PDA

View Full Version : New Owner

DrAce
17-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Well after a few days of pestering you kind folks with various questions I am now the second owner of an A4 Allroad. Haven't done any distance yet - in theory it's perfect for the snow we've just had but alas it'll be dark by the time I finish work and I would prefer to have my first proper trip out in the daylight.

For those that are interested it does indeed have bluetooth... in fact it seems to have the full bluetooth preparation and a SIM slot (haven't tried using that yet) and works a treat with my Mozart.

It also has, and these came as a bit of a surprise as they weren't listed by Audi CS or the dealer: B&O sound, power tailgate and front parking sensors... on the other hand it lacks the electric front seats that Audi CS thought it had. I actually think I prefer the manuals as it means I also get tilt adjustment which missed on my last car.

Likes so far... well I haven't doen any miles so it's too early to say but I suspect I will very much like:

The 3.0 TDI couple with Quattro - years since I last drove an AWD
The toys... OMG the toys
The looks... once it's clean again that is. Ibis White is stunning but not, perhap, the best idea for someone who hates washing cars.
What I know I'll miss for a while from the Laguna:

Keyless entry - I've already forgotten to lock the Audi once in less than 6 hours of ownership
Heated front windscreen - although I have heard people say that the suplemental heater is quite good on cold morning's
Split screen Sat Nav - with so much power in the MMI it baffles me as to why Audi chose not to implement this
Oddest thing so far:

The pedal offset - I've sat in a few A4's and even had a short test drive in a manual so knew that it was there but even with the auto box it's still massive. Reading other posts I suspect I'll get used to it quickly enough though.
Now to make a VCDS shopping list and find a local guru who will work for beer
:beerchug:

Hope to stay active on the forum so see you around.

ScottyUK
17-12-2010, 07:57 PM
First thing I'd do with VCDS is enable the beep on locking particularly since you're not in the habit of locking up.

It's a really subtle single blip that confirms all the doors are shut properly and the alarms set. It will help you get in the habit.

p.s. Welcome :beerchug:

DrAce
17-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Beep lock, TPMS, dipping passenger mirror, needle sweep... The list grows :D Thanks Scotty

DrAce
18-12-2010, 08:00 PM
A quick journey to the pertrol station today to fill up and check conditions before heading off - conditions permitting - on a 250 mile round trip tomorrow.

Very impressed by the traction - plenty of 2WD sliding antics going on with steep hills and 3-4 inches of snow but the A4 kept going fine. That's despite the idiot that started to come down one hill after I'd started heading up - despite a detour to the virgin snowy side of the road to avoid him the Audi just kept on going.

Slightly concerned that I've got 500NM of torque waiting for me to get careless with the loud pedal but the traction control seemed to have everything nicely under control.

All of this is with wide summer tyres... with winter tyers these things must be awesome.

vwawudi
19-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Pics, pics, pics!

Please! :beerchug:

ScottyUK
19-12-2010, 07:38 PM
It's Ibis White and there's snow out there. You probably can't see it in any pics ;)

vwawudi
19-12-2010, 07:38 PM
It's Ibis White and there's snow out there. You probably can't see it in any pics ;)

:biglaugh: Too right!

DrAce
19-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Ok then, but when I said it looked good in white this wasn't what I had in mind:

http://ebbpyq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pz0tt4KigBwqQDbqFmhaQlFrtUlFdejjWaY0nX0uZi1s1TjG 3-wSyCMRC4-Ki6CVo4Vnf2bzKwrdHglg4k6lIF7yFr7xe9JdY/SAM_0450.JPG?psid=2

and a 230 mile trip to pick up mum for Christmas hasn't improved matters much:

http://ebbpyq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pEUp1MWbUsP8bRF22rK-fpw4hObks_tCn6wso8qjTo4b4PUrrd91p_GTV2phbPRsNbtfoF C2fMazk4YYpfQ8dwKEDrJf-yW92/SAM_0453.JPG?psid=2

vwawudi
19-12-2010, 09:37 PM
How can you tell it apart from an A4 Avant? With the B7 it was easier.

DrAce
19-12-2010, 10:27 PM
It doesn't show in those photos but the grill is slightly different, you have the metal under-guards visible front and rear and, of course, it sits about an inch and a half higher than a standard spec avant.

Was there a B7 Allroad?

ScottyUK
19-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I think the easiest way (apart from the height and stance)is to look at the roof rails ;)