PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying an Audi Q7

FrancisF
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Guys, a newbie poster after some advice please.

I am seriously considering purchasing a used 2007-2008 Audi Q7. I have read some of the horror stories about tyre wear and was wondering are the problems exclusive to a certain size of tyre or does it effect all models across S line - S.E.?

In addition is the problem related to soft compound tyres or are hard compound tyres a possible solution? Have any Q7 owners found any other solutions to the problem?

I reluctantly can live with wear between 10-12k miles all considered however if the problem is as bad as possible wear between 4-8k miles I'm afraid its a non starter.

Your advice is appreciated.

thanks

Francis.

mav696
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi there, I have 285 x 35 x 22 on the car, I have Toyo Proxes on the rims and I had them filled with nitrogen with comfort mode on the suspension and they still have good tread after about 14k miles.
Hope this helps, bear in mind your driving style.

andynpz
11-12-2010, 03:24 AM
Francis, I have 19" wheels. The OEM tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 which are very much performance biased - from memory the treadwear rating is 240 so they will wear comparatively quickly, but then they grip well.......in summer anyway! I'd say 10-12k easily achievable, especially if you rotate front to back halfway.

Cheers, Andy

pld118
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I have an S-line with 20" alloy wheels and have always used the 'Audi recommended' Good Year tyres. The last set of 4 tyres lasted 16000 miles.

I run the car on the 'Dynamic' setting as I was advised that can assist in prolonging the longevity of the tyres.

I also have the tyres inflated to a pressure commensurate with the car being fully laden with passengers and luggage, again in an effort to keep tyre wear at bay (the fully laden pressure recommended by Audi for the car).

I personally don't think the ride is uncomfortable as a result of my tactics. I do think that 16000 miles is not bad at all for such a car. Then again, we don't hammer the car either so it might also be partially down to driving style.

Just my own experience that others might disagree with but you can make you own mind up.

All the best.

Q7 Man
18-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Guys, a newbie poster after some advice please.

I am seriously considering purchasing a used 2007-2008 Audi Q7. I have read some of the horror stories about tyre wear and was wondering are the problems exclusive to a certain size of tyre or does it effect all models across S line - S.E.?

In addition is the problem related to soft compound tyres or are hard compound tyres a possible solution? Have any Q7 owners found any other solutions to the problem?

I reluctantly can live with wear between 10-12k miles all considered however if the problem is as bad as possible wear between 4-8k miles I'm afraid its a non starter.

Your advice is appreciated.

thanks

Francis.

earlier q7 s had air suspension probs which made them eat tyres make sure the mod is done but my Q7 which is a 59 plate eats them at 10k not a lot really but shes a heavy girl lol

pld118
19-02-2011, 07:30 AM
earlier q7 s had air suspension probs which made them eat tyres make sure the mod is done but my Q7 which is a 59 plate eats them at 10k not a lot really but shes a heavy girl lol

Hi,

What was the suspension problem exactly?

What is the mod/ free at the dealer?

Thanks

Q7 Man
19-02-2011, 03:05 PM
my dealer told me older Q 7s had a aliengment problem with the air suspension he said that audi had sorted the problem peeps wer going thru tyres very quick ive got 10k out of mine but you must ensure you check tyre presures on a weekly basis

pld118
19-02-2011, 10:19 PM
my dealer told me older Q 7s had a aliengment problem with the air suspension he said that audi had sorted the problem peeps wer going thru tyres very quick ive got 10k out of mine but you must ensure you check tyre presures on a weekly basis

Thanks... I do check my tyres weekly and run them at 49psi rear/ 44 front which is as per guideline for full load (5 adults plus luggage). I also have the car on permanent dynamic setting too... all in an effort to give longer life to the tyres (got 16 to 17 k out of last set of Good Years and we'll see what the current set manage)...