PDA

View Full Version : Charging Light

kite
19-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Just popped out to drop my daughter off at hers and the bloody charging light has come on.
Had a look under the bonnet, no belts off phew....
Waiting for Brittannia Rescue to come and look at it.
Hope it not too serious, had a new battery 3 weeks ago....

phil miller
19-12-2010, 06:12 PM
could very well be the Alturnator mate, why was the battery replaced?

kite
19-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Battery was 7years old and getting tired, I shouls have changed it last year but just kept putting it off. I knew It wouldn't last another winter, never had a charging problem, I suppose it could be the regulator, just see what the recovery man says and scan it for faults when I get home....
If I don't get to work toninghtLHR could well remain CLOSED.............

phil miller
19-12-2010, 06:28 PM
it is poss that if your old battery was on its last legs the Alt was having to work hard to charge the battery and now its just given up, or it could even be a broken wire in the plug near the battery ive had that before mate

kite
19-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Cheers, I'll let the recovery man know...

phil miller
19-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Cheers, I'll let the recovery man know...

post up how you get on mate :beerchug:

kite
19-12-2010, 06:41 PM
will do..

kite
19-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Looks like the alternator, charge rate is down to 12V

phil miller
19-12-2010, 08:53 PM
before condeming the alt just check the output on the back of it as it could be a broken wire in that plug i said about, what you do is use the voltmeter as you would on the battery but instead put the black wire to earth and the red to the small wire on the back of the alt if you have the same as you did at the battery then its the Alt if you have 14 v then its a broken wire

kite
19-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I'll give it a try thanks..

kite
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Just to close the thread.
Alternator replaced, bloody expensive 150amp output.
A big up to adamss24 for the great job on replacing

nickeym1
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi mate glad you got your problem sorted but id like to ask you a question regarding the battery replacement. I had to get mine replaced a few weeks ago also. Soon as the cold weather came in it couldnt take it anymore so i dropped it in to my local advance centre and the replaced the battery. Problem now is the airbag light is on and any warning text that comes up in the dash is in german. Did you have any of these problems after you got the new battery

VAGMAN54
02-01-2011, 05:42 PM
if you have a multi function display you should have language selection in there as for the airbag it needs to go on diag machine to be turned out..........

kite
02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
no problems with my battery change.
You need the airbag light reset and the dash recoded with VCDS.
Look in the vagcom section for a member in your area.

nickeym1
02-01-2011, 06:20 PM
if you have a multi function display you should have language selection in there as for the airbag it needs to go on diag machine to be turned out..........
Cheers mate ill have a look but i dont think theres anything regarding language selection in there only stuff regarding mpg and things like that

nickeym1
02-01-2011, 06:22 PM
no problems with my battery change.
You need the airbag light reset and the dash recoded with VCDS.
Look in the vagcom section for a member in your area.
Cheers mate im wondering why you didnt have these problems maby i should just bring the car back to where i got it done and they should have the equipment there to get it sorted and maby even they should have done it but didnt. Where did you get your battery changed

phil miller
02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
glad its all sorted mate

kite
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Cheers mate im wondering why you didnt have these problems maby i should just bring the car back to where i got it done and they should have the equipment there to get it sorted and maby even they should have done it but didnt. Where did you get your battery changed
I changed my own battery.

nickeym1
03-01-2011, 03:08 AM
I changed my own battery.
Now im even more confused