PDA

View Full Version : Slightly oily coolant fluid

zalek
12-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Question with regards to coolant fluid. I looked at a passat to buy this weekend (TDI PD, 05, 130bhp) and noticed that his coolant is slightly oily. However, the coolant is translucent and has no spots of having anything dark in it. Is it just some strange slighly oily coolant or would it always be a sign of somthing getting into it? There were,as I said, no black spots or anything that would suggest actual oil getting into there. Also, it does not smell of anything really, certainly not of oil. The coolant fluid also had just tiny bit 'thickier' feel.

What I'm asking, I guess, is whether coolant fluid shoudl never have oily feel? Any help would be welcome as the car, apart from this one bit, is pretty good.

Crasher
12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Without seeing it, it is difficult to advise you. G12++ does have a slightly oily feel to it.

zalek
12-12-2010, 03:49 PM
the coolant has ever so slight blue colour tonation (but really really slight). My previous old passat had red coolant that (that was very red).

As I say, I had nothing left on my hands that felt like engine oil (which having experience with head gasket on my previous car I know very well).

Crasher
12-12-2010, 04:14 PM
The coolant should not be blue, it should be red, pink or purple so it has G11 type in it which is technically wrong but this does have a very slimy feel to it.

zalek
12-12-2010, 05:32 PM
that would explain it.

I guess I would have to flush to coolant of and have it replaced with the correct one.

Crasher
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
That would be best, use G12++.