PDA

View Full Version : Low washer level light

colp
09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
The washer level warning light came on a few days ago. Despite using screenwash the washer fluid is frozen.
Would this cause the warning light to come on?
When I try the washers I cannot hear any motor activity - could this be linked?
Can't find a fuse for washers listed in the handbook, only for the heated jets.
Checked all fuses and all are ok. :1zhelp:

Bratty
09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Suggest you park your car somewhere warm for the night ie. heated garage, Once your washer fluid is back to norm empty the system and fill it up with a good quality brand (undiluted).

Good Quality brand! Why?

Because its (fairly well?) garanteed not to smear or go thick at its extreme its temperature limit, and although costs a bit more might save you having an accident as you are trying to drive your car home with your hand out the window wiping a letterbox size hole in the crud with a tissue so you can see;).

Undiluted! Why?

Cause it is rated to say -20 degrees but outside its only -8 degrees, you have to factor windchill, (imagine -8 degrees at 70 mph for a prolonged time??).

Cheap Fluid is ok in temperate months but in winter its not worth the hassle! (And mixing brand can cause the mixture to go like jelly).

Dunk

colp
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks
Washers seem to work ok now front and rear however the warning light is still on even though the washer bottle is full.
Have been using carplan screenwash which I thought was a decent brand. Maybe not?

Zafi
10-12-2010, 12:22 AM
I had similar, yesterday it was above freezing and today also.

So I kept the washers going until it was all gone, then filled up with neat fluid, Halfords make, that I used last year without any freezing or paint damage.

Big Bird
10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Three days ago i went into my garage to fill up my washer bottle. The bottle of CONCENTRATED screenwash had frozen solid!! Big blue block of ice!!!

Decent brand too, and allegedly works to -20!!

A friend of mine stated the stuff only really works when water is added to it (science reasons, well above my knowledge...!!).

Bratty
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
During the nineties when I was posted to Germany it was common to put "neat vodka" in the washer bottles as it was cheaper than Screenwash!!?!! IT NEVER FROZE!! Plus if you got stuck in the snow you could at least have a party;).

Bit too expensive now:mad:.

Dunk

ScottyUK
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Decent brand too, and allegedly works to -20!!

-20C is not very cold if you consider wind chill

0C @ 50mph = -15C windchill

The Audi fluid goes to -70C. ;)

Zenerdiode
10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
-20C is not very cold if you consider wind chill

0C @ 50mph = -15C windchill

The Audi fluid goes to -70C. ;)

Not true I'm afraid. Wind chill is only percieved by the human body; and is due to the evaporation of sweat cooling the body further. To an innanimate object, if it's -5°C, it doesn't matter how fast the wind is blowing, its still just -5°C.

Think about when driving at 70mph, the outside temperature gauge doesn't start dropping... :)

ScottyUK
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Good point. I always assumed it was coz it was deliberately out of the air flow.

Fair enough :beerchug:

At the same time I've always stuck with the Audi stuff and in 9 years never had an issue.....and that's with always diluting it down. I just keep the mix stronger in winter.

certacito
10-12-2010, 06:20 PM
During the nineties when I was posted to Germany it was common to put "neat vodka" in the washer bottles as it was cheaper than Screenwash!!?!! IT NEVER FROZE!! Plus if you got stuck in the snow you could at least have a party;).

Bit too expensive now:mad:.

Dunk

I always had my suspicions about AL-11, far too much leaving the MT in August :D

colp
10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
The issue I have at the moment is that the level sensor seems to have been destroyed by the extreme cold.
It is registering empty even though its full.
I have filled and emptied several times and it is still showing on DIS.
Looks like i'll have to pay the dealer a visit but at least its still under warranty although I may leave it a while so there is no suggestion that because audi screenwash was not used the warranty is void

B6Andy101
10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Good brand. Good point.

Looked at topping up at Sainsbury's earlier in the week. their own brand screenwash (the only one they sell) states
'concentrated screen wash suitable for use down to -5 when undiluted'

It was -12 at the time.

Hammy969
11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Good brand. Good point.

Looked at topping up at Sainsbury's earlier in the week. their own brand screenwash (the only one they sell) states
'concentrated screen wash suitable for use down to -5 when undiluted'

It was -12 at the time.
Evening Guys

Interesting comments about the screen wash, one of my co works lives and works in Inverness and during one of our conference calls this week gave "us southern softies",and thats souther Scotland! a tip about screen wash.
He confirmed that the cheapest vodka was more effective and cheaper than the real thing! You can only imagine the abuse he got after that;)

colp
14-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the responses guys
Everything is working perfectly again.
Got in the car the other morning and the warning did not come on, it all went ok on its own.
Strange but I'm not complaining, saved me a trip to the dealer
:biglaugh:

Boat_face
14-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Glad to hear it's fixed.

I've recently had similar problems and with my A4 and have posted them on the other forum (its an older model than yours).

The suggestion made by the garage I used was to put methylated spirits into your screen wash. Anyone here tried that? Or is Aldi own brand Vodka still cheaper?!

Also, when you say decent brand screen wash what brand is decent? Be interested to know what people are using and what seems to be working.

Cheers

vwawudi
20-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I've recently had the same low level light on which was 'rectified' by the dealer - 'complimentary' filling.

Anyway, finally got frozen jets this weekend and have now obtained a bottle of Audi screenwash. Problem is, I don't know how to tell how full it is.

And another thing, how do you know how much dilution is required if you cannot read German? The diagrams don't help me at all.

certacito
20-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I've recently had the same low level light on which was 'rectified' by the dealer - 'complimentary' filling.

Anyway, finally got frozen jets this weekend and have now obtained a bottle of Audi screenwash. Problem is, I don't know how to tell how full it is.

And another thing, how do you know how much dilution is required if you cannot read German? The diagrams don't help me at all.

The diagrams (behind front label) indicate the ratio of concentrate to water, for example

-35 = one part (1l) concentrate to one part (1l) water (gives 2l mix)
-16 = one part (1l) concentrate to two parts (2l) water (gives 3l mix)

ScottyUK
20-12-2010, 08:40 PM
If I didn't know the mix then I'd throw in a bottle of it neat. I'd then use the empty bottle and make it up (using the second bottle I bought) to the concentration I wanted and I'd put it in my boot.

Then why my washers empty I'd put the bottle from my boot in. Once home I'd refill the bottle to the contration I wanted and put empty it in. I'd keep doing this until the washer bottle was full and then I know the concentration also.

The one thing I forgot to mention is make sure you label your bottles so you know which is diluted and to what mix e.g. 1:1, 2:1 etc

vwawudi
21-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Right, I don't know what's the matter but my finger of accusation is pointing straight at my dealer!

I put the entire bottle of Audi screenwash NEAT this morning since the jets didn't work as I got set for the work commute.

Still not working. Tried it intermittently on the way to work, only worsened my screen.

Engine fully warmed up by the time I arrived, tried opening the bonnet for a few moments to try and 'defrost' the jets but still nothing.

I NEVER had any trouble with the extreme cold we had a few weeks ago (-12C) and it only started after my last dealer trip where they 'filled' the fluid and reset the warning light. I thought straight away that the washer fluid looked pretty diluted.

I am ******! What do I do? Not sure if it's a simple freezing or some other anomaly.

I'll check again after work then it's off back to the dealer.

theskyfox
21-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Was literally just speaking to my cousin about this. He's had bad luck in his car...the washer fluid froze solid, and so did the water in his radiator. He wasn't aware of it...so drove off onto the A127. The Thermostat opened on the car, and of course the hot water stayed in the engine. So not only could he not clear the salt off his windscreen, but he had to pull over because the engine overheated complete with steam effects et al!. All for the sake of poor quality washer fluid/antifreeze! Buy cheap stuff at your peril.....

For the record his car is a Ford fiesta, but I imagine it wouldn't be unrealistic to imagine the same couldn't happen to any car!

-Andrew

vwawudi
22-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Fed up, fed up, fed up.

Washer motor whirring but no jet wash. Reservoir full to the brim, 1L neat Audi screenwash. After my 30min drive from work, I tried the open bonnet trick. Sat in the car for more than 5 minutes with the hood up hoping it would thaw whatever may be frozen but still no luck.

Any ideas? Could it be more than a simple freeze? I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer.

simfin
22-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Fed up, fed up, fed up.

Washer motor whirring but no jet wash. Reservoir full to the brim, 1L neat Audi screenwash. After my 30min drive from work, I tried the open bonnet trick. Sat in the car for more than 5 minutes with the hood up hoping it would thaw whatever may be frozen but still no luck.

Any ideas? Could it be more than a simple freeze? I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer.

Is there anyway you can use a hosepipe (good luck finding one unfrozen) and then "kind of seal" it around the water bottle inlet. Turn the water on and I would imagine if the water pipes etc are in place and clear, then the pressure of the water should force water out of the nozzles. You could also try this the other way from the bonnet nozzles.

It could be that the water is not frozen, the motor is working, but that the Impeller is broken (if it has one).

vwawudi
22-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Is there anyway you can use a hosepipe (good luck finding one unfrozen) and then "kind of seal" it around the water bottle inlet. Turn the water on and I would imagine if the water pipes etc are in place and clear, then the pressure of the water should force water out of the nozzles. You could also try this the other way from the bonnet nozzles.

It could be that the water is not frozen, the motor is working, but that the Impeller is broken (if it has one).

Thanks.
I'll have a look and see if there are any visible hoses. None obvious when I looked yesterday.

ScottyUK
22-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Pressurising it is the last thing I'd do. You'll most likely blow the pipes off the connectors or worse.

Bunging in 1L of fluid will help but if the frozen part is not in contact with it then it'll obviously make sod all difference.

NickH A4
22-12-2010, 11:27 AM
May not help but I would empty the washer bottle by siphoning it off into another bottle with some hose and then check inside the washer bottle to see if there is some sediment or gunk built up.

Unusual to happen so quickly but I guess it's possible, may need the washer bottle replacing or at least you may find the problem.

HTH

Nick:beerchug:

simfin
22-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Pressurising it is the last thing I'd do. You'll most likely blow the pipes off the connectors or worse.

Bunging in 1L of fluid will help but if the frozen part is not in contact with it then it'll obviously make sod all difference.

LOL - was thinking of a gentle flow, rather than 3000 psi ;) . But, yes I know what you mean :)

NickPicks
22-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I'd start by taking the hose off of the washer motor. If this lets water out when you squirt the washer switch, then the blockage must be in the pipes. If not, it's a problem with the motor / impeller.

If it's with the pipes, find the T junction (usually in the bonnet) and disconnect it to see if water squirts there.

If neither jet is working, it's either that they're both blocked or frozen, or the blockage is before the T.

vwawudi
22-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd start by taking the hose off of the washer motor. If this lets water out when you squirt the washer switch, then the blockage must be in the pipes. If not, it's a problem with the motor / impeller.

If it's with the pipes, find the T junction (usually in the bonnet) and disconnect it to see if water squirts there.

If neither jet is working, it's either that they're both blocked or frozen, or the blockage is before the T.

Diagrams would be nice LOL! It all looks sealed up from my cursory glance yesterday.

mike ryan
22-12-2010, 01:41 PM
1 litre of washer fluid will not stop a washer bottle from fereezing in these temps. I always make sure its 50/50 as a minimum. I would try defrosting it by pouring warm water out of a kettle over it but if the pipes are froze then its no good until it gets warmer.

Big Bird
22-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't worry, i think we're all in the same (frozen) boat!! Mine have been solid for days now- even put neat fluid in the tank but that can't beat the -20 temps we've had here.

ScottyUK
22-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Not even with -70C rated screenwash? :confused:

vwawudi
23-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Not even with -70C rated screenwash? :confused:

In my case, I had no trouble with freezing until it was 'topped up' by my dealer. I feel that it may have been too dilute (certainly looked that way on the drive home after the visit). Didn't get the strong smell that it had before either. That's the only explanation as the Audi fluid should be freeze proof at the temps we've been experienceing.