PDA

View Full Version : Question Frozen door locks

djmx5
19-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.

Having opened both driver and passenger doors this morning, I cannot now shut them, they will not latch. Have tried WD40 on the lock and latch to no avail. It was -10 here last night. I have left the car sitting in the sunshine hoping it will thaw.

Any ideas?

Cheers
D

patchysteve
19-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a 2001 audi allroad and have exactly the same problem. I have also tried WD40 and Lithium grease spray and it still only stays shut once car has been running for at least 15 minutes.

I think there must be water in the mechanism inside door which must freeze in cold temperatures and I now think the only way to fix the problem is to remove interior panelling and use maybe the same high/low temperature grease (lithium) on the moving parts.

I will attempt this when weather gets warmer and post what happens.

snapdragon
19-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, it isn't the keyhole lock, as I removed this years ago and it is sealed anyway.
I found pouring warm water on the door helps, but obviously makes it worse later be getting more water in the works again.

I allegedly had to hold the door while driving twice as it wouldn't stay shut.

If you open the door and look near the latch there is a black plastic cap, if you prise this off and use a spray with a straw, you can get it all over the mechanism. You may need to heat the plastic cap if it is very cold with a cigar lighter or it may shatter.

If you can get some silicone spray or the cheap furniture polish (which is silicone and solvent), you can rub this lightly over the door seals with a cloth. this helps if the doors keep freezing shut.

yaman
20-12-2010, 02:11 AM
I use warm cooking oil, in an empty tuna-tin, and dab it around
the lock mechanism, with a 1/4 inch paintbrush.

Regards
Jim

djmx5
20-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks to all who replied.

I remember reading a post on this forum regarding the door locking issue and a spray was mentioned as an alternative to WD40, however I can't recall the name of this product. The silicone spray remedy sounds promising though.

Cheers
D

snapdragon
20-12-2010, 10:30 AM
The silicone spray remedy sounds promising though.
D

Well mine did it again this morning so damn the silicone.
Will try that dry white waterproof grease next, but need it to be dry before I spray.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Grease-PTFE-400ml-Aerosol-/130428152893

patchysteve
20-12-2010, 03:20 PM
It's that cold now that mine doesn't even shut when car has warmed up. The warm water works to a point but this surely must have long term effects.

To make matters worse by boot now will not open at all and I have had a fan heater inside car for 1 hour.

Even the snow has all melted on car but boot still won't budge.

Audi's are supposed to be a top car arn't they ?

Snapdragon, let me know how you go with that please, steve

Sam
20-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Tie a bungee from the passenger internal door handle to driver's handle - problem solved!

Mine are covered in the white grease linked above and I've yet to experience frozen locks.