapeared whn he poured water into my engine bay towards where it was coming from. - although he doesnt want to work on it as he admitted it would also be a learning curve for him to sort the problem !

can anyone offer advice to what this may be?

either here or by email?

thank you

i know i can take it to VW themselves but when they charge £70 per hour, and considering the amount of debt ive got just now (as well as just buying my first house, then you will know why id like some advice first)

vw have quoted my £1,600 to fix it, (which i cant afford) but im not sure they thought the noise theyheard was the noise i was reffering too (a problem stemming from me taliking only to the service manager and not the mechanic!) - they said it was a worn cam chain tensioner that was 'knocking' - it doesnt sound like knocking to me.. its 'chattery'

so after all this waffle, please does anyone have any experience of this or any usefull advice?

stuart
02-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi

It's not the power steering pump, alternator or the AC pump making the noise is it? If you can see the pulley try spraying some WD40 on the pulley/belts and see if it disappears. If the noise went away when he poured water on it, it sound like somthing running "dry", such as a bearing or the belt.

Stuart

Halfsizer
02-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi Stuart, thanks for that, yes it looks like a belt, im not sure what it is exactly, but its definately visible when the wheel is on full lock to the right, and the noise eminates from this side. i think its is the belt, so if i spray wd40 on it, i can imagine it will go away, now if i do that am i putting something off that really needs repaired somehow do you think?

thanks so much for the help stuart

Dave
(from yorkshire too originaly, now in edinburgh)