PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A3 - No radio reception

jonnersp
14-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi. Sorry my first ever post is a plea for help but here goes......

I have a 2006 A3 2.0TDI Sportback Sline in which I have suddently lost all radio reception - both AM and FM. The CD player still works OK and it is a
standard head unit. The aerial appears to be integrated into the rear windscreen / demister. I have searched and found some people with similar issues on varying vehicles and the common theme seems to be the aerial amplifier or 'diversity controller? - not sure what that is!'. Before trying to buy another amplifier to swap over I just wanted to check if anyone had experienced a similar fault and could confirm if this was indeed likely to be successfull?

I have located the amplifier in the bottom left (passenger side) of the tailgate and have confirmed that all the connections look good - the amplifier model number is 8P4.035.225. I am not sure if this is the only amplifier as I have read there may also be one at the top of the tailgate too? Also the connections on the back of the head unit appear to be ok.

I had noticed the reception getting worse (especially AM) over the last few months but it was still ok before it suddenly went completely. Currently if the radio is turned off and left for a while you get short bursts of reception when turning back on which quickly degrade to nothing again. Sometimes there is even 30 secs or so of good reception before the same thing happens.

Any help or advice that may guide me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Foster
14-12-2010, 10:25 PM
The aerial is in the rear screen. If you have a problem at all with the heating element in the screen it will affect the reception. Have you noticed any deterioration in the efficiency of the rear screen heater ?

Unfortunately I think the only remedy is to replace the screen which isn't cheap ( unless you get a youth to fling a brick through it ! ) and you have a protected bonus !

I didn't really say that did I ???? :aargh4: