PDA

View Full Version : Touran. Any good?

Pad
24-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi all.
I'm looking into buying a touran,1.9 or 2 litre diesel. My budget should get me anything between a 2003 to 2006model, depending on the spec. I've read a few posts on here & it seems a few of you aren't to happy with the touran or is it only the problems that get posted.
Anyone any advice on what to watch out for, or should I avoid a touran altogether?
Cheers, Pad.

boomboomer
25-06-2007, 08:16 PM
It's an excellent car, almost as good to drive as a Golf but then almost as practical as the Sharan.

Get the 2.0 if you can as the extra torque is well worth it.

There some varied and niggly problems, partially due to how complex most of it's systems are, but none are what I'd call major or would stop me from buying another. Two other people have bought Tourans after having a good look at mine and they're still happy.

I can't think of anything I've heard happen on all cars, apart from the webasto heater fogbank - and that's supposed to happen. You can however inherit some very expensive repairs, so make sure everything works before you buy.

Pad
27-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Cheers for the reply. Was reading the Whatcar review & it says to avoid the 2 litre & go for the 1.9. Anyone any good/bad experiences of either?
I've been fancying a 2.0 sport.
Cheers, Pad.

aussie
27-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I bought a 1.9 TDi S (90bhp) a couple of weeks ago and I must say that it is a pleasure to drive and is more than we expected.

However, we are getting it remapped as the garage sold it as a 105bhp and that was the model we wanted as we have a caravan.

My advice would be to get one:biglaugh:

boomboomer
27-06-2007, 04:49 PM
I've only driven the 2.0, not owned one, but the engine feels like it has twice the power of my 1.9 105PS.

Owning one could be a long term fuel issue, like the Toureg V10, it must be nice to have the power but difficult to get the 50mpg you can on the 1.9

Pad
30-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Now that me camper van has gone, I might be taking up caravaning. Is the 1.9 a good towing car?
Thanks again, Pad.

aussie
01-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Pad,

I haven't managed to try towing the van yet but I understand that it performs pretty good.

What Tow car gives a good match for our van for 105bhp 1.9.

Aussie

boomboomer
01-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I tow a 1,100kg 'van and the touran is excellent with plenty of torque, my previous 110PS Alhambra felt underpowed with the same 'van.

snowballpals
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi, Pad.
I bought my touran 1.9TDI SE new in Feb 2005, and have now covered 21,000+ miles. It is a good car to drive, economical, and low on road tax and insurance. Being retired, these factors are important to me.

I also use it as my towcar, and I pull a 1430 kg MTPLM caravan with it. The car does this work effortlessly. We have just returned from Cornwall with the van it tow; a distance of 300 miles, and about half the journey in severe wet weather. On arriving home, the onboard computer showed an average fuel consumption of 37.2 mpg for the journey. I cannot complain about that.

Late last night, we arrived home after a 13 mile journey, and the fuel consumption was idicated to be 60.1 mpg.

The slightly raised driving position, as compared to a car (the Touran being a small MPV), provides for less tiring driving in my opinion.

My one criticism is that, being a 7-seater, it does not have a spare wheel. But I would not let that put me off an otherwise great vehicle. I have simply bought an extra wheel for a spare, for which I now have to obtain a waterproof wheel cover; essential for containing the dirty, and possibly wet, wheel in the event of having to change a wheel.

Pad
05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Got meself a two year old 1.9SE, picked it up yesterday. Very pleased so far.
Cheers, Pad.