PDA

View Full Version : towbar on TDI estate

yorkie2
24-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm planning on getting a new Passat SE TDI 140 estate via the company car scheme, but there's one question that I can't seem to get a clear positive answer on, which I must answer b4 final choice.

I need to put a 'normal' 2 bolt towbar on, it's to hold my bike carrier.
I see that VW only have a detachable, or a swan neck fixed, towbars, which won't allow the bike carrier bracket to be fixed on.

My questions are:
1) Which 2 bolt towbars have people had fitted ? Good/bad experiences ? Cost ?
2) How much clearance is there between the bumper and the vertical plane where the towball is bolted to the bracket ? (Reason is that the bike carrier has a vertical bracket that is about 20cm high, and would foul any overhanging bumper. I'll post a picture of my existing setup on current car next week)
3) I may tow trailers and possibly a caravan. What's the deal with the complicated electrics ? and does this increase cost/reduce choice ?

Happy to answer questions and TIA.

Yorkie2

Quatrelle
24-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Haven't got one fitted myself, but this has already been dealt with (in part only) on another thread here. Have a look at: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=8148

Ben
26-06-2007, 10:14 PM
you may find some information in this thread helpfull

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9482

carl s
27-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Anyone got any pics of a towbar fitted to a B6 estate?

Quatrelle
27-06-2007, 03:10 PM
There are some (small) pictures of a towbar, and of a bike carrier, in the Passat brochure, but I'm not sure if they would be of any help....just thought I'd mention it.

yorkie2
30-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for info to date, I've checked out the other threads.

The one on the different electrical options confused me, particularly as the prices indicated are v high, £500 for a full setup ? I was hoping for something less than £200 all in, which does seem to be possible, but with no indication of all the electrical malarkey.

Now I've got some time I also have the pictures of the existing bike carrier setup on a Mondeo estate, with a Witter (I think) 2 bolt towbar.
file:///H:/Phone%20videos%20and%20photos/Bike%20carrier%202.jpg
As you can see, the mounting flange for the carrier protrudes about 20 cm rfom the actual bar/bolt assembly.

So from this can anyone tell me if I'm going to have a problem if I get a similar (witter/towsure) bar/bolt assembly and try to mount the carrier on it.
Will it foul on the Passat estate back bumper ?

TIA

yorkie2

Quatrelle
30-06-2007, 01:46 PM
The high price of a genuine VW towbar put me off (bar plus electrics) to the extent that, as I only tow a trailer for diy use, we've kept our old diesel Laguna because it has a towbar, four good tyres, there's no road tax here and it's not worth a lot. The cost of the VW item will keep our Laguna in insurance for a few years yet! The genuine VW bar has a detachable swan neck I believe.

Ben
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Take a look at the Tow Bar Thread, its in my sig. I have updated it with new information and a link which you all may find very usefull.

Ben