PDA

View Full Version : bad juddering form engine

jimbob
24-06-2007, 04:43 PM
HI I've got a golf gt tdi 13Obhp (O2reg) I'm getting juddering when I'm in fifth and sixth gear when putting my foot down on the accelerator it comes in about 6O mph have changed my engine mountain on the gear box but it's still getting the problem, it's done about 12Ok and it has a full service history and it's been getting worse over the past couple of month.

cheers......

Eshrules
24-06-2007, 07:00 PM
HI I've got a golf gt tdi 13Obhp (O2reg) I'm getting juddering when I'm in fifth and sixth gear when putting my foot down on the accelerator it comes in about 6O mph have changed my engine mountain on the gear box but it's still getting the problem, it's done about 12Ok and it has a full service history and it's been getting worse over the past couple of month.

cheers......

when was the timing belt/tensioner last done? and are there any unusual noises with the fault? also, have you had the car fault read? :)

jimbob
24-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi eshrules

Well I had my timing belt changed about 2 months ago, there are no unusual noises at all the car seems to shake its self to bits when you put your foot down, sixth gear is the worse one but if you get over say 7O you can floor it, and it wont shake after that, but if you slowly creep up it doesn't shake, it's only if you push it, it seemed like an engine mountain to me so i changed the gearbox mountain (the one under the gearbox).

cheers.:biglaugh:

jimbob
25-06-2007, 05:33 PM
hi yeah i've had the car fault read but there's nothing that comes up.

mack10
25-06-2007, 05:40 PM
hi mate, i've had the same prob as you on my 01 gt tdi, i've also changed the dogbone bush put still the same prob put i am getting it checked out this w'end so i will let u know!!

jimbob
25-06-2007, 05:42 PM
thanks mate that would be brill.:biglaugh:

mack10
25-06-2007, 07:03 PM
forgot to mention but alot of people told me it was the mass fly wheel but i had it checked and i was told its ok! cause if it was, then it would be a constant problem! i.e judder/vibaration when driving but thats not the case!!

jimbob
26-06-2007, 06:06 PM
do you know how they checked the mass flywheel by any chance?

mack10
27-06-2007, 06:37 PM
the few vw mechanics that checked my car all said it might be the flywheel but once they drove the car and heard it running they told me its not the flywheel becuase i would have had clutch probs or there would be a grinding noise, but there would be some sort of clutch prob or noise coming from the gearbox but there was nothing! these guy are good but just never encounterd this kind of prob after that they told me its an engine mount and the dogbone was a common fault and thats what is cuasing the judder etc but will wait and see!!

jimbob
27-06-2007, 10:28 PM
hi mack10

but haven't you already changed the dogbone already? so have the vw garage still got your car then? or are you going to change one of the other engine mountains your self, the one on the gearbox costs about £60 and the one on the engine next to the timing belt costs about £100 or their abouts that's how much vw charge for the engine mountains.:beerchug:

a8 tech
27-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Is it possible this may be engine misfire and if so at the speed and load of the engine i would check the tandem fuel pump pressure

Shipz
27-06-2007, 10:46 PM
If the steering wheel is shaking at around 60+ it could be something as simple as wheel balancing.

My steering wheel shook quite badly as i hit that speed and once i had the front wheels balanced, it resolved the problem.

If it is not in the steering, sorry can't help any further!

Stevef.
30-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Is it not just the clutch slipping

jimbob
30-06-2007, 01:31 PM
no the revs stay as they would normally at that speed and they don't go up quicker and there's no slipping when you put your foot down neither.
I've been looking at other threads and people have been saying that it could be the dual mass flywheel that has gone and what has been causing the juddering.

Stevef.
01-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello again, well mate the reason i suggest this is that my car and a mates does the same, possibly not as bad as yours when it does it is when i try to boot it too much in higher gears under say 2500 revs it was ok until it was chipped as was my mates its the extra torque at lower revs the standard clutch cant handle the revs dont just shoot up like you would think the car just starts juddering pretty bad if you ease off a touch its ok and you can stamp on it once the revs are up a bit your car may not be chipped but the clutch might just be worn. Hope you find your problem anyway. ;)

Eshrules
01-07-2007, 05:49 PM
can i just ask.... when you are 'flooring' it , and you're getting the juddering, what revs are you at?

ive read another post on here where the OP was complaining of a juddering, but it turned out he was flooring it at too low a rev, ie you really shouldnt be flooring these engines at anything below 2500, the way the clutch and flywheel work, to do so would simply put excess strain on the flywheel and youll get nowhere fast.

to be flooring it in 5th, you should be at at least, id say, around 65/70 mph.

Stevef.
01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi Esh , Dont know if your post was to me or not but my car was ok Pre chip once chipped + injectors get a bit of clutch trouble ,not really a problem you can drive around it, I will just replace with uprated clutch or possiblly clutch/flywheel when i need to , to be honest going off all the stuff ive read up on at tdiclub.com i thought it would be more of a problem than it is. Boost gauge helps too see how much your giving it. Steve