PDA

View Full Version : No water from rear washer

crankslave
15-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Hopefully an easy fault to sort on a 2002 TDI 130 sport estate.......famous last words

Basically, since the freezing weather no water is comming out of the rear washer jet. The pump sounds like it's working, the rear jet has been checked for blockages and it's clear. The pipe through the wiper barrel was replaced last year so hopefully it's not that again - I doubt it is as there isn't any washer fluid running out of the boot door trim and into the lock this time.

So are there any common places/faults I should look for first like maybe a pipe pushing off a connector due to ice and water pressure? There is a little water sitting on the plastic CD changer frame in the LH cubby in the boot, so is there anything around there which may have popped off, thought I'd check before I start ripping out trim.

Thanks

James

martin1810
15-12-2010, 04:25 PM
There is a connector in the corner that pops off. Have a look behind the trim where it is wet.

crankslave
15-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Cool, I guess that means pulling the trim off a bit and having a dig around to find it?

Daft question, but should the water pipe be black or clear colour and obviously a tube - just so I'm not following a power cable or something like that.

Thanks

snapdragon
15-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Cool, I guess that means pulling the trim off a bit and having a dig around to find it?

Daft question, but should the water pipe be black or clear colour and obviously a tube - just so I'm not following a power cable or something like that.

Thanks

On mine, It was the trim behind the passenger rear light area so just pulls away easily as though changing a lamp, there was a push fit pipe that had popped off. I glued it back on. It also made the boot wet in that corner under the trim.

vwturbo
15-12-2010, 07:18 PM
pull the trim off where the jack is and feel above and you should see it,mine came off and caused a mini pound in the corner below the lights

crankslave
15-12-2010, 11:50 PM
That's spot on, found the little blighter just tucked in above the rear light. Will get it glued together this weekend when I've got a bit more daylight!

Cheers all for your help.

:D

lpg boy
23-01-2011, 12:00 AM
thanks for the thread, mine did the same, but I only knew about popping off inside tailgate lid. was thinking of all sorts of nightmare scenarios having previously glued it together there and no leak found on inspection.
went into access panel from your advice and everything was saturated.
fumbled around from instructions given and problem solved!!!!!:D

makemineamythos
06-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi, I have the same issue and there is evidence of water in the jack compartment. Can anyone tell me if I need to remove screws to get the panel off, or does it 'pop' off?
If there are screws, where are they located?

pull the trim off where the jack is and feel above and you should see it,mine came off and caused a mini pound in the corner below the lights

Lastly, my rear wiper has also stopped working and it is not the fuse. If anyone has any thoughts on what this could be, I would be grateful to hear them.
Regards,
Russ

Toonmania
07-11-2012, 08:21 PM
the hose will have popped off this is common on these you can permanently fix it by buying around 6" of 4mm internal id pneumatic hose and get yourself 1 x 90 deg elbow & 1 x straight connector.
if you have trouble getting hold of this and enough people ask i can get these from work but i have to buy a whole coil of hose.
also your motor has quite possably leaked at some stage and rotted the motor, only way to tell is to take it off and open it up.
Best and cheapest option is to a good used unit off ebay or breakers (around £15 to £20) or a new one from ebay is around £55

makemineamythos
07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Toonmania, thanks for a really helpful post. I am trying to find a used unit but there isnt much about at the mo. I'm not desperate, but will keep at it.
Regards,
Russ

Toonmania
08-11-2012, 10:58 PM
think you will find there is loads on ebay, the mk4 golf, vw sharan, ford galaxy, seat alhambra, mk5 & mk6 polo, VW Lupo Seat Arosa, VW Polo Valeo rear wiper motor assembly | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Polo-Valeo-rear-wiper-motor-assembly-/251178428816?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7b66a990)

Just beware the fault you have is common so buying a used one you might get the same fault in a few months time.
buy a new one if you can but if not make sure you don't pay more than £25 for a used unit

just found this brand new VW SKODA FABIA ESTATE NEW GENUINE REAR WIPER MOTOR | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-SKODA-FABIA-ESTATE-NEW-GENUINE-REAR-WIPER-MOTOR-/230860211194?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c05743fa)

makemineamythos
08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Will the skoda one fit my 97 B5?

Thanks

think you will find there is loads on ebay, the mk4 golf, vw sharan, ford galaxy, seat alhambra, mk5 & mk6 polo, VW Lupo Seat Arosa, VW Polo Valeo rear wiper motor assembly | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Polo-Valeo-rear-wiper-motor-assembly-/251178428816?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7b66a990)

Just beware the fault you have is common so buying a used one you might get the same fault in a few months time.
buy a new one if you can but if not make sure you don't pay more than £25 for a used unit

just found this brand new VW SKODA FABIA ESTATE NEW GENUINE REAR WIPER MOTOR | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-SKODA-FABIA-ESTATE-NEW-GENUINE-REAR-WIPER-MOTOR-/230860211194?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c05743fa)

Toonmania
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Yeah skoda's are just vw parts bin cars rear wiper motor was used on lots of applications

KieranM
12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I actually have similar symptoms (no water from washer, moisture in rear n/s lens, pool in jack/tool area) however I have found the elbow and it's still connected) Could the leak be caused by a backup from a blocked washer?

Kieran

makemineamythos
12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Have you looked behind the panel in the boot?
Remove this and look in the area just below the centre of the bottom edge of the window. That is where I found that a connector piece joining 2 lengths of tube had become disconnected on 1 side, I just pushed it back on and hey presto... water at the washer!!!
HTH

I actually have similar symptoms (no water from washer, moisture in rear n/s lens, pool in jack/tool area) however I have found the elbow and it's still connected) Could the leak be caused by a backup from a blocked washer?

Kieran

KieranM
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Ah so I have to take the panel off which I described in the other post?

makemineamythos
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Oops... my bad! :Blush2:

Just tryin to share the wealth.
Russ

Ah so I have to take the panel off which I described in the other post?

KieranM
12-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I was just clarifying which bit to take off!

makemineamythos
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi Kieran, I misunderstood your post but think Im on it now.
The panel you need to remove is the one on the nearside of the luggage area (where the jack is housed)
I think there is only 1 screw, that can be found underneath the load securing eyelet.
After you have removed that screw just pull at the panel and pop it out of its fixings, the offending pipe connector can be found near the top of the panel at a point around the centre of the bottom edge of the window.
It does sound as though your problem is the same as mine, so I hope this clears it up for you.
Apologies for my confusion, its been a tough day with not enough mythos! :beerchug:

I was just clarifying which bit to take off!

Thon
13-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Had the same problem with my wiper motor. Managed to get it apart and unseized it but it only lasted a year as the seal on the shaft wasn't sealing properly (and I think the motor was pretty tired from wiping when partially seized). I struggled to find a replacement seal. Ended up replacing the motor / gearbox unit and wiper arm (had to saw off the original as it was seized to the splines on the spindle).
As I recall it was £35 for the motor and about 30 minutes to replace. There were lots of new genuine Bosch ones on ebay for this price as I recall.

makemineamythos
13-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi Thon, thanks for the post.
I think I am resigned to replacing the motor unit, although after reading your post I suppose there is a bit of hope that a bit of 'monkeying around' may free it up. I will give it a go at the weekend.
Russ

Had the same problem with my wiper motor. Managed to get it apart and unseized it but it only lasted a year as the seal on the shaft wasn't sealing properly (and I think the motor was pretty tired from wiping when partially seized). I struggled to find a replacement seal. Ended up replacing the motor / gearbox unit and wiper arm (had to saw off the original as it was seized to the splines on the spindle).
As I recall it was £35 for the motor and about 30 minutes to replace. There were lots of new genuine Bosch ones on ebay for this price as I recall.

KieranM
14-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks for clarifying I had a look, but I couldn't find the screw you were referring to, I unscrewed the load securing eyelets on that side (assuming you mean the 4 that are in the boot), but there were no screws underneath, did I misunderstand that then?

Thanks,

Kieran

Hi Kieran, I misunderstood your post but think Im on it now.
The panel you need to remove is the one on the nearside of the luggage area (where the jack is housed)
I think there is only 1 screw, that can be found underneath the load securing eyelet.
After you have removed that screw just pull at the panel and pop it out of its fixings, the offending pipe connector can be found near the top of the panel at a point around the centre of the bottom edge of the window.
It does sound as though your problem is the same as mine, so I hope this clears it up for you.
Apologies for my confusion, its been a tough day with not enough mythos! :beerchug:

Toonmania
14-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi Kieran,
If i read your posts correctly I think your problem might be in the boot itself, where the pipe attaches to the wiper motor it has a tendency to crack and leak, what makemineamythos was trying to describe was if you open the boot and on the left hand side is a panel where the jack & cd multiplayer is/was housed if you look in there you will see the back of the light unit and a black pipe the comes out from behind the plastic unit holding the jack there is a connector on this that comes apart just push it back together :biglaugh:
if anyone wants the stuff to do a permanent repair i will look to see if i can get some from work for you

makemineamythos
14-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Kieran, there was only 1 screw which needs taking out.
This is underneath the load securing eyelet on the very back of the nearside of the boot area.
When you ease the metal eyelet out, there is a screw that will enable you to remove most of the trim in that area.
Apologies if I am not making this clear, if you dont have any joy I will PM you my number and talk you through it.
Russ

Thanks for clarifying I had a look, but I couldn't find the screw you were referring to, I unscrewed the load securing eyelets on that side (assuming you mean the 4 that are in the boot), but there were no screws underneath, did I misunderstand that then?

Thanks,

Kieran

KieranM
14-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks again for the replies.

I get a puddle in my black plastic jack housing, and in my lights. I would have thought this would be caused by the elbow connector coming apart, but it is connected, so I guess there still could be a leak there, but in the hose rather than the connector. There's a good chance that it has come apart at the wiper motor too, but I haven't looked there yet!

Russ, I took both of the near side load securing eyelets out, and neither of them had a screw behind. Maybe there is a difference between the b5 and b5.5 here, I never checked on my old car so I dunno