PDA

View Full Version : Jerky DSG

bozal
07-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Anyone noticed an issue with their DSG box, mine occaisionaly seems to shudder when pulling away. Works fine through all other gears

chris.fulton
07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Can't say I've had such a problem with my DSG gearbox. May be worth taking your car to the dealers to get it investigated

skyblue
07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
For the first couple weeks i did feel the car was jerking it a bit when pulling away. i noticed for example when i was at a junction, stationary waiting to pull out it didn't change down to 1st gear all the time and sometimes was in 2nd or even 3rd. Is the same thing happening to you? i just assumed the car was wearing in, how old and how many miles has your car done?

bozal
08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Other forums indicate that this problem has been encountered before. Car is only a year old but has done 20 thousand miles. I will take it to the dealer. Thanks for the replies

Gerryf
08-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Could be something and nothing Bozal ?....be sure to present your car to the VW dealer.

Is it a 6 or 7 speed box ?

bozal
08-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Its a seven speed box. works perfectly at all other times.

Gerryf
08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
We could speculate until the cows come home......dry clutch contamination could be a possibility...dodgy engine/gearbox mounts, drive-shafts, out of true clutch cover or disc ?....the possibilities are open ended IMO.
Does the fault ever disappear....heat related ?

Have the fault documented regardless of any dismissal they might offer.

johnloaderuk
08-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe check here for similar issues http://www.dsgproblems.co.uk/

On the Passat forum some have had the mechatronic unit replaced http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=105503

bozal
08-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I have not noticed it being heat related. It is now booked in with the dealer so I will hopefully find out in due course. Thanks for the link, worth knowing about the other problems.

samiur100
06-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi, I have the exact same problem with my DSG. It's always moving off from stationary. Don't know what it is. Have the dealers diagnosed the problem yet?

harltech
07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
faulty Mechatronic unit. very common.

causes jerky gear changes, jerky pulling away and comes down gears very harsh.

welshpedro
07-03-2011, 10:04 PM
A previous company car was a 2008 Passat Sport 170 DSG, and I had a jerky gear change too.. more noticeable when crawling in trafic when cold... Went back to the dealers a couple of times and they then diagnosed a faulty gearbox and changed it... car was really smooth after this

avtur
09-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm in the process of ordering a new company car. In the last week I've driven 1.6tdi and 2.0tdi both with dsg gearbox. I have to say the performance of the gearbox on both cars was 'spot on'.

Both test cars got a real good pounding, in terms of low speed manoeuvring, extreme hill starts in forward and reverse, gentle diving & hard driving, as a result of this I was really impressed and have placed an order for new car including DSG box ...

JETTA-07
23-03-2013, 10:18 PM
I have had the same problem on my 2011 Golf, the dealer were claiming the couldn't reproduce the fault, got to the point I felt the the car wouldn't react at junctions - a few hairy moments.

I asked to be present during te test drive and all of a sudden, the mechanic experienced the fault - now awaiting a new mechatronics unit. Has anyone had the unit changed - does it make a difference??

VW seem to be in serious denial over this fault - their customer service people advised me that it is a known fault but not enough cars showing it!

avtur
24-03-2013, 11:21 AM
My car (2011 Estate 1.6TDI + DSG) is sitting at 35,000 miles so far the gearbox has performed faultlessly, which is great.

However I'm just about to loose the car (along with the job I'm loosing!) which means I'm going to have to put my hand in my pocket and buy a car.

As much as I think that DSG is great, I would only ever have it on company car, there seem to be too many problems associated with the box and and unsupportive dealers. So while driving a company car no of this is a problem, any costs and inconvenience have to be picked up by the company. But as a private individual, there's no way I would put myself in line for that trouble.

Sad state of affairs really.

-M-
24-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Over here in Oz due to the higher number of vehicles with DSG's there are a few quite common faults with 7 speed DSG boxes.

1 the clutch pack can cause judder when pulling away due to corrosion of componants.
2 the mechatronics unit can cause jerky gearshifts
3 the mechatronics can develop a short circuit fault which blows a fuse and will not allow the vehicle to start.

There are TPI's and software updates available for some faults but others require part replacements.

c4a5er
24-03-2013, 01:07 PM
China VW recall currently in the news,......google "7 speed DSG recall"

perhaps European vehicles will be next?