PDA

View Full Version : Steels or alloys for Winter Tyre set up

potshot
20-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Everyone talks of using steels for a spare set for winter tyres.

Is this just because a new set of steels is still cheaper than a set of used alloys?

Is there a genuine advantage to using steels with winter tryes?

Is it because steels are easier to refurb than alloys?

Bratty
20-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Steel wheels are cheaper (in most cases!) and are in the nature of the material more robust. They are used as winter wheels because they are considered IMHO expendable, they can take a knock or two and you can fit chains if you are going ski-ing.

You have to look at the pro´s and con´s, when deciding. If you are the type that puts looks over practicality then they will not be your "Bag!!".

Dunk

potshot
20-12-2010, 03:43 PM
You have to look at the pro´s and con´s, when deciding. If you are the type that puts looks over practicality then they will not be your "Bag!!".

Dunk

Not me Dunk.....:biglaugh:

It was just there would appear to be a lot more used alloys available than steels and I wanted to know what the downsides were, if any, to using a cheap tatty set of alloys as against getting steels for the job. Used 16" steels seem in short supply and new ones cost around £50 each ie £200 a set whereas you can pick up suitable alloys at £50 to £75 a set. I didn't wnat to rush in if it was the wrong thing to do....

Frelon
20-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Steelies every time!!

My precious alloys are tucked up in my garage having been well cleaned and polished when I exchanged them in November with my steelies with winter tyres.

Don't buy steel wheels or winter tyres whenever there is a high demand, like at present!! You find that the prices go up very quickly.

Wait until nobody wants them. Just like buying an umbrella, they are cheaper when the sun is shining:D

guesthouse
21-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Depends if you have storage space for your alloys. As for looks, a cheap set of trims from the internet will cover them up if you want.

My alloys are originals and judging by the rate the fronts go soft they need refurbed, so I went for 4 2nd hand steels (3 of which are definitely unused spares) and I can get the alloys refurbed at my leisure. You might buy a 2nd hand set of alloys only to find they're in need of some TLC - at that point it's throwing good money after bad.

OSB
22-12-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm running a set of steels with the same part number as my spare and narrower/taller profile Goodyears, the other night I hit a piece of tree branch concealed on the snow, had that been a rock and I was on alloys I could be looking at expensive/irreparable damage, at least a steel can be hammered out unless really buckled.

If I were to run alloys, I would probably refinish them in black as they would no doubt be filthy all the time.

iancalderbank
23-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Please excuse a non-petrol head for any ignorance in this my first posting and its length.

I have A6 avant 2.7tdi 2007 . summer tyres, exact same spec as factory, are bridgestone re050 225/50/17 98Y XL. I am now finally trying to sort some winter tyres after a bump (wife, slow speed skid on ice into lampost) :Blush2:. I have never changed a set of wheels ever only ever tyre replacement due to wear/and tear so I am not up on the tech speak nor how the aftermarket wheel market works.

trying to figure it out :
Audi dealer #1 (milton keynes) says "winter tyres are illegal in the UK" :aargh4:
audi dealer #2 (bedford) after MUCH pestering finally says I can have a set for 1200 quid in 6 weeks (far too slow), packaged with 17" alloy wheels exactly the same as on the car now. If they had them in stock I would be much tempted to go in and handover the readies. however with the delay it makes sense to do some looking around. and I am not really bothered about new alloys.

mytyres.co.uk, quotes me for a set of 16" steel wheels with tyres for way less money, based on me putting my car (a6 avant tdi 132kw) to their quote engine at mytyres.co.uk. They vary from ridiculously cheap (and probably nasty) to entirely reasonable for highly rated brands much cheaper than audi dealer...

I'd like at least an option that compares to what audi can get for me (Eventually!) based on the same size - I presume that's an advantage so that your insurers won't say you changed anything significant? I have tried contacting mytyres but got nowhere, just getting dumb answers on email and failure to answer on phone.

I don't even know how to figure out will the 16" wheel proposed by mytyres fit and be safe/legal on my car. the audi dealers wouldn't give me any official answer. I'd be happy to buy 17 if necessary.

I have also heard that another way would be to buy just the tyres, put them on some 2nd hand wheels but never having bought a set of wheel I've no idea what to look for. I have tried ebay browsing and googling based on the obvious criteria but all I can match is expensive flash new alloys which I clearly don't want!

thanks for any help or recommendations. if there's some uk supplier who I can speak to who will just "tell me what I need and sell it to me" I'd be happy to be recommended someone....

Ian

OSB
23-12-2010, 01:08 AM
The mytyres option will be fine, the smaller rim size and larger aspect ratio of the tyres will give approximately the same rolling radius as the original wheel/tyre combo.

As for your insurance, you'll have to speak to them.

Other options include sourcing a set of wheels from ebay, breakers, or similar, and tyres, either through the internet, or at a local supplier.

Or you could just fit a set of winter tyres to your current wheels and store the current tyres until spring for re-fitment.

Frelon
23-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Ian

If you can, sit on your hands at present, and do nothing- except plan for next year!!

You need to research your wheel specifications. Have a look at a lower spec of your model car to see if it is offered with steel wheels. Go to your friendly Audi garage and ask for the manufacturer part number. In the ideal world this is the exact information you will need, but also you should know wheel diameter (17" in your case, but 16" will be easier to find and probably fitted on lower spec cars), then you need to know PCD (pitch circle diameter) and number of studs (Google Pitch Circle Diameter). You should also know the Offset. With this information you can start looking on eBay or searching your local breakers yards. BUT, be careful make sure the wheels you buy are the exact ones you are looking for, otherwise you will have to put them back on eBay!!

Winter tyres (at a good price) are impossible to source at present. Everybody is trying to buy them and prices have rocketed - it is called "Supply and Demand"!!

Wait until mid to late summer and buy your tyres then.

You will then be ready for next winter. You just have to hope that you still have your Audi and that the winter snow/ice is severe enough for your new winter wheel/tyre combination.

I did this last year, and yes, I have my winter tyres on!!

I am the one with the silly grin when driving my Golf Plus in icy/snowy conditions :D :D :D

iancalderbank
23-12-2010, 06:15 PM
thanks to both the previous. I understand the rolling radius being the same (even found a calculator for it) but not sure if the 16's could fit otherwise (i.e. physically). manged to speach to a tech at the audi dealer said that car never comes with 16's and he couldn't be sure there'd be room between the caliper and the wheel inside, and to beware of incorrect ET's, bolt sizes, hole spacings, etc etc. he did tell me I could get the P/N or at least the detailed spec off the spare (haven't checked yet).

also, mytyres doesn't let me tweak the "with wheels" spec properly, its infuriating. without wheels I could get 225/50 R17 98V XL (same as my current size), or 225/55 R16 99V XL (new size), with loads of options from dunlop/conti to asian cheapy. with wheels the max it will give me is 225/55 R16 99H. so it makes me lose the XL (I assume this is not a good thing) and reduced speed rating. OK so I don't intend going like a rocket - but the current ones on the car are a Y, so it it sensible to go all the way down to H?

I understand that this isn't the ideal time to be buying them, local suppliers are totally lacking in winter tyres, seems they are not doing them yet (or they all sold out). not that keen on using my current wheels, although it might be the quickest option, because of having the hassle of going to a fitter each time for changeover etc.

I'm not really into doing the breakers yard / ebay thing, I would quite happily buy a new set of BASIC wheels (either steel or cheap/2nd hand alloy) with tyres from a uk supplier who could warrant that they were correct for the car.

cheers
Ian

Frelon
26-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Here in France (and I am sure in Germany too) the dealers (VW/Audi) offer a service whereby they store your winter wheels during the summer and fit them in place of your summer wheels early each winter. They then store the wheels over the winter period ready for change over in the spring.

Simples!!

OSB
26-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I think BMW dealers here are running a winter tyre service, unfortunately the UK isn't as geared up for winter as the rest of northern Europe. Though Kwik Fit are also running a 'tyre hotel' service http://www.kwik-fit.com/winter-tyres-faq.asp (http://www.kwik-fit.com/winter-tyres-faq.asp)

Fortunately, the built in 'bin cupboard' in my garage is just the right size for a set of stacked wheels, being just too small to accommodate wheelie bins, it was otherwise redundant!

dsgrnmcm
26-12-2010, 01:09 PM
How much does it cost at kwik fit?

Thing is do we really trust a bunch of fitters? my last two experiences at kwik fit have been v.good then v.dab.