PDA

View Full Version : vrs good buy

a8 tech
24-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I was umming and arhing about what car to buy 12 months ago as i sold my much loved mark 4 golf gti 1.8 t but i decided on the octavia vrs 1.8t est.After 12 months i must say it has been a belter and no issue with it at all,the boot space is much bigger than the A4 and it has the power of tt unlike the passat which is ugly and slower and the even uglier golf est.My sales manager has always joked about my skoda as i work for a audi dealer but yesterday he got the shock of his life when he attempted to race me in his 2.0 tfsi a4 special edition s line £32000 worth and had his *** kicked.Considering i payed £6200 for my 03 vrs est with 60000 miles on it i cant stop laughing at him.So he had a go and confirmed that not only is there loads of power but it drives superb.On a recent trip to wales i was getting 42 mpg and that is better than the 2.0 tdi a4.I normally change cars every 12 months but have no intention this time and i am considering buying the new vrs est next year(second hand of course).A BIG WHO HA TO SKODA FOR GETTING IT BANG ON WITH THE VRS AND A BIG BOO TO THE BADGE SNOBS:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: lets here from some of you skoda drivers and your experiance so far.I return 400 miles to a full tank and my journey to work is 12 miles urban,that aint bad in my book

Eshrules
24-06-2007, 11:46 AM
nice to hear good reports coming back from skoda owners! i've been looking at skodas for my missus' car. the usual sniggers and jibes have been made by those ignorant people, i dont bother to explain any more.

can i just ask,what bhp its running? 400 miles on an urban run really isnt bad economy, i average around 550/600 in my golf tdi.

im on course for an upgrade in around 12/18 months, im seriously considering either a passat or an octy....

a8 tech
24-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Its standard 180 bhp,no mods at all and it is better than my old golf on fuel economy by about 40 miles.I have been doing the same route to work for 3 years and average journey involves queing up for 10 mins as well

Eshrules
24-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Its standard 180 bhp,no mods at all and it is better than my old golf on fuel economy by about 40 miles.I have been doing the same route to work for 3 years and average journey involves queing up for 10 mins as well

that bits the unusual part really, isnt it? i just checked the insurance group.... i think ill be waiting a few years before i get one :o

Archroy
24-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I got my 03 plate Vrs hatch just over 2 weeks ago, not had much time to test i out yet thou. One thing I have noticed is despite its power and capability, its a real pussycat around town in traffic, not hard work like my old alfa ! People who know, compliment, those who dont, rip the p*** ! I dont care thou, quick, agile, and rides well. Managed to waste a cocky get in a 325 beeemer up a slip road this morning, wiped the smug grin off his face so much made his fake tan run !:biglaugh:

That is why I bought it, unassiming looks with only a few clues to the ill-informed of what it can do. Off to brighton next week in convoy for a stag do, all the other drivers have ribbed me about the skoda so far, revenge is a dish best served throu brand new Michelins ;)

Archroy
24-06-2007, 07:03 PM
that bits the unusual part really, isnt it? i just checked the insurance group.... i think ill be waiting a few years before i get one :o

Got mine throu more than

33, Publican, no garage and city centre location. 5yrs ncb, including missus (held licence only 9 months) to drive, £372 Inc business cover & breakdown ! dont rule it out too soon carl !

a8 tech
24-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Yes your correct,my wife just potters about in it and loves it.I think they look good to.As for the insurance i pay £500 fully comp and i was paying £450 on the golf .Keep it coming vrs rock

a8 tech
24-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Come on eshrules,join the vrs club

Eshrules
25-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Got mine throu more than

33, Publican, no garage and city centre location. 5yrs ncb, including missus (held licence only 9 months) to drive, £372 Inc business cover & breakdown ! dont rule it out too soon carl !

Yes your correct,my wife just potters about in it and loves it.I think they look good to.As for the insurance i pay £500 fully comp and i was paying £450 on the golf .Keep it coming vrs rock

Come on eshrules,join the vrs club

im 22, i live on a council estate and i have 1 years NCB, i currently pay £1500 on my golf, there is no way on gods earth i could afford the insurance yet :( both the insurance and my missus would hammer me:(

a8 tech
25-06-2007, 06:12 PM
£1500 ding dong thats steep.

Eshrules
25-06-2007, 09:15 PM

:( i know, but thats what you get when the other half of your generation are irresponsible chavs:(

derby4life
27-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these ....does any one know what they sound like after a k&n induction kit is fitted ??

just one little worry ...does the 1.8 engine still go ok after a bit of a load in it......

I'm just in the processes of selling my veccy GSI 2.5 V6 ...I'm going to miss it and the noise it makes :(

but I need some thing thats not so expensive to run ...and the estate fits the bill brilliantly :biglaugh:

a8 tech
27-06-2007, 07:29 PM
:beerchug: I.8 T is very reliable and can be modified easily and safely to 250 bhp plus.I have the estate and there pretty rare but i had contact at skoda who found me mine and i find the boot space is massive.Come on you know it makes sense buy a vrs:beerchug:

derby4life
27-06-2007, 07:38 PM
:beerchug: I.8 T is very reliable and can be modified easily and safely to 250 bhp plus.I have the estate and there pretty rare but i had contact at skoda who found me mine and i find the boot space is massive.Come on you know it makes sense buy a vrs:beerchug:

I really do think I'll buy one....I've got about £7,000 to spent and looking through all my options they look to give the best over all deal

first of I wanted a volvo V70 T5 ...very nice and very fast ...BUT...finding one with low mileage for the type of monay I have is a no no...even the D5 was to much £££

so then I wanted the Audi A6 avant 2.5 tdi ...but again for the price I have the milesge was hhuuuuugeee ...gutted caus I really like them :mad:

so it kind of leaves me with the vRS.....the only thing that lets them down in my eye's is the interior ....bit boring don't ya think :Blush:

a8 tech
27-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes the dash and the door trims look cheap and boring but the seats are fine.But vw interiors are hardly lively.You will forget the interior when you boot it past the more expensive A6 TDI AT A FRACTION OF THE COST

mluton
27-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Ive had mine just short of 12 months. I love it still, puts a smile on my face every morning. I only do smaller runs to work and back (no motorway) and i achieve 32 mpg, which isnt bad.
Insurance group 16 is a killer, but with full no claims, no points and a reasonable post code. £440 sorts me out with mods declaired. Fully loaded with 5 people it still puts the power down well.

Also running the Carbonio and Forge 007 DV, the noise it makes is lovely. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Remap is my next pressie to it, this will transform the car.

derby4life
27-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Ive had mine just short of 12 months. I love it still, puts a smile on my face every morning. I only do smaller runs to work and back (no motorway) and i achieve 32 mpg, which isnt bad.
Insurance group 16 is a killer, but with full no claims, no points and a reasonable post code. £440 sorts me out with mods declaired. Fully loaded with 5 people it still puts the power down well.

Also running the Carbonio and Forge 007 DV, the noise it makes is lovely. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Remap is my next pressie to it, this will transform the car.

I'm not to bothered about the group 16...thats what my veccy GSI is at the mo...and I live in the sticks

and what the hecks the Carbonio and Forge 007 DV :confused:

as I said above ..I'll really miss my GSI ...its always put a smile on my face driving it ...

plus its the longest I've ever had a car ...4 years ...60k miles later and probably 50k of them were following Derby around the country :biglaugh:

a8 tech
27-06-2007, 08:41 PM

Remap is my next pressie to it, this will transform the car.Hello mluton,glad to hear you love your vrs and i agree the fuel consumption is fantastic for the size and power of the car:beerchug:

mluton
27-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not to bothered about the group 16...thats what my veccy GSI is at the mo...and I live in the sticks

and what the hecks the Carbonio and Forge 007 DV :confused:

as I said above ..I'll really miss my GSI ...its always put a smile on my face driving it ...

plus its the longest I've ever had a car ...4 years ...60k miles later and probably 50k of them were following Derby around the country :biglaugh:

Carbonio is a Cold Air Intake.;)

Forge 007 is a diverter Valve.:p

t5psr
01-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi, I had one of these absolutly superb motor, far better built that the car I had before it a v6 4motion bora and quicker, It was my first turbo car so i had it chipped at Jabbasport in peterborough upped it to 226bhp, f**k me what a difference but the only problem was it's too soft to take it used to try and wheelie!! when you nailed it from low speed, but fabulous when you suprised a few people in cupra r's etc, currently driving a chipped focus st3 great car but pound for pound the original vrs are untouchable

a8 tech
01-07-2007, 01:23 PM
oh yes thats the reaction i had when i first road tested mine,and the feel of the car is so much better than the mark 4 golf

Eshrules
02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
oh yes thats the reaction i had when i first road tested mine,and the feel of the car is so much better than the mark 4 golf

oi lol you're on thin ice there mister ;)

is it really that good though? i thought it was based on the passat? which as we all know, isnt that good on road holding?

mluton
02-07-2007, 07:14 PM
oi lol you're on thin ice there mister ;)

is it really that good though? i thought it was based on the passat? which as we all know, isnt that good on road holding?

nope based on the golf.

t5psr
02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I must admit they're a bit soft on the suspension which makes them comfortable and they,re a big motor (massive boot) but compared with the v6 bora i had and the wifes mk4 gti turbo the build quality is far superior and this is part of the reason you respect them so much once you've had one yes ther a bit bland but most german cars are (yes I know there czech!) but they were well specced and quick out the box, jabbasport love'em, I have even though about buying 1.8t 4x4 model taking to jabbasport they will fit a IHI turbo and remap etc 300+bhp Is easily acheivable for under £1500, a 300+bhp 4wd reliable stealth car for about £6-7000 good value me thinks, mind you you would have to get them to sort the suspension out as well

a8 tech
08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I am of course relating to the golf est,and thats a better picture of yourself.Regards Jon

a8 tech
06-09-2007, 10:09 PM
o no i nearly sold my vrs today for a diesel a4.Well we all have bad days:biglaugh:

maxell
31-10-2007, 11:04 PM
o no i nearly sold my vrs today for a diesel a4.Well we all have bad days:biglaugh:

Would have been a smart move :p

a8 tech
31-10-2007, 11:10 PM
possibly,but there boring and i cant seem to let go of the vrs it makes me smile and i would say i would have a 2.0tfsi as i love em but not a diesel lover.

greg123
07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
All anyone intelligent has to do is look at the warrantydirect survey results for reliability over the years, the octavia comes out WAY higher than VW or AUDI who are both down the middle of the list. In one year I looked the Octavia was the MOST reliable and trouble free car, bar the Lexus which only beat it by 0.5%. It may use the same parts bin as VW, but somehow that (newer?) factory is QC'ing and screwing stuff together better.

a8 tech
07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Well said Greg

paul b
19-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Nothing like bringing an old thread back to life! :D

This is my first visit to the Skoda section, having recently become the owner of a 2000 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI. I know it won't quite live up to the VRS' mentioned in this thread... but I like it.

And that is despite it having problems! It's peeing all of its oil out of the exhaust, I put 2 litres back in and its gushed out within 2 minutes of idling on the driveway. It's had £2,900 worth of parts spent on it by the previous owner, and now I have a turbo on the way, which I hope will cure it, as I reckon the turbo is leaking all the oil into the exhaust.

Well the Octy will be passed onto my son when he passes his test... having an SK postcode and him being 17 will mean we have an insurance quote of over £2,500 for him... quite possibly over £3k. :(

She also has other problems, the passenger side rear electric window goes down... but the jams and won't go back up. :o

Also the wipers stay wiping until you take the key out of the ignition. :o

But I'll sort that out. :D

Paul