PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Alhambra heater problem

cwdprice
19-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Can some one help! my heater on my 2001 Alhambra1.9 tdi 115 se seams to be playing up i have Just got the AUX heter working what happens now is the heater blows out hot air when it has been running for about 10 min then when i drive it on the motorway the temp gage stays at 90 degrese but the heter blows out stone cold air but when i am tatering (stop starting and traviling at about 30 mph )around and the temp gage is under 90 degrese the heater works fine plenty of hot air but as soon as the temp gage hits 90 degrese the heater starts blowing out cold air again i have also put new brushes in the motor on the electric water pump under the bonet

A4 Lad
19-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I would hazzard a guess at the empellor on the back of the water pump. New water pump required possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and loving every minute of it !!!!

cwdprice
19-12-2010, 12:04 PM
the previus owner told me that he replaced the water pump for a new one with metal empellers because i have herd they have a tendency of breaking the plastic empellers i have also noticed the fuel consumption is a lot lower when this happens when the heater is working fine the desplay says that it is doing 42mpg and when the temp gage is up to 90 deg the desplay says it is doing 27mpg could this be linked

A4 Lad
19-12-2010, 12:21 PM
mmm, not sure how unless someone else has any input in it. If its not water pump, it might be a stat, blocked radiator although not very common on your vehicle

kenney
19-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Take the vehicle for a hard run and check the pressure on the top coolant hose,if you are sure the coolant pump is ok,a minor leak from the head gasket,will stop the coolant circulating to the matrix,and depending on the ambient temperature,not necessarily,cause the engine to overheat,although through time as the leakage increases,the engine will eventually overheat

cwdprice
19-12-2010, 09:05 PM
its had the head gaskit done last yr and yes there is prusure on the top hose and it dose not seam to loose any water but there are some black bits in the water like carbon i dont think it is oli as there is no white slimecould there be blockedge some where or could it be the stat not leting the water through or the temp sender playing up

kenney
19-12-2010, 11:11 PM
If the hose is stone hard then i think the gasket is leaking and from what you stated( but there are some black bits in the water like carbon)that does not sound good

A4 Lad
19-12-2010, 11:17 PM
its had the head gaskit done last yr

Eww ! You should have sold it right there and then. Problem child !!! Why did it get a gasket ?

cwdprice
19-12-2010, 11:39 PM
it had a gaskit and head skiming just after i brought it the header tank kept presurising and it over heated under prusure that was just over 12 months ago culd the black bits be from crap in the rad or in the system

kenney
20-12-2010, 12:16 AM
There is realy only one way to source the problem,and that is to replace the themostat then cross your fingers and legs

A4 Lad
20-12-2010, 10:57 AM
There is realy only one way to source the problem,and that is to replace the themostat then cross your fingers and legs

Either that or remove it snd sell the car on

cwdprice
20-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks i just hope there is a stat in there. if not the car deler have bodged the head gasket and dune me over

kenney
20-12-2010, 11:21 PM
If there had been no thermostat there,then the TDI engine would never reach a temp of 90degrees

gb02dcb
11-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Alhambra 2002, 115 TDI, 140k miles
Similar/identical problem
It loses coolant on fast runs, but not a big problem YET.
Doesn't heat cabin.

but I'm (reluctant/poor) to do a head gasket job

The Aux heater is working Ok - plugs changed 2 years ago.

Have so far
1) changed Thermostat
2) Changed (working) water pump
no success

Will post here if there is any progress