PDA

View Full Version : WV Approved Winter Tyres?

anthony_d
16-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Evening all,

I've been checking my manual prior to getting new winter tyres fitted. The manual states that only "VW Approved Tyres should be fitted". But it doesn't state what VW approved tyres are. Are they particular brands (e.g. Michelin, Continental etc...), or just specifications matched to existing wheels (in my case 205/55/R16 91V)? I'm curious, as I'm thinking any tyres fitted that are "unapproved" could render my insurance void. Internet doesn't yield clues as to "VW approved Tyres". Currently I have Hankook Ventus tyres on the wheels.

I managed to track down a winter tyre supplier that actually has stock (rare as Hens teeth up in Aberdeenshire at the moment). Thet have Kleber Quadraxer tyres in stock. All weather tyres, but with triple peak snowmark. It's a recently released model, with almost no reviews, but I'm in a situation where I "get what I'm given". Will these be fine for the insurance firm? They are H instead of V rated.

Cheers

Anthony

Crasher
16-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Dunlop Winter Sport 3D
Goodyear Ultra Grip GW 3
Continental TS 810
Vredestein Snowtrac 2
Nokian WR
Dunlop Winter Sport 3D
Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance

DW58
16-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for that - all I need to do is find some wheels.

percymon
17-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I posted the VW winter programme brochure about September time - you probably have to look back a few pages to find it now.

There is a statement int here that says you can't fit their 15" alloy package to cars that left the factory with 16s. If you have a 2.0TDI, 1.6TDI, 1.6 105bhp petrol, 1.2TSI or a 1.4TSI 122bhp then you can fit 15" wheels with no clearance issues at the brake calipers. Mk5 and Mk6 steel wheels are the same. Whether you can find a used set now, other than at a breakers, is another thing.

If you fit winter tyres to your existing rims, then in theory you have not modified the car as the tyres size etc is the same, and UK MOT/law only dictates tread depth, general tyre condition and load/speed ratign suitable for the vehicle. H rating is more than enough for the UK speed limits. I have T rated on 195/65/15 tyres.

If you fit alternative wheels then you should inform the insurance company - some don't mind, others see it as an excuse to wack up your premium !

Kleber tyres aren't the best known in the UK, but you do see a lot of them in Europe, especially in areas which are wetter and colder.

Have you tried KwikFit for winter tyres, they did buy a lot of stock for this year, mainly to service fleet users, but they may have some alternatives for you.

percymon
17-12-2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=105358&highlight=programme

vc-10
17-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Re insurance, apparently most of it is due to the idiot in the call centre in Asia somewhere, and that if you speak to someone more senior (and in the UK...) then they will usually realise that you're effectively saving them money as you're less likely to crash if you've got winter tyres, and therefore not raise the premiums.

WeegieBob
17-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Re insurance, apparently most of it is due to the idiot in the call centre in Asia somewhere, and that if you speak to someone more senior (and in the UK...) then they will usually realise that you're effectively saving them money as you're less likely to crash if you've got winter tyres, and therefore not raise the premiums.

That makes sense - just about sums up how we're all getting shafted by either call centre staff who can't make a logical decision beyond what's written in front of them on a computer screen. Over the last five years far too many insurers have created a culture where they screw cash out of motorists regardless of how insignificant the alteration is, talk about milking the system.
Its about time the motoring organisations that supposedly represent us i.e. AA & RAC, stopped pu$$y-footing around and started standing up for all their members instead of continually being 'reasonable and understanding' with insurance companies. :aargh4:

PhilDon
17-12-2010, 08:28 PM

being an old fart, I'm insured with Saga (yes I know:o) so the "idiot in the call centre" in this case is in the UK
Actually that's a very unfair description - it's a rubbish job and mostly they're honest folk just trying to earn a living - the real idiots are the ones up the chain who think this is a great way to run a business
anyway Saga's view on the insurance issue was - "it's a modification from the original spec, and although we wouldn't necessarily increase the premium, we would increase the accidental damage excess "
- for making the car safer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when I spoke to our local dealer he asked (reasonably) so if the car was originally fitted with Contis, is it a modification if you replace them with Bridgestones?

Apparently the ABI have come out and said that their members should not penalise drivers who fit winter tyres, but I don't think the message is getting through fast enough

DW58
17-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Ha-ha ... ... I'm an old fart too, but I haven't got as far as Saga yet http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/Emoticons/oldgit.gif

WeegieBob
17-12-2010, 10:47 PM
What "amuses" me is the fact, although to be honest I haven't checked, is the winter tyre size I've fitted probably matches another Golf model tyre size that's fitted as standard.

And SAGA is good DW - I bet you didn't know you can start benefiting from the company when you reach 40 nowadays!

WeegieSagaBob. ;)

vc-10
17-12-2010, 11:04 PM
being an old fart, I'm insured with Saga (yes I know:o) so the "idiot in the call centre" in this case is in the UK
Actually that's a very unfair description - it's a s**t job and mostly they're honest folk just trying to earn a living - the real idiots are the ones up the chain who think this is a great way to run a business
anyway Saga's view on the insurance issue was - "it's a modification from the original spec, and although we wouldn't necessarily increase the premium, we would increase the accidental damage excess "
- for making the car safer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when I spoke to our local dealer he asked (reasonably) so if the car was originally fitted with Contis, is it a modification if you replace them with Bridgestones?

Apparently the ABI have come out and said that their members should not penalise drivers who fit winter tyres, but I don't think the message is getting through fast enough

Of course it's not all call centre employees- but there are a good number out there who are a bit 'computer says no' if you see what I mean. My Polo didn't come with central locking (in 2002 as well, a disgrace on VW's part IMO) and I had to speak to someone senior to prevent them putting the premium up when I fitted it. I don't have winter tyres (we never get much snow down in Bristol) but I've heard from others who have fitted them, and their experience has been the same as mine with the central locking. I do agree that the system is out to screw the customer though, especially the increasing premiums despite an increase in no claims that lots of people have had.:zx11:

DW58
17-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I must look into that Bob - 40 was a long time ago.

PhilDon
17-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Of course it's not all call centre employees- but there are a good number out there who are a bit 'computer says no' if you see what I mean. My Polo didn't come with central locking (in 2002 as well, a disgrace on VW's part IMO) and I had to speak to someone senior to prevent them putting the premium up when I fitted it. I don't have winter tyres (we never get much snow down in Bristol) but I've heard from others who have fitted them, and their experience has been the same as mine with the central locking. I do agree that the system is out to screw the customer though, especially the increasing premiums despite an increase in no claims that lots of people have had.:zx11:

wasn't having a pop VC10, was merely keeping myself in check !
I always try (despite the frustration) to try and not dump my fury on the poor sod on the end of the phone - most of them are only trying to earn a living - although I do agree that every now and again you come across someone who seems to have bought into it all a bit too much :beerchug:

anthony_d
18-12-2010, 11:13 AM
If you fit winter tyres to your existing rims, then in theory you have not modified the car as the tyres size etc is the same, and UK MOT/law only dictates tread depth, general tyre condition and load/speed ratign suitable for the vehicle. H rating is more than enough for the UK speed limits. I have T rated on 195/65/15 tyres.

If you fit alternative wheels then you should inform the insurance company - some don't mind, others see it as an excuse to wack up your premium !

Kleber tyres aren't the best known in the UK, but you do see a lot of them in Europe, especially in areas which are wetter and colder.

Have you tried KwikFit for winter tyres, they did buy a lot of stock for this year, mainly to service fleet users, but they may have some alternatives for you.

I've tried a whole heap of tyre fitters up be Aberdeenshire including quick fit and they're all out of stock, except my local garage. Those that have new stock coming in have larger waiting lists than the future stock.

I'm getting my Kleber tyres fitted right now. I found one comment on the internet that said the quadraxer tyres were found to be very good in snow. I'll soon find out myself! My driveway will be the acid test. If I can get up the incline of hard compacted snow, then they'll get a pass mark from me!

percymon
21-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Not wanting to add fuel to the insurance fire, but some companies take the view if you have winter tyres fitted you may be safer, but you're also more likely to go out in adverse weather, whereas if you had summer tyres still on you'd probably stay at home.

potshot
21-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Not wanting to add fuel to the insurance fire, but some companies take the view if you have winter tyres fitted you may be safer, but you're also more likely to go out in adverse weather, whereas if you had summer tyres still on you'd probably stay at home.

I suppose that also works if you are on your way back from your kids half term late October holiday in Cornwall and as you come back over the Pennines an unforecast heavy snow storms occurs. So you park up at the nearsest 5 star hotel and send the insurance company the bill as it is safer for you to say off the road then try to get home. I suppose also if you sell the car and don't drive at all then you won't have to pay any premiums - but then the inurance companies will go out of business. No that plan doesn't work either.

I though the law was an *** but it seems they are way behind insurance companies.........................

potshot
21-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I thought an a_s_s was related to a donkey not a part of the human anatomy - wonderful things these spell checkers.....

potshot
21-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I have got a feeling I read somewhere that the Kleber tyres were made by Michelin. But you should know that the Kleber tyres are All Season tyres and not Winter tyres - winter tyres have the mountain symbol with a snowflake

anthony_d
21-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I have got a feeling I read somewhere that the Kleber tyres were made by Michelin. But you should know that the Kleber tyres are All Season tyres and not Winter tyres - winter tyres have the mountain symbol with a snowflake

The Kleber Quadraxer is marketed as an all seaon tyre, but it also has the mountain snowflate symbol.

Have been driving my new tyres in a mix of conditions now. It's not bad. It handles snow covered steep gradients without much wheel spin, however lateral grip in snow conditions isn't so good. The dedicated winter tyres that my Norwegian colleage demonstrated to me however are far superior for braking. However I'm simply glad I don't have to struggle along any more with my summer tyres. It's an OK compromise.

percymon
21-12-2010, 03:45 PM
The Kleber Quadraxer is marketed as an all seaon tyre, but it also has the mountain snowflate symbol.

Have been driving my new tyres in a mix of conditions now. It's not bad. It handles snow covered steep gradients without much wheel spin, however lateral grip in snow conditions isn't so good. The dedicated winter tyres that my Norwegian colleage demonstrated to me however are far superior for braking. However I'm simply glad I don't have to struggle along any more with my summer tyres. It's an OK compromise.

You need to put about 500 miles on winter tyres to bed them in - lateral grip may improve slightly after that. In compacted and fresh snow they are awesome, but as it starts to break up and become a bit more slushy they are not invincible and you can aquaplane. Just don;t get too over confident in the tyres; drive to the prevailing conditions.