PDA

View Full Version : My golf and how i clean it/beading pics

Ben
24-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I thought i'd share how i clean my car and the alloys and what i use.

Here is a befor shot of the dirty front right alloy, there is two weeks filth on this wheel.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007193.jpg

following are images of what i use to clean the car and alloys.
This is the alloy wheel cleaner.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007189.jpg

this is the car shampoo
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007191.jpg

this is the wheel brush, it is plenty long enough to reach across the full width of the alloy.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007192.jpg

this is the spray bottle with an approximate 3 or 4:1 dilution
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007190.jpg

Initially i spray the alloy wheel soloution on to all the wheels being certain not to miss any areas and getting the soloution all the way in between the spokes and the full width of the alloy and leave to work.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007194.jpg

I wash half of the car left and right not front to back, with a standard sponge and a big bucket of hot water mixed with about 2 or 3 egg cups worth of car shampoo, and then work the alloy brush vigorously between each spoke at all angles to get to all the nooks and crannies. You cant heplp but get covered in spray so wear old clothes. I then wash with sponge and rinse thoroughly with the brush if required. I then repeat for the other half of the car.

All clean and here is a close up photo showing the clean cross section of the alloy.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007196.jpg

This is the right front alloy all clean.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007195.jpg

Here is a mix of before and after to compare results.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/compare.jpg

and a full overview with the wipers in the "service" position.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/24062007197.jpg

RickT
24-06-2007, 10:21 PM
looks nice!!

you should see the colour of my alloys before and after... the dirt and brake dust just sticks like crazy!!

next time i was i will post a pic..

RicKT

golf tdi 02
25-06-2007, 05:51 PM
hi ben not bad for a start ;)
lets see if you get the beading after the polish

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

golf tdi 02
25-06-2007, 05:54 PM
just a pointer autoglym slightly better than autosmart;)

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 08:11 AM
just a pointer autoglym slightly better than autosmart;)

i've never even seen that autosmart before :o my current range consists of

AG body shampoo
AG fast glass
AG instant tyre dressing
Sonus Paint cleanser
CG xxx

i've got to go shopping in a few weeks, get the AG SRP & EGP to go with my xxx ;)

p.s would love to see the beadage pics :)

Ben
26-06-2007, 03:40 PM
it comes round work on a Auto smart van. cheaper than high street.

BROWN_OWL
26-06-2007, 03:43 PM
a de badged golf looks quite nice. ive done it to mine. also how do you get the wiper blades into the "service position" i keep having to fiddle loads and evetually do it but what is the quickest way

Ben
26-06-2007, 03:43 PM
its not beaded since the supagaurd wore off that the dealer put on it.

one day i'll polish it. one day i'll own polish. one day i'll be really bored and have no decorating or garden jobs to do.

one day it might not rain.

you can do it your self if you were offering?;)

Veedubber
26-06-2007, 03:56 PM
And why is it the service position? Is that the position they need to be in to change them or something? I always leave mine down - if I happen to turn the car off by mistake when the wipers are on and so they are left half way up the windscreen, then I will switch the car back on, switch off the wipers and leave them neatly at the bottom. :Blush:

BROWN_OWL
26-06-2007, 04:05 PM
i cant do that. stupid rain sensor is like it not raining i'll bring them back down!!! no matter how quickly i turn off the engine once thay start wiping. plus i like to lift the blades off the screen to clean them and then return them back down the bottom without them smearing my windscreen!!! cant stand it. mind u i do take about 2 hours to clean my car

Veedubber
26-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm afraid I rarely have time for the polishing.

I wash my car regularly but I wash it top to bottom. I have a power washer and so first I rinse it all off, with the wipers away from the windows :Blush2: then I get my bucket of warm soapy water and start with the roof. The soap is that turtle wax soap stuff and I can almost hear the sucking of breath through teeth from here. Anyway, I do the roof, then the windows and then the top halfs (halves?) of the doors, to the trim marker. Then I rinse it all off and have another power wash at the mucky bottom half of the doors and sills. Then I wash those with my soapy water and rinse off.

Then I replace my bucket of soapy water with more soapy water. I use a little nylon scrubber to get all the little squashed dried on bugs off and as much/many of the tar spots I can possibly get off. Then I clean the alloys and give the tyre walls a bit of a scrub. I then go round the bottom of the car again and rinse it all off.

And then I look at it a lot. ;)

I used to use a chamoix (? shammy!) to dry off but meh, life's too short and besides, a couple of times I've messed it up at that point and left it all smeary.

I'd like to think every couple of months I polish it but in reality :o it's about twice a year.

And I HATE doing the interior! No idea why, but I hate it!

Veedubber
26-06-2007, 04:15 PM
i cant do that. stupid rain sensor is like it not raining i'll bring them back down!!! no matter how quickly i turn off the engine once thay start wiping. plus i like to lift the blades off the screen to clean them and then return them back down the bottom without them smearing my windscreen!!! cant stand it. mind u i do take about 2 hours to clean my car

I like to lift mine off for cleaning and leave no smears. But I'd never leave them all pointing up the way.

Slightly envious of your rain sensor. :Blush:

Ben
26-06-2007, 05:17 PM
And why is it the service position? Is that the position they need to be in to change them or something? I always leave mine down - if I happen to turn the car off by mistake when the wipers are on and so they are left half way up the windscreen, then I will switch the car back on, switch off the wipers and leave them neatly at the bottom. :Blush:

got it in one. if they were left down as normal it would not be possible to lift them away from the glass. with the key in the ignition and a single press on the stalk, they stop at 12o'clock, so you can clean / change / maintain / service them.

Eshrules
26-06-2007, 05:54 PM
its not beaded since the supagaurd wore off that the dealer put on it.

one day i'll polish it. one day i'll own polish. one day i'll be really bored and have no decorating or garden jobs to do.

one day it might not rain.

you can do it your self if you were offering?;)

feel free to bring it round one decent weekend ;) few bottles of strongbow and a fair bit of elbow grease from you will do as payment ;)

golf tdi 02
28-06-2007, 10:16 AM
ok the range of autoglym is
pm3 - this is multi wash ie dilute to interior cleaneror engine/alloy cleaner
super resin / this is a polish /only mint cars
radiant wax - slight cutting paste in it
liquid hard wax - after applying the above first -this gets the beading real good and trust me the dirt cant stick to this
vynal and rubber cleaner -tyre dressing -- tyres
super sheen -dressing the engine bay
i will take some pics of all chemicals and try to up load
ben if you want some products or at a push ill wax your golf and show you how to use this to make your cars look like show room condition
rich;);););)

Veedubber
28-06-2007, 02:16 PM
got it in one. if they were left down as normal it would not be possible to lift them away from the glass. with the key in the ignition and a single press on the stalk, they stop at 12o'clock, so you can clean / change / maintain / service them.

Eh? I don't understand - I always leave mine down as in sort of horizontal position but I can lift it away from the glass and it holds itself away from the glass... Have I misunderstood something?! Mebbes it's easier to do if they are at 12 o'clock... not sure why but there you go.

golf tdi 02
28-06-2007, 07:04 PM
just a few to show the wifes car i had to bring to work to clean
she never does it

:biglaugh:

Ben
28-06-2007, 07:15 PM
if you want some products or at a push ill wax your golf and show you how to use this to make your cars look like show room condition
rich;);););)

I may take you up on that mate.;) i don't mind putting in the effort, plus if i'm not at home, there is no distractions.:D

golf tdi 02
28-06-2007, 07:18 PM
giz a bel on sunday and ill show you how to clean your car properly
ive got the full kit at home
anytime

rich :p

Ben
28-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Can't this weekend or next at the moment, but if something gives, i'll be in touch.;)

what we could do is a video how to guide, say 10 videos, 2 mins each?

Alun
29-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Cars look good! But don't use a sponge (sounds daft I know). Try to buy a nice lambswool wash mit. Using a sponge can create swirl marks and fine scratches over time on the paintwork. A sponge will trap dirt on the surface of the sponge and then you are literally wiping this dirt all over your car.

Check out this link:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

golf tdi 02
29-06-2007, 06:40 PM
these are a few pics before and after
1-radiant wax autoglym
2-liquid hard wax autoglym
can you just love the shine ? ;)

Ben
29-06-2007, 06:55 PM
these are a few pics before and after
1-radiant wax autoglym
2-liquid hard wax autoglym
can you just love the shine ? ;)

You can deffinately tell the difference between all 3 pics. From left to right, the red just gets better.:bigeyes:

golf tdi 02
29-06-2007, 06:58 PM
your golf can look this good too:beerchug:

valet magic
29-06-2007, 11:37 PM
want any tips just ask :D

golf tdi 02
30-06-2007, 11:53 AM
have a look see what you think ? ;)

diesel nut
30-06-2007, 02:42 PM
not bad was this with liquid hard wax ? :p

Eshrules
30-06-2007, 04:39 PM
have a look see what you think ? ;)

that beading is quite loose though? id of thought beading should be more like this? :

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/eshrules/DSC00520.jpg

Ben
30-06-2007, 04:43 PM
surely beading is beading:confused: . Is a banana supposed to be straight or bent? or is it just a banana:confused:

Eshrules
30-06-2007, 07:48 PM
surely beading is beading:confused: . Is a banana supposed to be straight or bent? or is it just a banana:confused:

oh noooooo, can tell you havent been on DW ;) go over there and say that.... it would be like eating a mars bar in a fat club....

from what i've read, beading is supposed to be small, tight beads, the smaller and tighter, the better. its all to do with the water not sitting on the paint, i cant remember the exact explanation or reasoning why though :Blush2:

i do know that after reading for hours on DW, i find myself looking at cars and crying inside to see them not beading at all :o

valet magic
30-06-2007, 11:15 PM
oh noooooo, can tell you havent been on DW ;) go over there and say that.... it would be like eating a mars bar in a fat club....

from what i've read, beading is supposed to be small, tight beads, the smaller and tighter, the better. its all to do with the water not sitting on the paint, i cant remember the exact explanation or reasoning why though :Blush2:

i do know that after reading for hours on DW, i find myself looking at cars and crying inside to see them not beading at all :o

Spot on matey

Driver1.8
01-07-2007, 08:39 AM
How long has the supaguard paint preparation lasted on the car? Thought it was lifetime warranty?

Ben
01-07-2007, 09:06 AM
i got the car last november, they put it on for me, and ive got the rest of it still in the box.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/01072007212.jpg

valet magic
01-07-2007, 12:10 PM
i got the car last november, they put it on for me, and ive got the rest of it still in the box.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/golfmk5gttdi/01072007212.jpg

leave it there its crap ;)

Eshrules
01-07-2007, 02:29 PM
what do you reckon to the AG lifeshine?:Blush:

Ben
01-07-2007, 03:18 PM
To be honest, the 1st time thy came out the box was for the photo:Blush2:

valet magic
01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Lifeshine Is Alot Better Than Superguard :d

Eshrules
01-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Lifeshine Is Alot Better Than Superguard :d

but compared to, say, the 'normal' wax process, which would come up trumps?

eg,

my normal wash would be with AG body conditioner, SRP, EGP, CG XXX wax.

would the AG lifeshine give a better finish than this? or is lifeshine more about protection?

valet magic
02-07-2007, 12:41 AM
life shine is mainly for protection however your process would add protection to the paint as would any wax but cg xxx is only really durable for say 1 month so you would benefit to top it up monthly, also have you tried a sealant before the wax say jetseal 109 ?

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 12:56 AM
life shine is mainly for protection however your process would add protection to the paint as would any wax but cg xxx is only really durable for say 1 month so you would benefit to top it up monthly, also have you tried a sealant before the wax say jetseal 109 ?

i try to wax the car around every 4 weeks anyway, the weather has kiboshed that one at the moment.

as for the sealent, im getting some CG cherry wet wax to polish with, then sealing it with CG M Seal, then topping it off with CG XXX wax.....

i love the CG products ;)

valet magic
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
if you were to use jetseal 109 correctly you would be amazed at the finish and there is no need for wax on it. Put 2 layers on with breaks in between (15-20 mins) and it will bead for months. jetseal really is the product at the moment and all the people/mates i have on DW say the same. ;) Just out of interest where abouts are you from mate.

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 08:32 AM
if you were to use jetseal 109 correctly you would be amazed at the finish and there is no need for wax on it. Put 2 layers on with breaks in between (15-20 mins) and it will bead for months. jetseal really is the product at the moment and all the people/mates i have on DW say the same. ;) Just out of interest where abouts are you from mate.

hmmm..... i might look into that then... is it a trade only product or is it available from most cleaning stores? im not really bothered about the durability of the wax, i dont mind cleaning it every month, but i do love a wet finish, id always give way on durability in favour of the finish....

im from stalybridge/manchester.... why ? :p

valet magic
02-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Jetseal is a cg product if you get some do what it says on the label and you will be shocked. I thought if you were quite local i would put a bit on your motor so you could see for yourself.

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Jetseal is a cg product if you get some do what it says on the label and you will be shocked. I thought if you were quite local i would put a bit on your motor so you could see for yourself.

i've just had a quick look, its a 2 stage application from the looks of it... not very complex...

so would you not use a sealent with this then?

thats a very nice offer ;) but heathrow is a bit far from me :(

valet magic
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
i've just had a quick look, its a 2 stage application from the looks of it... not very complex...

so would you not use a sealent with this then?

thats a very nice offer ;) but heathrow is a bit far from me :(

Jetseal is a sealant (you dont have to use a wax)
The main thing is to allow it to cure between layers.

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Jetseal is a sealant (you dont have to use a wax)
The main thing is to allow it to cure between layers.

i've read a little more and i briefly understand the properties of this that allow it to bond etc.

BUT i thought that the idea behind the whole process of clay, polish, seal, wax.... was to build up seperate layers of protection.

im confused :( how does jet seal manage to achieve the same level/better protection than applying several layers of polish, sealer and wax? :Blush2:

valet magic
02-07-2007, 11:35 AM
you would still polish and clay and by applying 2 layers of jetseal it does the job of the sealant and the wax trust me you will fall over if you are standing.

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
you would still polish and clay and by applying 2 layers of jetseal it does the job of the sealant and the wax trust me you will fall over if you are standing.

hmmm.... i may just give it a try ;) my friends brother in law owns cleanyourcar so i might ask for a sample :p

if i can get some, ill give it a try and post up the results.... i've managed to get a pretty good result just using the xxx, but im after that ultimate wetness, so ill put you to the test LOL

valet magic
02-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Also for depth and wetness try cg 50/50 gives better results than xxx imo.
I also use alot of zymol products but will put my neck on the line and say that 50/50 matches some of them.

valet magic
02-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Also used the jetseal in my dads a8 detail check the thread :D

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Also for depth and wetness try cg 50/50 gives better results than xxx imo.
I also use alot of zymol products but will put my neck on the line and say that 50/50 matches some of them.

ive heard a lot of people comparing it to the zymol products, the name of the individual product escapes me, but this is on my shopping list for the end of the month as well ;)

i think i may have to invest in a PC or a rotary... but thats a whole subject aside yet which i have to look into :blush:

golf tdi 02
02-07-2007, 04:15 PM
beading depends on the rain (act of god ):confused:

valet magic
02-07-2007, 04:22 PM
beading depends on the rain (act of god ):confused:

rain is rain beading varies from wax to wax

valet magic
02-07-2007, 04:23 PM
ive heard a lot of people comparing it to the zymol products, the name of the individual product escapes me, but this is on my shopping list for the end of the month as well ;)

i think i may have to invest in a PC or a rotary... but thats a whole subject aside yet which i have to look into :blush:

Do not buy a rotary unless you are a god with a pc as 1 mistake with a rotary and you will cry.

golf tdi 02
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
ok whats the best beading tool then ?

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Do not buy a rotary unless you are a god with a pc as 1 mistake with a rotary and you will cry.

thats what im researching :p believe me, i wont attempt anything on my car until im happy i know what im doing ;)

valet magic
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
ok whats the best beading tool then ?

a good quality wax

valet magic
02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
thats what im researching :p believe me, i wont attempt anything on my car until im happy i know what im doing ;)

good man i only use a rotary when i really need too like the times the pc just does not have the guts to cut the paint.

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
good man i only use a rotary when i really need too like the times the pc just does not have the guts to cut the paint.

it does seem to be a really complex area.... my brother laughs at me and the amount of time i spend practicing things like working wax and researching what products to use, but then stands in awe at the results i get ;)

PC's and how to use them, together with the whole pads and polishes is something which leaves me bemused quite honestly....

its hard to understand sometimes on DW with all the abbreviations and assumptions they make..... its a wealth of knowledge, but its hard :(

valet magic
02-07-2007, 05:20 PM
I agree with you its like waking in a maze, it does take a long time but when you can use one with all different combinations the results are worth the headache, my 1 piece of advice to you mate is dont try and take everything in at once as you wont get anywhere. just take your time reading and if there is anything you need to know i am on here so just ask away :D advice and help is always free :D

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree with you its like waking in a maze, it does take a long time but when you can use one with all different combinations the results are worth the headache, my 1 piece of advice to you mate is dont try and take everything in at once as you wont get anywhere. just take your time reading and if there is anything you need to know i am on here so just ask away :D advice and help is always free :D

LOL i know what you mean, for instance, the use of a foaming pre wash.... i had stumbled across the idea on DW, thought id have a search for more info.... theres a 1001 threads dedicated to just that! i was like :Blush2: crumbs this is going to take a long time lol

ill have a think over the next few days and compile a list of what i think are FAQ.... if you wouldnt mind answering, or at least guide me in the right direction ? ;)

valet magic
02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
No problem:D

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
ill update in a few days;) no doubt my sponge will be full by then