PDA

View Full Version : make car not run

creazer2k
07-12-2010, 12:43 AM
hi people bit of a long story.
I'm going on holiday and I want to secure my car by taking out a component that will not allow car to run. my brther will defo drive if I leave it. please something different than disconnect thre battery

cheers

kite
07-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Take the engine out.................

turbine2
07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
How much work do you want to do? Can you identify engine components? Can he?

Small jobs:-
Disconnect HT lead
Remove starter relay

Larger jobs:-
Wire in an extra switch to the ignition citcuit that only you know about
Short out the gear sensor (in automatic cars) so it thinks it's in gear
Disconnect clutch cable (in manual cars with a clutch cable)
Disconnect electric fuel pump (if fitted)
Drain all fuel out of the tank

Eshrules
07-12-2010, 09:24 AM
take the key?

btw - if you don't want your brother driving it and he does, report him for twoc'ing it - simples.

Guest 2
07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Take the wheels off and leave it on bricks?
Park it At the airport while you're away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickPicks
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Take both keys with you. That's the easiest way.

If you're worried about losing them, leave one in "left luggage" and take the other with you.

When I flew from Gatwick, the Ramada Jarvis there will let you stay overnight and leave your car there for 2 weeks for less than it costs to park at the airport.

If you remove a component than depending on how much he knows about cars, he could just replace it.

If I wanted to disable mine, I'd take out the plug leads, but it's a lot of hassle, and you'll have to make sure you reconnect them properly, and you'll have to hide them so he won't just put them back in, and if he just keeps on trying to start it, you'll come back to a flat battery.

Alternatively, park it at someone else's house or at work.

Sam
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Remove the fuel pump relay.

zollaf
07-12-2010, 01:35 PM
run the fuel tank really low, then fill up with the wrong fuel. leave the keys so your brother does use it, as it will then cost him a small fortune to get it recovered and fixed.

Sam
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Give your brother your ticket and stay home!

NickPicks
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
use vag-com to set the engine management so far outside of its normal parameters that it won't start.

But remember to note down what they should be.

macmillions
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Put a steering wheel lock on it?
Fuel pump relay sounds like the best bet to me.

But I have to ask, seriously, why would he definately drive it if you have specifically told him not to?

DropKickMurphy
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
the way i see it if he will try and drive the car then the car isnt the problem - your bro is.

get him sectioned! that way he will be nice and warm in his nice padded cell and your car will be nie and safe :D

DKM

Eshrules
08-12-2010, 03:03 PM
hi people bit of a long story.
I'm going on holiday and I want to secure my car by taking out a component that will not allow car to run. my brther will defo drive if I leave it. please something different than disconnect thre battery

cheers

just re-read this.

that's the shortest long story I've ever read.

like the never ending story that, well, ended.