PDA

View Full Version : Question A4 alloy wheels, where to buy?

DanA4
07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Hello every one, I want to put some 17" alloys on my B7 A4, not sure what to have or where to buy, also not sure if 18" are any good or too big for my A4, really havent got a clue if they fit or not, I prefer original Audi alloys thou.

any advice/links/price or any info welcome, thanks in advance

p.s I really don't like my 16" they look too stupid!:(

bambamjj
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi

Here is a picture of my A4 (B7) with the RS4 18" s-line wheels - offset ET42 - PCD 112

You can get replicas on Ebay for about £300 or with tyres (235/40/18) for about £500-£600.

I will be getting rid of my genuine rims and be going for replicas, rims only after christmas as they can supply the bigger offset (ET35).

There are loads out there if you look and many replicas of Genuine Audi wheels, if that makes sense.file:///C:/Users/Jon/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.png

Hope this helps

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff510/bambamjj/Car/P1000933.jpg

file:///C:/Users/Jon/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.png

darich
07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
My avatar is my car with 19" RS6 alloys.
Check the gallery for my username and you'll find a few nicer images

:)

DanA4
08-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi

Here is a picture of my A4 (B7) with the RS4 18" s-line wheels - offset ET42 - PCD 112

You can get replicas on Ebay for about £300 or with tyres (235/40/18) for about £500-£600.

I will be getting rid of my genuine rims and be going for replicas, rims only after christmas as they can supply the bigger offset (ET35).

There are loads out there if you look and many replicas of Genuine Audi wheels, if that makes sense.file:///C:/Users/Jon/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.png

Hope this helps

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, why would you change these alloys as they look great on your A4? I think I might go for them aswel, once I've been told by a car garage that hey are heavy (fuel cost) and I should avoid them, but I've seen them before on A4 B7 and don't think any one had an issue with them! :p
cheers
Dan

bambamjj
08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi mate, thanks for the reply, why would you change these alloys as they look great on your A4? I think I might go for them aswel, once I've been told by a car garage that hey are heavy (fuel cost) and I should avoid them, but I've seen them before on A4 B7 and don't think any one had an issue with them! :p
cheers
Dan

Hello Dan

These wheels are standard fit for audi S-line I believe, i'm just a bit of a kid really, with the larger offset at et35, but ill be staying with same style, they give the car wider stance, so go out to the edge of the car arches, just purely aesthetic, but it is all subject to the boss, mine need refurbing because when i bought the car they had kerbing marks on all of them. They are trying to charge £250 for this service.

Go for it i say i have looked at others but personally i think this style wheel is the best and looks genuine and i want to keep the car looking as much as possible this way. you can also purchase standard offset (ET42) from Ebay.

One thing to note is some people are saying if you go for 19" the ride can be a bit harsh.

As for the comments from the garage that is just rubbish, unless some one can advise me different. What car/engine do you have?

Regards Jon

darich
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
One thing to note is some people are saying if you go for 19" the ride can be a bit harsh.

The ride is not too harsh.
In fact it's comfortable enough that my 90 year old gran commented on how comfortable the car was.
And that's with 235x35x19 tyres. That size of tyre gives the same circumference as 235x45x18 so the only difference is the few millimetres less of tyre wall to deflect. When I changed I hardly noticed a difference.

DanA4
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Hello Dan

As for the comments from the garage that is just rubbish, unless some one can advise me different. What car/engine do you have?

Regards Jon

I think I afree with 18" is just perfect,

Mine is A4 B7 1.9 tdi diesel.

cheers Dan

bambamjj
08-12-2010, 01:55 PM
The ride is not too harsh.
In fact it's comfortable enough that my 90 year old gran commented on how comfortable the car was.
And that's with 235x35x19 tyres. That size of tyre gives the same circumference as 235x45x18 so the only difference is the few millimetres less of tyre wall to deflect. When I changed I hardly noticed a difference.

19's it is then next time, just that i heard conflicting info on 19's being to harsh. What brand of tyres are you running, my problem is i have just replaced all 4 of my tyres in the last 2 months so got a few miles left be fore i can go up to 19's :aargh4:

bambamjj
08-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I think I afree with 18" is just perfect,

Mine is A4 B7 1.9 tdi diesel.

cheers Dan

Dan

does this help at all...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-SPE-RS6-ALLOY-WHEELS-ONLY-AUDI-A4-/140482398815?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims _Car_Rims_ET&hash=item20b5674a5f

DanA4
08-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Dan

does this help at all...

Yeah they're fine, I found these too, could you please check these if u got a min

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-18-WHEELS-TYRES-/130463350929?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_ Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item1e6038c091

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-brand-new-17-rs4b-vw-audi-style-alloy-wheels-/320459099267?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_ Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item4a9cd9cc83

Cheers :D

darich
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
19's it is then next time, just that i heard conflicting info on 19's being to harsh. What brand of tyres are you running, my problem is i have just replaced all 4 of my tyres in the last 2 months so got a few miles left be fore i can go up to 19's :aargh4:

When I bought the wheels they were fitted with Avon ZZ3 which I found to be fine. Maybe a touch noisy on the motorway but I never noticed that until I changed them to Kumho Ecsta 31 about 2 months ago.

I immediately thought the car was quieter but given the realitively short time they've been fitted I can't say accurately how they compare to the Avons in other respects.

bambamjj
08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah they're fine, I found these too, could you please check these if u got a min

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-18-WHEELS-TYRES-/130463350929?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_ Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item1e6038c091

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-brand-new-17-rs4b-vw-audi-style-alloy-wheels-/320459099267?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_ Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item4a9cd9cc83

Cheers :D

Dan

1st one looks good, only limit is your budget really. and whether you are prepared to go for copies and get brand new tyres rather than used wheels and tyres, if that makes sense, but the price they are at the moment if you can get them for good price go for it.

2nd ones seem a bit vague and personally i prefer the style of the first ones, but that is just personal preference.

Im no expert but i do study things a lot before buying etc. Hope it helps.

regards

DanA4
08-12-2010, 07:18 PM
[/QUOTE]

cheers for the feedback, the seller mentioned that the tyres on the second hand alloys need replacing, that means 4 brand new 18" tyres, so the idea is to see how much will they cost + the cost of 4 new tyres!

thanks again :beerchug:

Dan

bambamjj
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Dan

Make sure you post some before and after shots here.

One thing to note, and it was excessive but i paid £600 for set of 4 tyres :(

Maybe worth going for copies with tyres included.

Good luck

jdp1962
11-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Hello Dan

Regards Jon

Not riubbish at all. If you change from 16" to, say, 18" wheels with wider tyres, then I'm afraid yes, your fuel consumption will increase. Firstly, the bigger wheels are heavier. Secondly, the wider tyres increase aerodynamic drag. I have direct experience of this from my previous A4, a B6 2.4SE.

bambamjj
12-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Not riubbish at all. If you change from 16" to, say, 18" wheels with wider tyres, then I'm afraid yes, your fuel consumption will increase. Firstly, the bigger wheels are heavier. Secondly, the wider tyres increase aerodynamic drag. I have direct experience of this from my previous A4, a B6 2.4SE.

OK i stand corrected, but at the end of the day what ever you do it is still going to be well within the spec of the vehicle, otherwise audi would not spec as an option and im sure the difference will be minimal.

Only time i have noticed a difference was with Landrovers putting great big aggresive tyres on.

Any way at the end of the day its your choice.... personally i say go for it!

jdp1962
12-12-2010, 11:41 AM
OK i stand corrected, but at the end of the day what ever you do it is still going to be well within the spec of the vehicle, otherwise audi would not spec as an option and im sure the difference will be minimal.

Only time i have noticed a difference was with Landrovers putting great big aggresive tyres on.

Any way at the end of the day its your choice.... personally i say go for it!

Don't get me wrong; I'm not advocated notfitting bigger wheels. I'm merely making sure people have good information when deciding. In the case of my old car, the increase in consumption was around 10%. People will have their own views on whether that's significant or not.

chev
12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com

have a look and see what you think.

these are where i got my RS6 19's from for my 2005 B7. fit fine, no scraping even with 4 15-16 stone blokes in.

there aftersales is to be worked on as mine needed rebalancing and they struggled to get me in but when i was there with over £600 they fitted me in straight away. This may of been innocent but a coincidence!

good luck

chev

bambamjj
12-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Don't get me wrong; I'm not advocated notfitting bigger wheels. I'm merely making sure people have good information when deciding. In the case of my old car, the increase in consumption was around 10%. People will have their own views on whether that's significant or not.

Biggest issues i have ever had was the tyre boys fitting directional tyres the wrong way round, the drive was horrendous and the fuel economy/performance dropped dramatically :aargh4:

DanA4
12-12-2010, 04:43 PM
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com

have a look and see what you think.

good luck

chev

Thanks for the link Chev

darich
12-12-2010, 06:30 PM

An extra 10mm or even 20mm width of tyre will make next to no difference in aerodynamic drag. It will increase the friction and rolling resistance and that's where the extra fuel is required.

But additional air resistance???...doubt it very much:beerchug:

burkey1
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi

Hope this helps

I thought these were RS6 wheels not RS4?

bambamjj
12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I thought these were RS6 wheels not RS4?

Might be just assumed cos they were on my A4 the would be called RS4 :p

darich
12-12-2010, 11:33 PM
They are RS6 alloys :)

bambamjj
13-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Wish it was an RS6 :(

jdp1962
13-12-2010, 07:23 PM
An extra 10mm or even 20mm width of tyre will make next to no difference in aerodynamic drag. It will increase the friction and rolling resistance and that's where the extra fuel is required.

But additional air resistance???...doubt it very much:beerchug:

I must admit, I hadn't thought about the frictional aspect as a cause - good point, well made. Getting back to the aerodynamics, I know the increase in frontal area of wider tyres seems small in proportion to the whole car, yet I do recall that when Audi set a then world record for the lowest ever drag co-efficient when it launched the C3 100/200 range in the 1980s, the test car ran on pretty skinny tyres.

The central point does hold up; that for a variety of reasons, bigger wheels combined with wider tyres will result in noticeably increased fuel consumption.