PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 1.9 TDI (110) Oil leak and Possible boost leak?

officialuk
16-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi guys,

Haven't posted before as I'm a Vauxhall guy normally .. shouldn't admit this but there we go. lol. I've had my Audi a4 for over a year now and clocked up nearly 60K with no problems. Its on 220k at the moment and still performs fine. Recently I've noticed a couple of oil patches on the drive and it has started to make what I can only describe as a boost leak noise or an over exaggerated dump valve when accelerating. I serviced the car the other day and traced the oil leak (vaguely) to above the oil filter housing. I've checked all the inter-cooler hoses and everything seems as it should. Was just wondering whether anyone else has had a similar problem or knows how to solve it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

mystic.bertie
26-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi guys,

Haven't posted before as I'm a Vauxhall guy normally .. shouldn't admit this but there we go. lol. I've had my Audi a4 for over a year now and clocked up nearly 60K with no problems. Its on 220k at the moment and still performs fine. Recently I've noticed a couple of oil patches on the drive and it has started to make what I can only describe as a boost leak noise or an over exaggerated dump valve when accelerating. I serviced the car the other day and traced the oil leak (vaguely) to above the oil filter housing. I've checked all the inter-cooler hoses and everything seems as it should. Was just wondering whether anyone else has had a similar problem or knows how to solve it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

hey there did you get a fix for this i have just got an a4 tdi with the same problem.

cheers
rab

hibbsy21
27-01-2011, 03:05 AM
It could be a few things. When was the last time you cleaned your intercooler? Do you get drips from your egr valve? The intercooler collects oil over the years, mine has 222k on it at the moment an i have the same thing. But you could find that its not an oil leak as such but the intercooler pipes dripping as well.

mystic.bertie
27-01-2011, 10:23 AM
It could be a few things. When was the last time you cleaned your intercooler? Do you get drips from your egr valve? The intercooler collects oil over the years, mine has 222k on it at the moment an i have the same thing. But you could find that its not an oil leak as such but the intercooler pipes dripping as well.

hi thanks for the reply, thats strange you say that as its not leaking today, i just bought the car yesterday and i knocked some money off thinking it was an oil leak.

where is the intercooler and whats involved in cleaning it also where is the egr and should i block this off? Do they just leak for a bit and then stop?

cheers

officialuk
27-01-2011, 11:45 AM
hey there did you get a fix for this i have just got an a4 tdi with the same problem.

cheers
rab

No I haven't sorted this yet. I don't think it's the intercooler clogged up due to the fact that I have to keep topping up the oil every 500 miles! lol. It's going into the garage on Saturday for a pre MOT inspection. So hopefully with ramps we can determine the source of the problem. Will keep you updated.

hibbsy21
27-01-2011, 05:03 PM
hi thanks for the reply, thats strange you say that as its not leaking today, i just bought the car yesterday and i knocked some money off thinking it was an oil leak.

where is the intercooler and whats involved in cleaning it also where is the egr and should i block this off? Do they just leak for a bit and then stop?

cheers

Yea it would be a good idea to get the egr blocked off, all it does is puts exhaust gases back into the intake manifold and clogs it up. If its a high mileage engine try to take the intake manifold off to clean it up inside as u will find the bore of the pipes are clogged up and actually alot smaller than they should be. Therefore making it harder to suck in air. You will need two blanking plates, one for the bottom part that is on the exhaust manifold and the other that is on the intake right at the top.

As for cleaning the intercooler, it is hidden down the left wheel arch (so on the right as you look at the engine) you will be able to see some pipes go down to it any way. So you need to undo the jubilee clips and pull the pipes off. You'll need a good degreeser and a hose pipe. The pipes are easy to clean, the intercooler requires more time. Best to set aside a whole weekend for it. Cover one of the holes on it and fill it with the degreesing stuff, and i mean go nuts with it just fill it till its pouring out the top. Leave it for a while an then you'll need to empty an rinse it out. Then drain it and put it some where hot on a radiator or something, just remember to cover the carpet under first.....or you'll get black spots and the misses will kill you....

Or if you dont want to clean it, get on fleebay and find yourself a nice front mount intercooler an some nice stainless steel pipes to go with it. It will be about 130-150quid for both. Strangely enough the pipes are actually more expensive than the intercooler itself.

Hope that helps.

mystic.bertie
27-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Yea it would be a good idea to get the egr blocked off, all it does is puts exhaust gases back into the intake manifold and clogs it up. If its a high mileage engine try to take the intake manifold off to clean it up inside as u will find the bore of the pipes are clogged up and actually alot smaller than they should be. Therefore making it harder to suck in air. You will need two blanking plates, one for the bottom part that is on the exhaust manifold and the other that is on the intake right at the top.

As for cleaning the intercooler, it is hidden down the left wheel arch (so on the right as you look at the engine) you will be able to see some pipes go down to it any way. So you need to undo the jubilee clips and pull the pipes off. You'll need a good degreeser and a hose pipe. The pipes are easy to clean, the intercooler requires more time. Best to set aside a whole weekend for it. Cover one of the holes on it and fill it with the degreesing stuff, and i mean go nuts with it just fill it till its pouring out the top. Leave it for a while an then you'll need to empty an rinse it out. Then drain it and put it some where hot on a radiator or something, just remember to cover the carpet under first.....or you'll get black spots and the misses will kill you....

Or if you dont want to clean it, get on fleebay and find yourself a nice front mount intercooler an some nice stainless steel pipes to go with it. It will be about 130-150quid for both. Strangely enough the pipes are actually more expensive than the intercooler itself.

Hope that helps.

cant the egr be disabled by blocking off the vaccum hose, if not what do folk use to blank it off?

yeah it is a high mileage engine, its done 155k, ill plan one weekend to remove the intake manifold and the intercooler and clean them out. i cant afford to buy the stuff off ebay lol, im not working and a single parent so funds are a bit low lol.

i got the oil filter off today and the oilcooler was loose so i reckon thats where the leak has been, so i took the oil cooler off and cleaned it, the rubber seal was a bit flat so i fitted it again using rtv silicone, fitted a new oil filter, ill add the oil tomorrow once the rtv has cured fully.

hibbsy21
28-01-2011, 02:59 AM
cant the egr be disabled by blocking off the vaccum hose, if not what do folk use to blank it off?

yeah it is a high mileage engine, its done 155k, ill plan one weekend to remove the intake manifold and the intercooler and clean them out. i cant afford to buy the stuff off ebay lol, im not working and a single parent so funds are a bit low lol.

i got the oil filter off today and the oilcooler was loose so i reckon thats where the leak has been, so i took the oil cooler off and cleaned it, the rubber seal was a bit flat so i fitted it again using rtv silicone, fitted a new oil filter, ill add the oil tomorrow once the rtv has cured fully.

Not really because you need to blank off the top and bottom in order to stop the exhaust gases recirculating. You can get them on ebay for a couple of quid or you could go to a garage an get some made up.

Intake manifold will cause you pain and suffering... its very hard to get access to the bolts on the manifold. :zx11: Might be a good idea to get a pressure washer on it (after you've got it off, lol) Old toothbrush and something to scrape all the **** out of it.

Yeah funds are low on this end too, so i havent got a front mount yet, slowly saving a few quid each week tho.

mystic.bertie
28-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Not really because you need to blank off the top and bottom in order to stop the exhaust gases recirculating. You can get them on ebay for a couple of quid or you could go to a garage an get some made up.

Intake manifold will cause you pain and suffering... its very hard to get access to the bolts on the manifold. :zx11: Might be a good idea to get a pressure washer on it (after you've got it off, lol) Old toothbrush and something to scrape all the **** out of it.

Yeah funds are low on this end too, so i havent got a front mount yet, slowly saving a few quid each week tho.

i might be able to make the blank plate if not i will buy one, seen one on ebay for £4.

i should manage the manifold, i did an a6 1.9 tdi cylinder head gasket 1 1/2 years ago so i know it can be done lol, ill give it a good clean out and i have a pressure washer too.

is there meant to be a huge advantage change the intercooler and pipes, what degreaser works when cleaning out the intercooler?

i added my oil today and i still have a leak, i spotted the culprit, its coming out of the actual oil sensor on the top of the oil filter bracket, i dont know if this is the oil temp or oil pressure sensor but the oil is running out the middle of it, i aint seen that before. :Blush:

hibbsy21
29-01-2011, 12:31 AM
i might be able to make the blank plate if not i will buy one, seen one on ebay for £4.

i should manage the manifold, i did an a6 1.9 tdi cylinder head gasket 1 1/2 years ago so i know it can be done lol, ill give it a good clean out and i have a pressure washer too.

is there meant to be a huge advantage change the intercooler and pipes, what degreaser works when cleaning out the intercooler?

i added my oil today and i still have a leak, i spotted the culprit, its coming out of the actual oil sensor on the top of the oil filter bracket, i dont know if this is the oil temp or oil pressure sensor but the oil is running out the middle of it, i aint seen that before. :Blush:

I havent got any scrap metal to make it up with so I'm goin to get an ebay one or might go back to where i got my decat made up to get them to do it.

Yeah i'll get mine off soon i gave up last time cos i was in a bit of a rush. But good luck and let me know when you get it off and any tips to make things go smoother would be great. lol

Well nothing huge without a remap to go with it. It jus means that your turbo will remain cooler an run more efficiently. And the charge will be cooler so a more lean burn. I need a remap desparately as 3rd is very flat after decat and it smokes in third alot under load. I want some bigger injectors before the remap tho lol

As for the degreaser i am not sure, you'll have to search around to find whats best.

I know it sounds like wasting money on an old car, but its just such a tank 222k and no major problems. I want to rebuild the engine completely and make it last even longer!

hibbsy21
29-01-2011, 12:41 AM
i just realised something.....we have hi-jacked this post....oops sorry officialuk

mystic.bertie
02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I havent got any scrap metal to make it up with so I'm goin to get an ebay one or might go back to where i got my decat made up to get them to do it.

Yeah i'll get mine off soon i gave up last time cos i was in a bit of a rush. But good luck and let me know when you get it off and any tips to make things go smoother would be great. lol

Well nothing huge without a remap to go with it. It jus means that your turbo will remain cooler an run more efficiently. And the charge will be cooler so a more lean burn. I need a remap desparately as 3rd is very flat after decat and it smokes in third alot under load. I want some bigger injectors before the remap tho lol

As for the degreaser i am not sure, you'll have to search around to find whats best.

I know it sounds like wasting money on an old car, but its just such a tank 222k and no major problems. I want to rebuild the engine completely and make it last even longer!

ha ha why are you wanting to rebuild the engine,i like spending money on my cars but a si dont work i have to watch my money, so i can only try and get it running as well as possible without spending big money.

i sorted my oil leak, i removed the oil sensor, cleaned it and blocked the bore in the middle of it with araldite and refitted it, thats it stopped the leak, i now need another sensor as now my oil light is on but at least its stopping my losing more oil than fuel lol.

yeah sorry to op for hijacking the thread hope he gets things fixed ;)