PDA

View Full Version : 06 2.0T FSI nasty noise from front suspension/wheels

rottenfacia
20-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Hi, I have recently bought the above and have noticed a nasty mechanical grinding noise when pulling out of a car parking space or T junction or driveway ie from a stand still with steering lock on. The dealer said they have resolved the issue with two new front tyres. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case as the noise is still there. It's like the front wheels are being pushed forward without rotating and not in the direction they are pointing in which I cannot be possible as it's FWD. Any help greatly apprieciated. Many thanks.

bambamjj
20-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Not sure if its the same as mine but when pulling out of car parking space at work or anything with a tight lock i am getting a juddering noise/vibration from the wheel that is doing the widest arc or outside of the turn, everything is sound and solid but it is due 'I believe' because of the tyre size and the outer tyre (widest arc) fighting for grip due to the action of the Diff and the inner wheel taking all the grip etc. Used to get exactly the same with the landrovers i have had in the past and is very noticable when you put on aggressive tyres.

I have just put new tyres on mine and it has started then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry

I would say just get it into local work shop and get them just to give it a once over to check everything is nice and tight/secure.

Regards

skymaster
20-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I would expect this on a quattro... But not a 2wd. What tyres have they put on?

bambamjj
20-12-2010, 08:33 PM
On mine i have Eagle F1A, and still get it, in theory as the tyre wears and depth of tread reduces it is less likely to happen, (but not saying it wont) as it has less rubber so is less likely to vibrate/judder, when i had tyres down to less than 3mm it did not appear to be so apparent as the depth of tread was not so high and did not try and flex so much as say a tread depth of 10mm. Hope that makes sense.

Whether it is quattro or not it wil still happen on wheels that are both driven and steerable. The Ackerman engineering principle is not used on modern vehicles but the effect is still the same, manufactureres just account for it in the way the suspension geometry is set, which is why on vehicles with full lock on the wheels never align and the outer may appear to be sightly bent/canted over. A 4 wheel drive vehicle is less like to do this as the rear is also pushing the front so the outer front tyre is not having to fight for so much grip

I only know this from past experience of building off roaders and using various steering setups from different donor vehicles. im not familiar with how the Quattro drive train is managed so i may be wrong. If i am apologies, this is just my understanding but im not an expert on these new fangled machines :biglaugh:.

I got mine checked by local MOT station, who did the check for free and just backed up what i was saying. Get it checked for peace of mind. I should think that depending on what tyre tread pattern you put on it could be reduced.

Regards

Jon

rottenfacia
21-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Thank you for the replies. They put new Michelins (PS2s I think.) I noticed with the original tryres and the new ones. It's quite an alarming noise and the vibration is felt through the steering and floor. From my point of view it's too violent and noisy for what are very gentle pull aways.
I cannot get it booked into be checked before the 4th of Jan. The dealership I bought it from have requested I don't drive it till then.

skymaster
21-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Did you buy this from an actual audi dealers? Or an independent ?

rottenfacia
21-12-2010, 06:47 AM
From a "proper" Audi dealer - it's a fair distance from where I live so taking it back there is inconvenient. If it goes in locally to get looked at it's far less disruptive.