PDA

View Full Version : Question Is this cheap?

m3gt2
20-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi, just wondered if you think this is cheap: '05 05 A4 Avant 2.0FSI S-Line Quattro Auto. Its metalic black with full cream leather FASH 62K but has been in a low spped accident (into a gate!) in the bad weather. It has damage to the rear quater panel, front wing, bonnet, front bumper and needs a grill. The insurance have written it off as cat c even though it is still drivable and drives as it did. It is a friends car and he asked me if I want to buy the salvage for £2k, I think that £1k will get it back as it should be. Im interested as I know the history and he has had not problems in all the time he has had the car. Im aware it will be worth less than a non-cat c car but how much less do you think? Thanks

darich
20-12-2010, 10:13 PM
If the damage is as you say to 4 panels and needs a grill then I think you're looking at significantly more than 1k for a good repair.
I'd have thought 2-3k would be closer to the mark.

Another guide is if the insurance have written it off with as you suspect £1k of damage that puts the value of the car at around £1.5k, roughly speaking.
Having just looked at AutoTrader (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/audi/a4/postcode/ml119ss/radius/1501/sort/priceasc/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/fuel-type/petrol/body-type/estate/transmission/automatic) the car typically sells for 7K and more.

That would also indicate to me that the damage is significantly more than 1k....and possibly even more than my 2-3k estimate

phil miller
20-12-2010, 10:17 PM
id agree with the above statement to a point, if your friend wants 2 grand for the car and it can be repaired for a grand, why doesnt he do that and then sell it for 4 grand? makes no sence TBH

m3gt2
20-12-2010, 10:50 PM
But dont insurance repairs need to be done with new, genuine parts? I know a really good repairer and could use non genuine or used parts. The reason he wont do it himself is time to sort it, he has more money than sense (that was just a cheapie for him to run the dog about :confused:, wish I was in the same situation!). Appreciate the input though, will have to think about it some more!

phil miller
20-12-2010, 11:02 PM
But dont insurance repairs need to be done with new, genuine parts? I know a really good repairer and could use non genuine or used parts. The reason he wont do it himself is time to sort it, he has more money than sense (that was just a cheapie for him to run the dog about :confused:, wish I was in the same situation!). Appreciate the input though, will have to think about it some more!

yes an insurance company use genuine full price parts, you could use pattern parts and most bodyshops do, how well do you know him? if you no him well would he let you have the car checked by a bodyshop so they can give you a qoute as to how much it would cost to repair, that way you will have a figure to help work out if its worth you buying it or not, if it will only set you back 3 grand to have it on the road repaired then it sounds a very good deal

m3gt2
20-12-2010, 11:11 PM
yes an insurance company use genuine full price parts, you could use pattern parts and most bodyshops do, how well do you know him? if you no him well would he let you have the car checked by a bodyshop so they can give you a qoute as to how much it would cost to repair, that way you will have a figure to help work out if its worth you buying it or not, if it will only set you back 3 grand to have it on the road repaired then it sounds a very good deal

I know him very well, and the car, hence why I am interested. Unfortunately it is in a secure compound in Watford, which is a bit to far to travel! He has asked the insurance to email photos and the assessors report but he told me it still drives as it should and as the accident was sideways into a wooden gate at between 10-15mph he thinks (he was going down a slight hill in the snow hence going really slow) I cant see it being much more when the car is stripped down, even if I had to spend £2k on repairs I think it would still be cheap, what do you think? Thanks

darich
20-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Based on typical cars selling for 7k and more, and that the insurance has written it off, I'd be inclined to think repairs would be in the order of several thousand.

But that's if you don't know anyone on the trade and paint work done professionally.
If you know people who can do it cheaper then you may be onto a good thing, otherwise I doubt it would be worth buying because even if it's cheaper after repairs, it'll never be worth the 7k again because it's been written off by insurance and will be recorded as such. That makes it harder to sell and therefore cheaper.